Whitner disses JP in a roundabout way...

Big Turk

I prefer Trent to JP as much as anyone, and maybe there was some sort of "emotional letdown" in that Arizona game, when Trent went out. But, JP Losman played well enough in that game to keep the Bills in it. It wasn't until the game got out of hand, because of the disappearing act of the defense, that JP started crapping the bed. He came in, took a series or two to get into a groove, but then played well for a stretch. Once the defense stopped playing, JP was forced into his "all or nothing" mode, and couldn't pull it off...it goes both ways. Even though neither unit shares the field, good QB play can help a defense immensely, as well as the other way around. Whitner may feel the way he does, and I personally think that game would have been closer with Edwards in there (because I don't think it would have gotten as out of hand in the first place), but it doesn't say a lot about him to say something like that, to the media. I realize he was just trying to pay compliment to Edwards, but JP is still a QB on this team, and there is a good chance he will be taking some more snaps before this season is over. If Whitner is truly a team leader, he should keep that in mind. As Elvis would say "clean up your own backyard...."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that loss isn't the difference between playing the AFC championship in Tennesee instead of Buffalo.

We don't want another one of those music city miracles.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Titans are going to be standing that long...they are dominating right now (and really, who have they beaten?), but that is a team that has some pretty severe flaws.

You know what, it's great that the team has confidence in Edwards. I do too. But him getting hurt shouldn't be an excuse for that absolutely abysmal display I saw from the defense last week. Trent Edwards being out did not lead to Arizona scoring every time they had the ball in the first half.

I'm pretty sure it was Trent Dilfer, but one of the ex-players on NFL Live this past week said "some QB's are the Offensive Leaders and the better ones are Team Leaders..." He was not refering to The Bills or TE, but I thought it was telling...He said You can tell when a QB is the Team Leader because when He goes down the play of the entire Team declines...That's exactly what happened in Arizona...I'm not taking The D off the hook for that Game whatsoever...they sucked...But the entire Team looked like they deflated when TE was carted off...And they simply do not respond as well when He's not out there...It's not JP's fault either...Trent Edwards is a special Player...And the whole Team knows it... :censored:

I'm pretty sure it was Trent Dilfer, but one of the ex-players on NFL Live this past week said "some QB's are the Offensive Leaders and the better ones are Team Leaders..." He was not refering to The Bills or TE, but I thought it was telling...He said You can tell when a QB is the Team Leader because when He goes down the play of the entire Team declines...That's exactly what happened in Arizona...I'm not taking The D off the hook for that Game whatsoever...they sucked...But the entire Team looked like they deflated when TE was carted off...And they simply do not respond as well when He's not out there...It's not JP's fault either...Trent Edwards is a special Player...And the whole Team knows it... :censored:

If that's true I hope they can learn to do better in the future, just think of all the great moments in Bills history made possible by the team rallying around a backup QB.

But the entire Team looked like they deflated when TE was carted off...And they simply do not respond as well when He's not out there...It's not JP's fault either...Trent Edwards is a special Player...And the whole Team knows it... :censored:

Maybe it says just as much about what they think of their chances with JP in there as it does about what they think of Trent...

If Edwards was in there we'd be 6-0.

I'm about as pro-Edwards and anti-JP as they come, but let's be realistic here. Warner played a masterful game. To have won, Trent would have had to have done better: much better. So much better, in fact, that his play would have canceled out Warner's play, plus the advantage the Cardinals received from their better offensive line, plus the advantage they got from their superior defensive effort, plus the advantage they got from their superior receiving corps. Do you honestly believed that Trent could have outplayed Warner by enough to cancel out those three Cardinals' advantages?

The bottom line is that the Bills, as a team, got dominated by the Cardinals as a team. No one player could have changed that fact--or at least not by enough to have affected the outcome of the game.

we prolly would have lost the game in zona in the 3rd quarter with edwards playing -- we just got beat and it happens.

the thing to note is how utterly worthless jp losman is doing anything but throwing a long bomb.

the entire nfl, all the teams, all the expertes, everyone, considers jp losman a joke, except for the few apologists still on this board, and it is sad that people got banned, posts deleted, and all that who were on the anti jp side of the debate before, because other than that this should be the best and most interesting board for serious bills fans to debate.

You know what, it's great that the team has confidence in Edwards. I do too. But him getting hurt shouldn't be an excuse for that absolutely abysmal display I saw from the defense last week. Trent Edwards being out did not lead to Arizona scoring every time they had the ball in the first half.

Exactly right.

I really don't see that as a slap at JP (perhaps it is). I see it as a glowing endorsement of Trent in the new offense...and I concur.

Some people can make a mountain out of a molehill.

Kind of pathetic to hear the leader of the defense blame the QB for the defense's inability to stop the opposition.

But pretty typical.

Par for the course, Whitner makes a greater impact with his rhetoric than his play on the field.

Kind of pathetic to hear the leader of the defense blame the QB for the defense's inability to stop the opposition.
Donte is a pathetic classless teammate, after hearing his comments and watching the D play today, I say cut JP tommorow, I never seen in my 45 years as a Bills fan the level of crap a player has taken from the fans and teammates that this guy has endured. If a inept effot by the D and O line against Arizona is based on losing the Qb your prefer than it says a hell of a lot about the team not the QB. Donte and his D sucked in Arizona, to blame that on someone else says alot about character. Maybe the management should get the team together and ask them who they would play for in Trent goes down.

Donte Whitner has said what a lot of fans have thought about the Bills offense under JP the past few years in an interview after the game today:

"Trent is playing as well or better than any quarterback in this league right now," said safety Donte Whitner, "as far as getting the ball out, not turning the ball over and being efficient with what he's doing.

"I'm very confident in Trent. In the past it was tough because you didn't know exactly what you were going to get from the offense. You didn't know if you were going to get points, so you almost had to play perfect on the defense side of the ball. And once you try to play perfect, you make mistakes.

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there. I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that.

As a team leader, why doesn't he criticize the O-line? Or hell, Lynch, becuz at this rate he's never going to break 100 yards rushing. JP wasn't the one who got TE concussed 2 weeks ago. Grow a pair Donte and lay it where it lay.

You know, for everyone who is jumping all over Whitner calling him classless and pathetic, how the !@#$ do we know as fans what goes on behind closed doors between JP and his teammates. Maybe he's a huge friggin prick whose actions deserve people calling him out. I read every article you guys did about him being a Buffalonian and picking up trash, but it's certainly possible it's all just a facade. I know it's one of those ticky-tacky things to look at, but why does it seem he doesn't give a sh-- every time we score or make a big play?

And at the end of the day, maybe it's alright that he's decided to give up on the team that gave up on him. But at this point it's mindless to call out Donte as if he's some sort of scumbag. It's entirely possible he's speaking on behalf of the whole team.

Donte Whitner has said what a lot of fans have thought about the Bills offense under JP the past few years in an interview after the game today:

"Trent is playing as well or better than any quarterback in this league right now," said safety Donte Whitner, "as far as getting the ball out, not turning the ball over and being efficient with what he's doing.

"I'm very confident in Trent. In the past it was tough because you didn't know exactly what you were going to get from the offense. You didn't know if you were going to get points, so you almost had to play perfect on the defense side of the ball. And once you try to play perfect, you make mistakes.

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there. I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that.

This might be to give JP a kick in the ass because of a lot of stuff going on in the lockerroom. It might be to make JP know there's a good reason he's not starting or to tell him to calm down on the field or both or more. :angry:

I got bashed pretty hard by someone here for saying the exact same thing last week...haha...Thank You Donte!!!

If anyone questions what TE means to this Team on Offense AND Defense...there ya go...He's The TEAM Leader...Not just The Offensive Leader...The whole Team looks to TE and says..."We have a shot vs. anyone with that Kid at QB."

Nice... :thumbsup:

A QB's temperament translate to the whole team. I think TE's temperament is a lot more controlled than JP's. The most telling part to me is:

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there. I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that."

I think this proves that TE's even approach translates to everyone. I think Whitner is admitting the D made mistakes but a lot of it had to do with thinking they had to play perfectly.

hahah,

where's the dean? hahaha, god i remember all the venom that was thrown at any jp nay sayer over the past year and a half!

Deano's ok. I'm waiting for the people who think they have so much superior knowledge of the game they are condescending and nasty.

This is going to give some JP fans on this board a seizure... :thumbsup:

Too true.

I prefer Trent to JP as much as anyone, and maybe there was some sort of "emotional letdown" in that Arizona game, when Trent went out. But, JP Losman played well enough in that game to keep the Bills in it. It wasn't until the game got out of hand, because of the disappearing act of the defense, that JP started crapping the bed. He came in, took a series or two to get into a groove, but then played well for a stretch. Once the defense stopped playing, JP was forced into his "all or nothing" mode, and couldn't pull it off...it goes both ways. Even though neither unit shares the field, good QB play can help a defense immensely, as well as the other way around. Whitner may feel the way he does, and I personally think that game would have been closer with Edwards in there (because I don't think it would have gotten as out of hand in the first place), but it doesn't say a lot about him to say something like that, to the media. I realize he was just trying to pay compliment to Edwards, but JP is still a QB on this team, and there is a good chance he will be taking some more snaps before this season is over. If Whitner is truly a team leader, he should keep that in mind. As Elvis would say "clean up your own backyard...."

Once again, I believe Whitner was saying TE is a lot calmer in crunch time. Look at all of his comebacks so far this year.

I'm pretty sure it was Trent Dilfer, but one of the ex-players on NFL Live this past week said "some QB's are the Offensive Leaders and the better ones are Team Leaders..." He was not refering to The Bills or TE, but I thought it was telling...He said You can tell when a QB is the Team Leader because when He goes down the play of the entire Team declines...That's exactly what happened in Arizona...I'm not taking The D off the hook for that Game whatsoever...they sucked...But the entire Team looked like they deflated when TE was carted off...And they simply do not respond as well when He's not out there...It's not JP's fault either...Trent Edwards is a special Player...And the whole Team knows it... :thumbsup:

I agree 100% with that.

Exactly right.

I really don't see that as a slap at JP (perhaps it is). I see it as a glowing endorsement of Trent in the new offense...and I concur.

Some people can make a mountain out of a molehill.

I think it's supposed to be a subtle message for JP.

This might be to give JP a kick in the ass because of a lot of stuff going on in the lockerroom. It might be to make JP know there's a good reason he's not starting or to tell him to calm down on the field or both or more. :angry:

That's an awful lot of speculation there. I find it hard to believe that a team leader is going to go out of his way to take a shot at the backup QB three weeks after a big win at home in which the backup QB never sniffs the field. I think it started out as trying to compliment Trent's play and turned into a little verbal diarrhea, and next thin you know everyone is reading into his comments.

Bottom line - it's Trent's team. Period. All JP has to do is put in his prep time, stay ready in case Trent gets dinged again, and count the days until free agency starts.