Any word on Josh Reed?

Mark Vader

All I heard was that he was injured in the 3rd quarter. Never saw him after that.

Has there been a report on what happened to him?

His loss was also greatly felt today in the 2nd half.

Edit: Sorry about the double post. Please delete this thread Mods.

Strained Achilles, not sprained. Jauron clearly said strained in the post game news conference. Here's KFFL's take:

Bills | Reed injured Week 8

Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:13:22 -0700

NFL.com reports Buffalo Bills WR Josh Reed (Achilles') suffered a strained Achilles' during the team's Week 8 game.

Josh is a player some take for granted, or don't think highly of, until he is gone from the lineup. He is a big difference maker, in his gritty way, for that offense.

I agree...you could see just how badly they missed in 3rd down situations in the 2nd half---that guy is a bigtime 3rd down converter for that offense...

Josh is a player some take for granted, or don't think highly of, until he is gone from the lineup. He is a big difference maker, in his gritty way, for that offense.

Yeah, and he's really shown it this season IMO. Take today for example, early in the 1st Q, maybe on the 1st Bills' drive, he caught the pass 2 yds short, lowered his shoulder, and broke through 2 tackles for a 1st and then some on 3rd and a handful. Although I was happy with Hardy today, JR was missed come crunch time. Cue: You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

Dean, you nailed it. He's become a very competent receiver. Keeps the chains moving and makes his best plays on 3rd downs.

If his injury proves to be serious, he will be missed, and not just a little bit either.

I wouldn't say he is a big difference maker, but you make a great point about his grittiness and the fact he is taken for granted. They guy has become dependable blue-collar possession receiver.

This concerns me. I wonder how a strain will affect the achilles? An achilles tear for a receiver can be devastating. When they come back from the injury they never have the speed they had before. I hope this doesn't make that more likely to happen down the road.

In a somewhat strange way this injury could be a longterm blessing.

Everyone here is up in arms about the little production we've seen from both Hardy and Mckevin (or whatever his name is) One post stated he's already labeled a bust. Well I think this is the first year in awhile that the Bills have decent enough players that our draft picks aren't needed to play much right away. And if you don't play and start, you don't practice much either as the starters get the bulk of the reps all week. So it makes it tougher to get better quickly.

With this injury, it will force Hardy into the lineup and should help him come up the learning curve quicker. I'll make a wild prediction here, if Reed is out more than four weeks, Hardy may just keep the starting spot even when Reed is ready to come back.

As bad as both of the mahve looked, it usually doesn't take too much for the light bulb to all of a sudden come on and shine bright.

In a somewhat strange way this injury could be a longterm blessing.

Everyone here is up in arms about the little production we've seen from both Hardy and Mckevin (or whatever his name is) One post stated he's already labeled a bust. Well I think this is the first year in awhile that the Bills have decent enough players that our draft picks aren't needed to play much right away. And if you don't play and start, you don't practice much either as the starters get the bulk of the reps all week. So it makes it tougher to get better quickly.

With this injury, it will force Hardy into the lineup and should help him come up the learning curve quicker. I'll make a wild prediction here, if Reed is out more than four weeks, Hardy may just keep the starting spot even when Reed is ready to come back.

As bad as both of the mahve looked, it usually doesn't take too much for the light bulb to all of a sudden come on and shine bright.

If Josh is out 4 weeks, the Bills may also have blown any chance of a playoff, this year, so they might just start Hardy to get him the experience. As long as the Bills are in the hunt, this year, Reed will always be a better option (on most plays) than Hardy. I can see Hardy getting more and more time, though, as the light starts to go on. But, learning (and DOING) the stuff that Josh does, take a little longer than one season.

If Josh is out 4 weeks, the Bills may also have blown any chance of a playoff, this year, so they might just start Hardy to get him the experience. As long as the Bills are in the hunt, this year, Reed will always be a better option (on most plays) than Hardy. I can see Hardy getting more and more time, though, as the light starts to go on. But, learning (and DOING) the stuff that Josh does, take a little longer than one season.

If a 4-week injury to Josh Reed costs this team a playoff birth, than this was the biggest fraud of a 5-2 squad in history. Let's hope you're wrong.

If a 4-week injury to Josh Reed costs this team a playoff birth, than this was the biggest fraud of a 5-2 squad in history. Let's hope you're wrong.

well, we have Hardy, who makes a few good plays each game so far, but then disappears for long stretches---not rare for a rookie...

we have Parrish who SHOULD be a much better WR option than he is....the guy is probably the quickest player in the NFL and SHOULD be uncoverable in the slot...he makes some nice plays, but not enough of them for a player who has the speed and quickness that he does, especially since he is going up against a nickel CB or safety most plays...he should be dominating his man like the way Stokely did...the fact he doesn't leaves me shaking my head as to why...

we have Steve Johnson, who hasn't played much, but was a fairly good player at Kentucky...probably in the same boat as Hardy---just not ready yet to contribute much...

Reed is much more reliable than these 3 players. The guy has developed into a major 3rd down weapon, and virtually all of his 3rd down catches result in a first down. He also has had one of the highest catch rates in the NFL for a WR over the past 3 years, which means any time Edwards throws him the ball, it is being caught, and is almost always resulting in a firt down on 3rd down....Reed had 16 first down catches in the previous 6 games, and was tied with Evans for the team lead in receptions with 24...Edwards clearly is comfortable with and trusts Reed tremendously...

I am not going to say that Reed being out 4 weeks will cost us a playoff berth, but I will say our offense will be noticeably affected and likely not as effective as it has been....I would bet we average 5-7 points per game less with Reed out...

He also contributes a lot to run game.

Not only that Josh keeps the DBs honest for if they do press coverage he is glad to engage.

Where are the mob who said that he should have been traded or have a UDFA start rather than him now?

I think they've got their pitchforks in hand chasing Donte Whitner right about now.

Ya know.........on 3rd and longs I'd actually say to myself before the snap......FIND JOSH REED......like him or not, hes been huge part of Buffalo's ability to keep the chains moving.

With him out we need Parrish & Hardy to step up and for all you Steve Johnson fans we might see him.....

well, we have Hardy, who makes a few good plays each game so far, but then disappears for long stretches---not rare for a rookie...

we have Parrish who SHOULD be a much better WR option than he is....the guy is probably the quickest player in the NFL and SHOULD be uncoverable in the slot...he makes some nice plays, but not enough of them for a player who has the speed and quickness that he does, especially since he is going up against a nickel CB or safety most plays...he should be dominating his man like the way Stokely did...the fact he doesn't leaves me shaking my head as to why...

we have Steve Johnson, who hasn't played much, but was a fairly good player at Kentucky...probably in the same boat as Hardy---just not ready yet to contribute much...

Reed is much more reliable than these 3 players. The guy has developed into a major 3rd down weapon, and virtually all of his 3rd down catches result in a first down. He also has had one of the highest catch rates in the NFL for a WR over the past 3 years, which means any time Edwards throws him the ball, it is being caught, and is almost always resulting in a firt down on 3rd down....Reed had 16 first down catches in the previous 6 games, and was tied with Evans for the team lead in receptions with 24...Edwards clearly is comfortable with and trusts Reed tremendously...

I am not going to say that Reed being out 4 weeks will cost us a playoff berth, but I will say our offense will be noticeably affected and likely not as effective as it has been....I would bet we average 5-7 points per game less with Reed out...

The more Reed is out, the more dependent we are on the tide ends for production and we all saw where that left us.