A Few Thoughts About The Game

Actually I look for Bill's post game threads because they are intended to start a conversation about the game. They are his opinions and he is entitled to them (as you are entitled to yours). I do not think he is offering them as gospel.

Did you have a particular reason for taking a shot at him? I am just curious.

Agreed. While I do not always agree with him, I look forward to his post game thread each week.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not interested in hearing Bill's thoughts, please find some other thread to post in. Bill's posts tend to be insightful and well worth hearing, IMO.

like this -->> Speaking of DBs, don't ask me why but I like Whitner and Youboty more, not less after this game. Again, don't ask me why, but I am dead serious.

:thumbdown:

Regarding Robert Royal, as I've said many times, he's awful. He's clumsy and makes critical mental errors, but he is just good enough to fend off the low pedigree pretenders the Bills bring in on day two of the draft every year. While I would argue that his fumble today should have been blown dead for forward progress, the truth is the fumble was a result of his awkwardness and lack of athleticism. The team is dying for a good TE. They really should get on the phone with KC and see if they can work out a deal for Gonzalez. Edwards badly needs a reliable TE. Gonzalez is old, but he's just better in all phases of the game than Royal. I don't want to see Edwards get 3-4 concussions this season and become a throwaway, because without Edwards this team is back to playing "not to lose" football to stay alive. I also think fans would be surprised how much the run game would improve if those LB's and safeties had to respect the tight end position.

Badol, as much as I saw a huge need at WR for a sizable target, I thought a tight end who can run the seam would be more beneficial to a QB like Edwards. Trent isn't being asked to throw 50 yard bombs, but rather to find targets in that quasi-WCO and allow the receiver to run. A tight end seemed like a bigger need given the QB.

Granted, when the Bills took Hardy, Carlson and Keller were off the board, but it stands to reason they'd head into the season with more than 2 healthy TE's. I suppose Schouman qualifies, but he's listed at 225. Royal, well, you said it already. Fine is still a rookie, and didn't stretch defenses at Kansas.

While I know you can't address every problem in one year, a pass catching TE is sorely needed on that offense. Unfortunately, I don't see the Bills giving up a draft pick(s) for Gonzalez. They'll stick with RR and allow him to bungle more catches. He's a blocking TE, that's all.

like this -->> Speaking of DBs, don't ask me why but I like Whitner and Youboty more, not less after this game. Again, don't ask me why, but I am dead serious.

Youboty had a very good day, today, I thought.

I'm sure your posts are always perfect and amazing. At least he has the balls to post his real opinions, where you just sit there criticizing them.

I agree with most of your points, as usual. One major exception.

Jauron should have challenged the Royal fumble, it would have been overturned. I have little doubt about that.

There is no way that was going to be overturned, his knee never hit the ground and neither did the ball. Even if it was very very close, it would have had to be overwhelmingly noticeable to overturn their original call, which it wasn't. If there is someway you can, you should look at it again.

I also don't agree with the posters who say he should have challenged the play based on the moral of the team. Since his knee never hit the ground, and it wouldn't have been overturned, wouldn't that be worse? First, the players are dropped to a low because of the fumble, and instead of going right back out there for the next play, they hold hope for a few mins that the call will be overturned, only to be taken back down when it wasn't.

Good job by DJ and the guys looking at the plays upstairs.

There is no way that was going to be overturned, his knee never hit the ground and neither did the ball. Even if it was very very close, it would have had to be overwhelmingly noticeable to overturn their original call, which it wasn't. If there is someway you can, you should look at it again.

You are a day late, and a dollar short, on this issue (that is discussed in detail somewhere). The knee was never part of my argument, anyway. I was fairly certain the ball hit the ground while in Royal's hand. Dan suggests that, upon further review it did not, but that his SHIN did hit the ground before the fumble.

Either way, given that the ball wasn't in Royals possession when it hit the ground, I agree that the review wouldn't likely have resulted in the play being overturned. But, i think the reason that Jauron didn't throw the flag is because the coaches upstairs never got a definitive look at the play, either.

You are a day late, and a dollar short, on this issue (that is discussed in detail somewhere). The knee was never part of my argument, anyway. I was fairly certain the ball hit the ground while in Royal's hand. Dan suggests that, upon further review it did not, but that his SHIN did hit the ground before the fumble.

Either way, given that the ball wasn't in Royals possession when it hit the ground, I agree that the review wouldn't likely have resulted in the play being overturned. But, i think the reason that Jauron didn't throw the flag is because the coaches upstairs never got a definitive look at the play, either.

Well, I'm glad you see things my way :thumbdown:

Indeed. I still think the challenge would have been OK, in this situation, even if it didn't work.

Does anyone remember the score of the game at that time? Because I think it was still in reach at that point, because I remember thinking we shouldn't challenge if we needed the timeout at the end. In hindsight, we got blown out, but I think at the time we were maybe 14 points down or so? Not sure.

Does anyone remember the score of the game at that time? Because I think it was still in reach at that point, because I remember thinking we shouldn't challenge if we needed the timeout at the end. In hindsight, we got blown out, but I think at the time we were maybe 14 points down or so? Not sure.

We were down by 14. They had just scored the TD after the stupid Jenkins penalty that gave them another shot. There was about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Indeed. I still think the challenge would have been OK, in this situation, even if it didn't work.

Ridiculous that he didn't challenge the call. Looks clear that the ground called the fumble (his knee may not have been down, but the ball hit the turf while he was holding it when he went down. Looked like Jauron didn't have time to get an opinion from the coaches box, but when you are trailing in the game by a couple touchdowns and you're in your own end of the field, you gotta take another look at it. The result IMO would have been the call being overturned, Bills' ball.

Haven't read through all of this, but here are two thoughts I haven't seen thus far.

1. Kurt Warner is a lot better QB than many people on this board gave him credit for this past week.

2. The Bills' offensive line did not have a good day.

Good points. Warner ripped our defense apart today, and the offensive line turned in another bad performance.

I strongly feel the offensive line should be our top priority going into the 2009 draft. Unless we upgrade it in the off season, expect Edwards to take more injuries like the one he took today.

If it's the situation I saw, Turk was yelling at JP. JP responded, and Turk continued. Turk had a few more things to say as JP was walking away. As I am not psychic, I didn't make any sort of judgment about this. Turk may have just told him to go sit down, and then barked a few more pieces of advice, of instruction. JP may have thought the berating was over, and Turk had another thing or two to say.

If Turk walked over and grabbed JP and make it seem like he was insulted by JP's behavior, then I may have given it a second thought. As it way, I think you guys are reading what you want into the situation. Let it go. Watch Rashomon and get back to me.

As you must know, Fairchild was the lead excuse for the JP excuse makers, and there have been dozens of excuses, perhaps more than a hundred. Remember when JP complained about the play calling at a press conference?

Looking back, Fairchild was pretty bad, but even he was able to win a few games when they yanked JP and put an untested, brand new rookie in the lineup.

Now, on to the scene comes Schonert, who is doing a pretty good job, to say the least. Nobody can dispute this. JP is not in a position to turn his back and walk away from this man, only to sit on the bench, pouting and sulking. No, he should stand there, listen, and perhaps even learn something.

The excuses for JP and his losses will continue to flow much in the way that water cascades over Niagra Falls, and will not stop for.....I forgot, how long did it take people (including yours truly) to get over RJ?

That pass to Evans was great Brian. It was a thing of beauty. It also lasted about 10 seconds of a 60 minute football game. Yet, as miserable as JP played, the defense was also terrible so there, we have yet another excuse.

This particular post however is about JP and his childish display, behavior he was noted for at Tulane. Who was the college teammate who ragged all over him? I will be glad to see JP leave Buffalo, and take his mood swings, pouting, and Smith Brothers Beard with him.

The Bills are an up and coming team who do not need JP Losman, his losing record, and his attitude. Not by a longshot.

I strongly feel the offensive line should be our top priority going into the 2009 draft. Unless we upgrade it in the off season, expect Edwards to take more injuries like the one he took today.

Do you really think we need to draft different players for the o-line? I think the talent is there, we have seen it in prior games. It's just that they are not playing up to their potential. Or, the have been overachieving for a while now.

Well, maybe a new center.

This particular post however is about JP and his childish display, behavior he was noted for at Tulane. Who was the college teammate who ragged all over him? I will be glad to see JP leave Buffalo, and take his mood swings, pouting, and Smith Brothers Beard with him.

The Bills are an up and coming team who do not need JP Losman, his losing record, and his attitude. Not by a longshot.

Written with no sarcasm: Agreed. This team does not need JP as a back-up. We would not miss a beat if he wasn't here anymore. It's just not worth the headache. We should probably get an older veteran-type back-up for next year, someone like Flutie. Flutie would have won that game. :thumbsup: