2008-9 Syracuse University Basketball Thread

bills44

First game of the season (albeit an exhibition) tonight vs. Cal State - Los Angeles. Cal State- Los Angeles is coached by Stevie Thompson.

Should be an interesting season...no Scoop Jardine, and Donte went to the NBA, but Devendorf and Rautins are back. SU also added Kris Joseph and Mookie Jones, two freshmen who should be able to provide some help.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did i miss something about scoop? i knew he had some issues, but didnt realize he wasnt part of the team...i dont think....hmmmm

First game of the season (albeit an exhibition) tonight vs. Cal State - Los Angeles. Cal State- Los Angeles is coached by Stevie Thompson.

Should be an interesting season...no Scoop Jardine, and Donte went to the NBA, but Devendorf and Rautins are back. SU also added Kris Joseph and Mookie Jones, two freshmen who should be able to provide some help.

did i miss something about scoop? i knew he had some issues, but didnt realize he wasnt part of the team...i dont think....hmmmm

he redshirted this year - stress fracture in his left tibia, IIRC. Supposedly, the injury bothered him last year as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm travelling up from Cornell to see my Big Red face 'Cuse on December 3rd. Should be a really good game. I say Cornell wins by 5.

I'm coming with the whole sports department of my radio station and we're trying to recruit others to make the trip as well so that the Big Red can have a sizeable cheering section.

I'm travelling up from Cornell to see my Big Red face 'Cuse on December 3rd. Should be a really good game. I say Cornell wins by 5.

I'm coming with the whole sports department of my radio station and we're trying to recruit others to make the trip as well so that the Big Red can have a sizeable cheering section.

High above Cayuga's waters

There's an awful smell

Some say it's Cayuga's waters

I say it's Cornell

:thumbdown:

Big win last night.

Harris, while shaky from the FT line, had a solid game.

Flynn was excellent.

Joseph, once again, looked very impressive.

Gonna be tough to beat Kansas in what amounts to a road game, but if they do, maybe Gottlieb and Dukie V will STFU for a day or two.

Big win last night.

Harris, while shaky from the FT line, had a solid game.

Flynn was excellent.

Joseph, once again, looked very impressive.

Gonna be tough to beat Kansas in what amounts to a road game, but if they do, maybe Gottlieb and Dukie V will STFU for a day or two.

Great win! If we can follow it up with a win tonight, our resume will look sweet. Although I've got to say that our zone needs a lot of work.

By the way, what's the deal with our problems inbounding the ball. We had 3-4 turnovers because guys weren't looking on inbounds passes??? So freaking sloppy.

Bigtime win.

Two things that suck right now are defensive rebounding and Devendorf.

Overall you got to love the look of this team though.

Devendorf has blown ass so far this year.

Will JB finally realize that maybe, just maybe, he should play more man-to-man? The whole team looked energized when they went to man during their 2nd half run.

When they are playing zone D, rebounding will always be a problem.

Devendorf has blown ass so far this year.

Will JB finally realize that maybe, just maybe, he should play more man-to-man? The whole team looked energized when they went to man during their 2nd half run.

This group of players seems way more suitable for man to man. They are too inactive on D for an effective zone. I think Devendorf's game is exposed by long athletic players and they don't get longer or more athletic than Kansas.

Johnny Flynn's stock continues to rise. On this pace, he won't be back for his Junior year. They have a pretty big presence in the middle with Onuaku and Harris. Onuaku outplayed one of the top 5 big men in the nation in Cole Aldrich last night. Rautins is a streaky shooter, but once he gets going, he is pretty good getting the kick out 3 once Flynn gets pretty good penetration. Devendorf can knock down the triple as well but he is way too inconsistent and he is a turnover machine.

Looks like Cuse will be in the top 25 and maybe in creeps into the top 15 after their first 5 games. Not too bad for a team that was picked to finish 8th in the Big East by a lot of pundits.

Bigtime win.

Overall you got to love the look of this team though.

With Devendorf, you have to take the bad with the good. You get ten inopportune turnovers, but then you get 3-4 huge shots in a row down the stretch.

I'd like to see them go more with AO on the wing and Rick Jackson in the middle of the zone-- that would be a fierce rebounding line.

They have a pretty big presence in the middle with Onuaku and Harris.

Did you mean Harris or Jackson, because Paul measures in at about 6'3" and change (not the 6'5" that they list him at). He's a nice rebounder and all but when he's among the big trees in the Big East, he will get stuffed repeatedly just like last year.

Did you mean Harris or Jackson, because Paul measures in at about 6'3" and change (not the 6'5" that they list him at). He's a nice rebounder and all but when he's among the big trees in the Big East, he will get stuffed repeatedly just like last year.

I did mean Harris. He plays a lot bigger than his size. He had a team high 14 rebounds and his rebounding numbers have increase every year at Syracuse. He averaged more than 8 boards a game last year and this year he's averaging almost 10 a game. Even though his size wouldn't indicate it, he is a beast underneath and the physical presence teamed up with Onuaku's could win a lot of ball games for the Orange this year.

Jackson has done well when given the chance, he just isn't the scorer that Onuaku or Harris is. Yet.

"Cuse is in the house Oh My God Oh My God, Cuse is in the house Oh My God - Danger!"

Great game last night. The Falls boys were huge. What a clutch "3" by Flynn to force OT. Harris is a beast on the boards and in the lane.

It's early, but they've at least served notice that they're a force to be reckoned with in the Big East.

"Cuse is in the house Oh My God Oh My God, Cuse is in the house Oh My God - Danger!"

Great game last night. The Falls boys were huge. What a clutch "3" by Flynn to force OT. Harris is a beast on the boards and in the lane.

It's early, but they've at least served notice that they're a force to be reckoned with in the Big East.

The Falls boys were HUGE! You got that right, Chevy. I missed most of the first half, did they even mention Flynn and Harris came from the same HS? I have yet to hear that mentioned on ESPN (in-game, or highlights). It would make a good feature story.

One thing you can see from watching Flynn and Harris is, these guys play defense....and they play HARD, all game. They played at a time when NFHS basketball was really peaking. But, those NFHS teams were known for defense, and intensity...not just offense. I'm so happy to see these guys maintain that grinding work ethic. They won't go far without it, but if they keep it up, they can really surprise.

The Falls boys were HUGE! You got that right, Chevy. I missed most of the first half, did they even mention Flynn and Harris came from the same HS? I have yet to hear that mentioned on ESPN (in-game, or highlights). It would make a good feature story.

One thing you can see from watching Flynn and Harris is, these guys play defense....and they play HARD, all game. They played at a time when NFHS basketball was really peaking. But, those NFHS teams were known for defense, and intensity...not just offense. I'm so happy to see these guys maintain that grinding work ethic. They won't go far without it, but if they keep it up, they can really surprise.

Yeah, they mentioned it at some point in the first half - after one of Flynn's steal then slams. Hey, are you coming home for the Niagara Homecoming next June? Don't make me come get you :D

Yeah, they mentioned it at some point in the first half - after one of Flynn's steal then slams. Hey, are you coming home for the Niagara Homecoming next June? Don't make me come get you :censored:

June? That might actually be a possibility, although I typically come in July. As the date gets closer, remind me.

Another win for Cuse coming back from 13 down for the second straight game. Jackson spelled Onuaku off the bench late in the second half to provide a spark for the team. Good to see the big man contributing and getting some minutes and making the most of them.

We know better to get too excited about WNY teams getting off to a hot start. Time to temper the enthusiasm and wait til they start playing other teams in the Big East before anything.

Also, Georgetown looked very beatable against TEN today. I see them faltering a little bit as well.

Another win for Cuse coming back from 13 down for the second straight game. Jackson spelled Onuaku off the bench late in the second half to provide a spark for the team. Good to see the big man contributing and getting some minutes and making the most of them.

We know better to get too excited about WNY teams getting off to a hot start. Time to temper the enthusiasm and wait til they start playing other teams in the Big East before anything.

Also, Georgetown looked very beatable against TEN today. I see them faltering a little bit as well.

I'm pretty sure Jackson is spelled J-A-C-K-S-O-N :)

Nice comeback, but UVa is not a good team. Team didn't seem focused at all. Too many missed FTs (especially Rautins) down the stretch. Also, I love PH, but he needs to avoid being blocked by the rim on dunk attempts.

Tennessee was favored over GTown, and UT hit 60% + from 3-pt land. Not a bad loss at all, IMO.

3rd game in 5 days against "quality" opponents, not to mention the day after thanksgiving...i can give them a pass on not being too focused, the scoreboard is what matters most....

and was anyone outside of syracuse able to see the game? DTV had it listed on ch 720, but none of the sportsbars here in Richmond could get it....and being it was UVA, I cannot believe this game was not televised 45 minutes outside of charlottesville.....i had to keep running out to my car to listen to it on sirius....

Nice comeback, but UVa is not a good team. Team didn't seem focused at all. Too many missed FTs (especially Rautins) down the stretch. Also, I love PH, but he needs to avoid being blocked by the rim on dunk attempts.

Tennessee was favored over GTown, and UT hit 60% + from 3-pt land. Not a bad loss at all, IMO.

3rd game in 5 days against "quality" opponents, not to mention the day after thanksgiving...i can give them a pass on not being too focused, the scoreboard is what matters most....

and was anyone outside of syracuse able to see the game? DTV had it listed on ch 720, but none of the sportsbars here in Richmond could get it....and being it was UVA, I cannot believe this game was not televised 45 minutes outside of charlottesville.....i had to keep running out to my car to listen to it on sirius....

POOJ--I couldn't find the game on regular DTV channels. 720 is part of the ESPN pay package.

Yah Tennessee hit a ridiculous # of luckbox bankshots.

UVA at home is definitely not an impressive win (they don't have anybody who can make a shot), but at this point in the season it's more about the result and less about style points...huge relief to avoid the typical Syracuse letdown loss.

I thought Jackson missed more gimmes than Harris.

Not really worried about good FT shooters struggling from the line.

I am worried about the ongoing deplorable defensive rebounding. Every time Onaku has to rotate and challenge a shot, there's nobody to rebound on the weak side....we're going to get mauled by Uconn/Pitt if that doesn't get fixed.

mookie finally got some court time, appears he played well

Not that it matters, but a little surprised to only move up to #20 in the polls.

Nice to see them pound a cupcake tonight as they should have....was mildly concerned they'd be fatigued and win by 4 or something.

Syracuse looks like they're going to beat Cornell, despite the efforts of Ryan Wittman, Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins.

Done! 88-78, led, once again, by the boys from Niagara Falls High School. Go Wolverines!