What did we learn today?

Big Turk

Allright...lets not go into full blown panic mode just yet---at least until we hear how long Edwards is gonna be out for...

What did we learn today?

1) Bills D has serious trouble generating a pass rush with their front 4...this Cardinal O-line is barely average, and we couldn't even sniff Warner without sending blitzes....Schobel got handled quite easily by everyone's favorite whipping boy, Mike Gandy...unless they can get SOME type of pressure, our D could be in trouble...

2) Losman shows he cannot be a starting QB in this league...he played pretty good in the 1st half, but then made more bonehead plays in 30 minutes than Edwards did in 4 games by a longshot...taking sacks, holding the ball 10 seconds, fumbling, throwing a bonehead INT right to a defender...I have complete confidence when Edwards is in the pocket...when Losman is in the pocket, I just wonder how many plays before a bomb goes off and he does something bad...

3) Our Oline has serious protection issues, although Losman certainly didn't help...what ever happened to the line that picked up blitzes with ease last year?? They are getting confused way too easily and guys are coming free way too quickly with players trying to block them...although it appeared on the play that Edwards got knocked out on, that was designed to leave the safety free and Edwards seemed to hold onto the ball a little longer than he would have liked, although he completed the pass for a first down...

4) We still can't run block to save our life unless the D is spread out and expecting a pass...

5) McKelvin is trying to set an all time record for being tackled by the kicker on returns...oh yeah, he also has pretty poor instincts too...not sure how he set an NCAA record on returns, but I think it had something to do with him being a man among boys at Troy...

6) Fred Jackson has a really shifty quality about him---just a real Thurman like slipperiness that makes him hard to tackle...he doesn't look like he is running fast, but then you see him getting tackled 10 yards downfield and wonder how he got there...he is also an excellent punt returner...not explosive like Parrish, but very slippery and finds the seams to run thru...

7) We are in deep, DEEP trouble if Edwards is out for more than a few games...the team looked like the air was let out of them when Edwards was carted off...

8) Hardy can run some nice slant routes...

9) Lee Evans is really REALLY fast...

10) Bills D is not as bad as it looked today...they generated no pass rush, and let a very good, but very rattleable QB pick them apart today. They did not attack at all and they paid for it. IMHO, as poorly as they played, they would have been much better served attacking instead of trying to play coverage...that may be their worst game of the season...they couldn't get off the field to save their life...

11) The sky is not falling---No team is going 16-0 this year, and its better the Bills lost to an out of conference opponent than an in conference one...its the first loss of the season, but likely not the last---

12) The Bye comes at a perfect time---hopefully Edwards and McGee will be back for the San Diego game, and they can work on things like pass-rushing from the D-line, O-line protections, and O-line run blocking....

13) Don't read too much into 1 game...teams get blown out all the time in the NFL(even good teams) and then come back the next week and play well...it wasn't our day, and the Cardinals executed their gameplans to near perfection...even the super bowl Bills would go on the road and blown out sometimes....

Allright...lets not go into full blown panic mode just yet---at least until we hear how long Edwards is gonna be out for...

What did we learn today?

1) Bills D has serious trouble generating a pass rush with their front 4...this Cardinal O-line is barely average, and we couldn't even sniff Warner without sending blitzes....Schobel got handled quite easily by everyone's favorite whipping boy, Mike Gandy...unless they can get SOME type of pressure, our D could be in trouble...

2) Losman shows he cannot be a starting QB in this league...he played pretty good in the 1st half, but then made more bonehead plays in 30 minutes than Edwards did in 4 games by a longshot...taking sacks, holding the ball 10 seconds, fumbling, throwing a bonehead INT right to a defender...I have complete confidence when Edwards is in the pocket...when Losman is in the pocket, I just wonder how many plays before a bomb goes off and he does something bad...

3) Our Oline has serious protection issues, although Losman certainly didn't help...what ever happened to the line that picked up blitzes with ease last year?? They are getting confused way too easily and guys are coming free way too quickly with players trying to block them...although it appeared on the play that Edwards got knocked out on, that was designed to leave the safety free and Edwards seemed to hold onto the ball a little longer than he would have liked, although he completed the pass for a first down...

4) We still can't run block to save our life unless the D is spread out and expecting a pass...

5) McKelvin is trying to set an all time record for being tackled by the kicker on returns...oh yeah, he also has pretty poor instincts too...not sure how he set an NCAA record on returns, but I think it had something to do with him being a man among boys at Troy...

6) Fred Jackson has a really shifty quality about him---just a real Thurman like slipperiness that makes him hard to tackle...he doesn't look like he is running fast, but then you see him getting tackled 10 yards downfield and wonder how he got there...he is also an excellent punt returner...not explosive like Parrish, but very slippery and finds the seams to run thru...

7) We are in deep, DEEP trouble if Edwards is out for more than a few games...the team looked like the air was let out of them when Edwards was carted off...

8) Hardy can run some nice slant routes...

9) Lee Evans is really REALLY fast...

10) Bills D is not as bad as it looked today...they generated no pass rush, and let a very good, but very rattleable QB pick them apart today. They did not attack at all and they paid for it. IMHO, as poorly as they played, they would have been much better served attacking instead of trying to play coverage...that may be their worst game of the season...they couldn't get off the field to save their life...

11) The sky is not falling---No team is going 16-0 this year, and its better the Bills lost to an out of conference opponent than an in conference one...its the first loss of the season, but likely not the last---

12) The Bye comes at a perfect time---hopefully Edwards and McGee will be back for the San Diego game, and they can work on things like pass-rushing from the D-line, O-line protections, and O-line run blocking....

13) Don't read too much into 1 game...teams get blown out all the time in the NFL(even good teams) and then come back the next week and play well...it wasn't our day, and the Cardinals executed their gameplans to near perfection...even the super bowl Bills would go on the road and blown out sometimes....

What I learned.

1) We have no pass rush. Schobel has been invisable since his first pro bowl. Anybody know where Chris Ellis is hiding?

2) The coaching staff didn't trust the cb's enough to blitz.

3) Melvin Fowler can not hold his own. He doe not get any push and I believe that is why we have problems run blocking. Just wait until our division games against 3-4 defenses.

4) We need a pass catching tight end.

That being said I think we are a good young team that is getting better. I still think we have a good sot at the playoffs

About Fred Jackson: start him and see what happens. I haven't seen Marshawn get 1st downs with any regularity because of his lack of vision of the field. I'm not saying pull him for a whole game, but try Jackson for the first 8 or so carries, and have Lynch be the reliever. I know that doesn't sit well with the fan-boys, but he's earned it.

The guy just runs like Thurman, I completely agree. The 5 yarder he ran I thought "Thurman?" The guy has more potential than Lynch. I know that's blasphemy around here, but the same was said in SD when Tomlinson was looking slower than Turner last year. One game would be a great experiment, and not just an experiment because he's earning it. Anthony Thomas was easy to point out and state put Fred ahead, but it's time we do the same with Lynch.

Jackson needs that chance, I think 1st rounder be damned until we try it. The last time we did he put up numbers Lynch has never accomplished on an above average D with Washington. The guy brings too many dimensions Lynch doesn't: better vision, glides fantastic, better receiver, and runs up the field rather than try to side-step. Sorry, the guy has earned his chance.

About Fred Jackson: start him and see what happens. I haven't seen Marshawn get 1st downs with any regularity because of his lack of vision of the field. I'm not saying pull him for a whole game, but try Jackson for the first 8 or so carries, and have Lynch be the reliever. I know that doesn't sit well with the fan-boys, but he's earned it.

The guy just runs like Thurman, I completely agree. The 5 yarder he ran I thought "Thurman?" The guy has more potential than Lynch. I know that's blasphemy around here, but the same was said in SD when Tomlinson was looking slower than Turner last year. One game would be a great experiment, and not just an experiment because he's earning it. Anthony Thomas was easy to point out and state put Fred ahead, but it's time we do the same with Lynch.

Jackson needs that chance, I think 1st rounder be damned until we try it. The last time we did he put up numbers Lynch has never accomplished on an above average D with Washington. The guy brings too many dimensions Lynch doesn't: better vision, glides fantastic, better receiver, and runs up the field rather than try to side-step. Sorry, the guy has earned his chance.

The issue is the line not the running backs.

Lets see Jason Peters will not get his raise :D Edwards has a great knowledge of the game ,he has a decent arm but I fear he will be out more than he is in. He is not sturdy , if Jim Kelly was playing he would have gotten up and kept on playing until pulled from the game. If we dont have a sturdy QB we better have great O line ,which we do not , cant run block and cant pass block. The defensive coach cannot give his players the day off on game day :D

As a side not the Ref crew that had this game were bad and they were last year also. This however , had nothing to do with the bad play of the team.

I never liked the talk that this is one game as they can add up with that attitude. :thumbdown:

A few more points:

1. Also wondering why we did not blitz more today, particularly since Warner has a history of getting rattled with pressure.

2. Not worried after this first loss, but I am worried that McKelvin will be a bust. Seems to lack instinct. Sorry, but he reminds me of JD Williams.

3. Wonder if the oline misses Mouse?

He is not sturdy , if Jim Kelly was playing he would have gotten up and kept on playing until pulled from the game. If we dont have a sturdy QB we better have great O line ,which we do not , cant run block and cant pass block.

Did you watch the game?

If you got hit that hard, you'd be in a coma.

My take on the game:

I think coaching cost us this game. Especially on defense. We didn't blitz very often at all. We had been successfull against the Seahawks and Jacksonville by bringing a lot of heat on the QB. Why didn't we do that today? Especially against Kurt Warner. If you give him time, he'll kill ya. If you put heat on him and get in his face, he get's rattled and fumbles or gets hurt. We gave him plenty of time by rushing only 4 and sometimes 3 guys. I figured at half time for sure they'd change it up and start being aggressive again. I hope Coach Fewell get's back to what we do best.

I've been saying all season that it's not a matter of if Edwards will get hurt, but when. I hope he's ready for the next game. Does this count as a game Trent Edwards started and lost? Just wondering.

Offensive line couldn't protect TE or JP. The amount of hear JP was getting was reminiscent of the last 2 years. We gotta get this straightened out.

Again offensive line, I wish we could open some holes for our rbs more consistently. Seems like for every decent gain, we get about 5 runs into a crowd for no gain.

JP had a great first half and sad second half. But honestly, he had no time. He did hang onto it too long a few times for sure. I'm not trying to make excuses, but if he'd had the kind of protection we had in the first 4 games, it could have been a different story. Not making excuses. I don't care who's in, I just wanna win.

No turnovers or big returns. Lack of turnovers is related to the lack of pressure.

Lee Evans looked good. Glad we extended him.

In the last 5:00, why not put Hamdan in?

Bottom line: If we play this defensive scheme every week, we're gonna lose a lot more games. Come on Coach Fewell. What up?

what we learned is that we were just not that good in this game. We were overmatched from the gun, and what we also learned is that we have a lot of work to do if we want to make the playoffs - 4-1 is great but we need to make sure we aren't 4-4 going into the game at New England which at this point seems very possible. Welcome back to Earth.

what we learned is that we were just not that good in this game. We were overmatched from the gun, and what we also learned is that we have a lot of work to do if we want to make the playoffs - 4-1 is great but we need to make sure we aren't 4-4 going into the game at New England which at this point seems very possible. Welcome back to Earth.

What a difference a week in the NFL makes !

A few more points:

1. Also wondering why we did not blitz more today, particularly since Warner has a history of getting rattled with pressure.

2. Not worried after this first loss, but I am worried that McKelvin will be a bust. Seems to lack instinct. Sorry, but he reminds me of JD Williams.

3. Wonder if the oline misses Mouse?

Jeez, overreact much? The kid has some to learn, but keep in mind, there are very, very few DB's who make the jump out of college, into the pros, without a learning curve. The kid is a tremendous athlete, I think it is a little premature to label him a bust 5 games into his NFL career. Once he adjusts to the speed of the NFL game, I am pretty sure you will not be noticing a "lack of instinct" on his part.

1) 99% of the posters at TBD would have died if they suffered the hit Trent was delievered.

2) DT in the first round, anyone? Or, maybe DE. I don't know about McCargo. Stroud will either be leaving or will be over his prime in about 2 years. Williams and Spencer are really good, but not great. Schobel is past-prime.

3) JP needs to be either released or traded this off-season, if just to silence the robots around here.

4) They should extend Jackson's contract BEFORE the end of the season, so he can be an insurance policy in the very least. We can afford to let Greer go.