ESPN

BeastMode54

per rotoworld

In an internal memo, ESPN instructed its reporters not to mention FoxSports.com's report that Brett Favre had a lengthy dicussion with Lions coaches before the Lions-Packers game in Week 2.

The memo says that ESPN believes the story to be untrue, so they shouldn't report it. Of course, they often report other things Glazer writes and could choose to dispute the news if they choose. The reality is that it's a biug story, but they don't want to upset Favre. The fact that Rod Marinelli is not denying the story says it all. Glazer also stands by the story 100%. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday he doesn't want to talk about it and hopes the story goes away.

I've heard Glazer on a couple shows since this was reported - I guess Peter King has been dinging him for not contacting Favre before breaking the story - he was asked about that both times. In each case he said he knew Favre was so deep in bed w/ ESPN (media rival) that he felt if he told Favre he was going to run the story, Favre would have immediately called ESPN to ruin his breaking of the story and try to discredit him. He stood behind it "a million percent" - said you don't go w/ a story like that if you are even 95% sure - you have to be 100% sure w/ multiple sources - which is what he said he had.

I don't think it's illegal or anything of Favre to do so. I'm quite certain he is not the first player, nor the last, that would do something like this. Case of being a dick? Hell yes. I find it hard to believe that ESPN would refuse to talk about it because they are afraid of making Brett Favre angry. That sounds absurd. While a lot of ESPN guys love to slob on Farve's knob (ie Tony K among others), I do remember quite a few that called Favre petulant and selfish for making a laughing stock of the franchise all summer long.

I would think the opposite of this would be quite true. You could argue that people who consistently draw ratings and headlines (yes even Favre) would be more susceptible to wild rumors of poor behavior/judgment than no-namers. Hey the media's the media, and they will throw any guy under the bus, regardless of how nice or personable he is, to sell advertisements.

But you never know. If there is proof that ESPN did such a thing (I almost never believe anything rotoworld says before I see it confirmed elsewhere), then I don't know. I think ESPN loves to jump on the Favre bandwagon, but I don't think they are immune to criticizing him.

My two cents.

I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hates Favre in Green Bay, really.... and tough sh-- for the packers anyway, they boned Brett over pretty good. Yes, Brett could have made up his mind a little earlier, but I'm not sure that would have mattered. I'd do the same thing if I felt my long time team was dry-docking me too.

F**k the packers, I hope he tells everyone in the NFL how to game plan them, the Bills benefited from a little sore sportsmanship when we creamed the gaytriots 31-0 when 1 Lawyer Milloy, freshly pissed off from getting dry-docked by bellicheat rolled into town, so I find it hard to say anything negative about his actions, even though they may seem unsportsman-like.

It's OK if you disagree with me, this is just how I see it.

This has exploited ESPN for what they are. The NFL SHOULD do something about it (ie, research it, suspend if true), because Favre significantly decreased the integrity of the game. I have heard of a team picking up a FA recently cut by their next opponent in an attempt to learn about their gameplan and system, but helping another team willingly is absurd beyond belief.

per rotoworld

In an internal memo, ESPN instructed its reporters not to mention FoxSports.com's report that Brett Favre had a lengthy dicussion with Lions coaches before the Lions-Packers game in Week 2.

The memo says that ESPN believes the story to be untrue, so they shouldn't report it. Of course, they often report other things Glazer writes and could choose to dispute the news if they choose. The reality is that it's a biug story, but they don't want to upset Favre. The fact that Rod Marinelli is not denying the story says it all. Glazer also stands by the story 100%. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday he doesn't want to talk about it and hopes the story goes away.

Is there any speculation about the content of the conversation? Is there a rule about conversing with the opposition? Players talk to players on other teams, all the time, as do coaches, GMs, etc.

I can only see this being an issue, if the content of the conversation was contrary to any NFL rules.

As for ESPN, this is a very strange situation. Why wouldn't they comment on the article, and make it known that they question its verisimilitude (verisimility?) I can't believe it's because they want to protect Favre...but, I really can't think of a legitimate reason, either.

As for ESPN, this is a very strange situation. Why wouldn't they comment on the article, and make it known that they question its verisimilitude (verisimility?) I can't believe it's because they want to protect Favre...but, I really can't think of a legitimate reason, either.

'Cause they're tired of Glazer kicking their asses on breaking stories?

This has exploited ESPN for what they are. The NFL SHOULD do something about it (ie, research it, suspend if true), because Favre significantly decreased the integrity of the game. I have heard of a team picking up a FA recently cut by their next opponent in an attempt to learn about their gameplan and system, but helping another team willingly is absurd beyond belief.

This happens all the time, in all kinds of situations (coaches talking to each coaches, players talking to players, and coaches talking to players.) I don't see what the big deal is.

:ph34r:

This happens all the time, in all kinds of situations (coaches talking to each coaches, players talking to players, and coaches talking to players.) I don't see what the big deal is.

:bag:

In casual conversation, sure. The difference is that (allegedly) Favre took the initiative to call the Lions with the intent of providing "secrets". To me, that's worthy of an investigation.