Whitner disses JP in a roundabout way...

Big Turk

Donte Whitner has said what a lot of fans have thought about the Bills offense under JP the past few years in an interview after the game today:

"Trent is playing as well or better than any quarterback in this league right now," said safety Donte Whitner, "as far as getting the ball out, not turning the ball over and being efficient with what he's doing.

"I'm very confident in Trent. In the past it was tough because you didn't know exactly what you were going to get from the offense. You didn't know if you were going to get points, so you almost had to play perfect on the defense side of the ball. And once you try to play perfect, you make mistakes.

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there. I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Donte Whitner has said what a lot of fans have thought about the Bills offense under JP the past few years in an interview after the game today:

"Trent is playing as well or better than any quarterback in this league right now," said safety Donte Whitner, "as far as getting the ball out, not turning the ball over and being efficient with what he's doing.

"I'm very confident in Trent. In the past it was tough because you didn't know exactly what you were going to get from the offense. You didn't know if you were going to get points, so you almost had to play perfect on the defense side of the ball. And once you try to play perfect, you make mistakes.

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there. I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that.

I got bashed pretty hard by someone here for saying the exact same thing last week...haha...Thank You Donte!!!

If anyone questions what TE means to this Team on Offense AND Defense...there ya go...He's The TEAM Leader...Not just The Offensive Leader...The whole Team looks to TE and says..."We have a shot vs. anyone with that Kid at QB."

Nice... :censored:

I got bashed pretty hard by someone here for saying the exact same thing last week...haha...Thank You Donte!!!

If anyone questions what TE means to this Team on Offense AND Defense...there ya go...He's The TEAM Leader...Not just The Offensive Leader...The whole Team looks to TE and says..."We have a shot vs. anyone with that Kid at QB."

Nice... :censored:

You know what, it's great that the team has confidence in Edwards. I do too. But him getting hurt shouldn't be an excuse for that absolutely abysmal display I saw from the defense last week. Trent Edwards being out did not lead to Arizona scoring every time they had the ball in the first half.

This is going to give some JP fans on this board a seizure... :censored:

It's so hard for the fans to speculate on this sh-- regarding the Arizona game.

Maybe the team pressed too much on D because they new JP wouldn't be as productive?

Maybe if Trent was in there, we could have sustained a few more drives and kept the defense off the field.

Maybe this is all irrelevant because we would have been blown out anyway.

Regardless, it's ridiculously telling to hear Donte say that.

So there you have it I've been saying the same thing.

But the experts on the board say no way.

I guess that means Whitner doesn't know what he's talking about.

Actually sounds like Whitner is looking for an excuse considering how horrendous the D played in that game.

It's a bold thing for him to say, but what makes him "full of sh--"? If anything, it says a lot our the team's swagger and confidence.

If Trent was back there, would our offense have sustained some drives and kept Warner on the bench more? Sure. But the fact is, Arizona scored on almost every single possession, and without Whitner and the rest of the defense stepping up, it doesn't matter WHO was at QB. Trent wouldn't have led the offense to score every time, and that's what we would have needed him to do.

As a captain, I expect him to endorse Trent, but I also expect him to stand up and admit that he and the defense played bad and lost them that game, and not push the blame somewhere else. I don't expect a defensive captain to say that with a different QB back there, we would have won. Especially when the defense was THAT bad.

I love Whitner, but come on.

or maybe he is dissing Steve Fairchild?

Here you go, ruining another great "piss on JP" thread.

well maybe if he steped up and played D we might have had a chance.

Bingo.

The D gave up almost 400 yards of total offense, Arizona was 9-15 on 3rd downs, they scored 41 points on Donte and the D, and the Bills D forced no turnovers. They would have needed Montana and the 49ers offense in their prime to keep pace with Arizona, given the ease at which the Cards moved the ball at will.

I love Whitner and his leadership, but saying that if Trent was there they would have won sounds like revisionist history at best, and sounds like a convenient way to forget how badly the D played in that game.

I see a huge difference between Edwards' level of play this season and what Losman has given us in the past. It's nice to know the players have picked up on this as well. Based on Whitner's comments above, as well as some things Schobel has said, it's clear Edwards is the X-factor for this team--a guy who can change the dynamic of a football game. That said, I disagree with Whitner about the Cardinals game: the Bills would have lost no matter who they had playing QB.

But I see Whitner's comments as overconfident, not as excuse-making. My reason for this is because I came across some other comments of his where he admitted the defense got dominated. He might even have used the word embarrassed, but I'm not positive of that.