Lee Evans locked up long-term

silvermike

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not in the same class as Fitz. This is a terrible deal. The guy deserves Berrian money, not a cent more.

A 55-75 reception receiver is not a #1, he's simply a deep threat. Do we think we are the Yankees looking for homers now.

Too early to make that final of a judgment I think. Let's give this O a little time to develop, say, 8 GAMES?, and see where we are then. Hopefully the other guys on the team have responded to the point that they cannot double cover, or play 2 deep zone on Lee's side. Also, hopefully Shonert continues to move him around. Hopefully the running game improves and loosens up the pass more.

Finally, hopefully Trent Edwards starts playing better than he has(not that it's terrible, he, in his own words, is not playing as well as he can yet), or, hopefully Shonert stops calling such a conservative game/the guys execute better on O.

If any one or more of these "hopefully"'s comes to pass, you will start to see much better production out of the O as a whole, but, you will see a spike in Lee Evans' #s as well.

He's not in the same class as Fitz. This is a terrible deal. The guy deserves Berrian money, not a cent more.

A 55-75 reception receiver is not a #1, he's simply a deep threat. Do we think we are the Yankees looking for homers now.

I guess catching the TD against the Rams which effectively put the nail into the coffin of Lenehan isn't enough?

Good to hear they got the deal done...

I think this is just another indication that shows how much Peter King really knows.. Not sure if any of you caught him on GR today but the guy really gave the impression that the Bills wanted to see what Hardy had to offer before inking Evans to a big time deal.. And he also seemed to think that if Lee wanted to make 9 million a year he was going to have to go to Dallas or something like that... :worthy:

nice job OBD..

Folks gotta understand that Lee would get this on the open market......

Agreed. Do folks ever stop and think that the highest paid guys at their positions ALMOST ALWAYS are the ones most recently signed? Salaries are escalating. Sure its alot for him this year...but wait 3 years and he wont be in the top 20 (money wise)

I have a question for the folks that question this deal: if the team let Lee go after this season, what would you suggest as a replacement? It's generally agreed that a team needs a deep threat because opposing defenses will play to the advantage of a short field. There are no deep threats on this team other than Lee. The leaves either the draft or free agency for next year. I don't suppose you'll argue that a rookie is going to be an immediate deep threat, even if we draft in the top 5. For the free agent route, would we pay less than this deal for someone of comparable skills? I haven't looked at the potential free agents for next year, but it might be the case that top receiver just got taken off that list.

As a fan, I'm just happy he's part of our core for the next 4 years. Plenty of time for Hardy to come along to give us a very dangerous combo in a few. Can't believe people are complaining about the money. Do we really want to lose one of our best weapons and looking to develop a cheaper replacement? Opens us up to focus on other needs now in the offseason.

Kick ass signing.

For those that choose to whine about the money, Evans would have easily gotten 10-12 mil per season on the open market, no questions asked. His stats are similar to fitz, and thats what a lot of these contracts are based on, especially for skill players like WRs. Even if the Bills slightly overpaid for him, i'd rather have a slightly overpaid Lee Evans on the roster than lee evans somewhere else because we didnt want to pony up the cash.

Next up: Peters and Jackson.

Agreed. Do folks ever stop and think that the highest paid guys at their positions ALMOST ALWAYS are the ones most recently signed? Salaries are escalating. Sure its alot for him this year...but wait 3 years and he wont be in the top 20 (money wise)

Very well said. Why can't some understand this?

Yeah, he's good. But at that chunk of salcap, the question is "Is he great?"

He grabs fewer balls, scores fewer TD's and gains fewer yards than all those guys. And probably makes more money than any of them.

He's a great guy and a very good player, but 9 million dollars a year is an awful lot of money to give to a 190lb wr who catches 60 balls a year, has only hit 1,000 yards once and has never caught 10 TD's.

He's also played in Steve Fairchild's "offense".

I'm glad he'll be around for a few but this signing is likely to cost us a good player or two down the road. Don't know whether it'll be worth it, particularly if it's a Stroud and/or a LWalker. :sick:

There's always going to be enough money to keep guys as long as the BILLS are willing to pay the price.

Count me as one of the happy ones. Great, great news. Aside from him being our best receiver, my impression is that he is a good, unselfish teammate. His reactions when other receivers catch touchdown passes (i.e. Roscoe's score in the fourth quarter against Oakland) are genuinely enthusiastic. Kind of refreshing for a #1 receiver.

Are we happy or pissed? Does he still suck, or is he good, now?

IMO, I will take Lee Evans on my team any day of the week. Big props to the Bills for getting this done.

Guest dog14787
Are we happy or pissed? Does he still suck, or is he good, now?

IMO, I will take Lee Evans on my team any day of the week. Big props to the Bills for getting this done.

Lee's one of the best WR in the league and the Buffalo Bills just confirmed it. :sick:

Let's jsut be thankful that we have a great guy who plays the game the right way and don't have a TO or Ocho Cino that put themselves before the team.

AGREED!

I was surprised to hear how old lee will be in 2012, someone said 32? How old was he when he came out of college? Did he play all four years??

Well done Bills!