Gas $1.99 in Delaware

bartshan-83

I forget the company... But they show the guy himing and hawing while the dude in the car (pouring rain) honks his horn repeatedly... Fussing to get the gear on and then he runs out fast to ONLY flip the sign and then runs back!

:w00t::thumbsup:

It may be just IL law?? I saw it on the pillar to the roof where they put all the regs about fire safe containers, no smoking, and no cellphone use during pumping (static)...

The sign may be an Illinois thing. As for the providing service to the disabled, according to Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge :sick: )

The Oregon statute was brought into court in 1989 by ARCO, and the New Jersey statute was challenged in court in 1950 by a small independent service station, Rein Motors. Both failed. In addition, throughout the rest of the United States, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that the equivalent of "mini-serve" be provided to any individual displaying a disabled parking placard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_station

There is little chance of getting that at many stations, in this area.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sign may be an Illinois thing. As for the providing service to the disabled, according to Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge :sick: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_station

There is little chance of getting that at many stations, in this area.

What is "mini-service"?

Is that where they just put fuel in? No checking the oil, tires, and cleaning the windows...

??

Oh, BTW... I wouldn't want a dolt touching my car... Even if it is a gas cap.

What is "mini-service"?

Is that where they just put fuel in? No checking the oil, tires, and cleaning the windows...

??

I like it cause I don't have to get out of the car in the pouring rain, snow, wind, etc. :sick:

:sick: When did the laws in other states ease up on self-serve? The 1970's? Gas stations must be blowing up all around the nation since then.

I can understand in the early days why self-serve was frowned upon... With safety and all... Then factor in the old manual pumps... Stations would surely be getting ripped off.

Do you think NJ not changing it has to do with NJ's strange culture with regards to the service industry? Do gas attendants in NJ expect a tip? :w00t:

It's the Mob. :thumbsup:

What is "mini-service"?

??

My brother is disabled and has a very hard time pumping his own gas. This is exacerbated if he has to walk to the cashier, and walk back. Add weather and it is pretty much of a nightmare for him. Solution? The Dean has to take his car to get gas, or meet him at the station. I was certain there was a full serve somewhere near his house, my place or where he gets dialysis. Nope. And, in most of the places, the pumps are so far from the store/cashier, no one would ever hear you beep, or think of coming to your aid if they heard you. Now, some places may have intercoms at the pumps, but I have yet to see one work.

My brother is disabled and has a very hard time pumping his own gas. This is exacerbated if he has to walk to the cashier, and walk back. Add weather and it is pretty much of a nightmare for him. Solution? The Dean has to take his car to get gas, or meet him at the station. I was certain there was a full serve somewhere near his house, my place or where he gets dialysis. Nope. And, in most of the places, the pumps are so far from the store/cashier, no one would ever hear you beep, or think of coming to your aid if they heard you. Now, some places may have intercoms at the pumps, but I have yet to see one work.

That is right... I am almost sure most pumps have intercoms here at the pumps... I do remember seeing them. Now that I think of it, the sign says when a manager is on duty... So there are time restrictions.

Kinda sucks for the disabled I guess. Not to sound cold, but if they are out and about (some have the chairs on electric ramps and what not)... What would be the big deal with pumping gas vs. anything else they are out and about doing like going to the store or whatever? I agree that maybe the pay at the pump thing and ammenties should be made to better facilitate disabled people's use... Maybe the gas pumps can take cash?? Again, my argument is that is you are out, how hard can pumping gas be if everything at the pump is made accessible?... Why would they be out and about in the first place??

Please, I am not trying to be cold... Just INCLUSIVE. If one is out and about everything should be made accessible to the fullest. I just don't think pumping gas is more of an obstacle than actually driving the car. If you can drive it, technology today can afford you the means to fill it up.

That is right... I am almost sure most pumps have intercoms here at the pumps... I do remember seeing them. Now that I think of it, the sign says when a manager is on duty... So there are time restrictions.

Kinda sucks for the disabled I guess. Not to sound cold, but if they are out and about (some have the chairs on electric ramps and what not)... What would be the big deal with pumping gas vs. anything else they are out and about doing like going to the store or whatever? I agree that maybe the pay at the pump thing and ammenties should be made to better facilitate disabled people's use... Maybe the gas pumps can take cash?? Again, my argument is that is you are out, how hard can pumping gas be if everything at the pump is made accessible?... Why would they be out and about in the first place??

Please, I am not trying to be cold... Just INCLUSIVE. If one is out and about everything should be made accessible to the fullest. I just don't think pumping gas is more of an obstacle than actually driving the car. If you can drive it, technology today can afford you the means to fill it up.

I can't speak for others, but for my brother getting the cap off and back on is problematic, as is standing for the time it takes to fill the car. He can do it, if he has to...it takes a really long time, though. Bad weather simply makes the situation much worse.

I can't speak for others, but for my brother getting the cap off and back on is problematic, as is standing for the time it takes to fill the car. He can do it, if he has to...it takes a really long time, though. Bad weather simply makes the situation much worse.

I understand. Hope the new tech can only make his life easier!!

More like MY life easier. ;)

That too! You are a good man for helping out your Bro! He doesn't decide to fill up at all hours of the night? Anyway, you can just hit the nearest tap if you guys drink... That is always a good bro bonding activity. Back in the day, my father would "go get a haircut" with his brother say in the middle of the day on a Saturday. Least I say, my mother wouldn't see him/them again till she was bailing him/them out of jail for starting a fight! Ah, the "good 'ole dayz!" :sick::w00t:

:thumbsup::P

No such signs in Florida, don't remember them in NYS or California, either, to tell the truth.

I've seen them here in NY. They're few and far between though.

I agree that maybe the pay at the pump thing and ammenties should be made to better facilitate disabled people's use... Maybe the gas pumps can take cash??

I've seen a pump set up for cash also, it was a newer one, so maybe they're just starting to come out?

how timely....today on comcast.net they list 12 silly auto laws....

5. Unhand that nozzle!

In Oregon and New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas. Supposedly this practice keeps gasoline prices lower in those states, because insurance costs for gas stations go down if attendants instead of customers pump the gas – but, on the other hand, that attendant must be paid, whereas you pump for free. So the jury’s out on the reasons for this one.

how timely....today on comcast.net they list 12 silly auto laws....

5. Unhand that nozzle!

In Oregon and New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas. Supposedly this practice keeps gasoline prices lower in those states, because insurance costs for gas stations go down if attendants instead of customers pump the gas – but, on the other hand, that attendant must be paid, whereas you pump for free. So the jury’s out on the reasons for this one.

Why is this silly? I love that I don't have to get out of my car. :unsure: