Ralph & Marv getting the last laughs

VJ91

I'll never forget listening on the radio to the reaction of Ralph Wilson's hiring of Marv Levy to replace Tom Donahoe a few years ago. Ralph made an unfortunate joke about he and Marv becoming a modern version of the "sunshine boys", and one of the arrogant morning shows used that soundbite to absolutely mock the hell out of it. They ended their laughing with a comment like "what a total mess up there in Buffalo."

I wonder how hard the media geniuses from St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati and Houston laughed along with those idiots on that morning show about Wilson reaching out to his trusted old friend to help turn his sinking ship around for a couple of years? If the Lions were smart, they should replace Millen with Marv for two years themselves....riight now!

I'll never forget listening on the radio to the reaction of Ralph Wilson's hiring of Marv Levy to replace Tom Donahoe a few years ago. Ralph made an unfortunate joke about he and Marv becoming a modern version of the "sunshine boys", and one of the arrogant morning shows used that soundbite to absolutely mock the hell out of it. They ended their laughing with a comment like "what a total mess up there in Buffalo."

I wonder how hard the media geniuses from St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati and Houston laughed along with those idiots on that morning show about Wilson reaching out to his trusted old friend to help turn his sinking ship around for a couple of years? If the Lions were smart, they should replace Millen with Marv for two years themselves....riight now!

I thought it was the Golden Boys?

Linkage

But Levy was hired at an age when few have worked in sports at all. The move by 87-year-old Bills owner Ralph Wilson drew cheap jokes about the "Sunshine Boys." Even positive reviews said Levy would bring "wisdom" to Buffalo rather than, say, spark or innovation.

ok, they must have referenced them both, found this excerpt:

"They say two things happen when you get older. One is you begin to forget things," Levy said, before pausing. "And I can't remember what the other one is right now."

Later, when asked if he believed he had the physical stamina to do the job, Levy put his hand to his ear and said with a smile: "Would you repeat that question?"

But don't let his age fool you.

"The age factor means nothing to me," said Levy, noting he runs 3 miles five times a week. "I'm old enough to know my limitations and I'm young enough to exceed them."

That, however, didn't prevent the 87-year-old Wilson from getting into the act, introducing Levy by saying: "I'm very proud to bring some youth to this organization."

Smiling, Wilson added: "With me and Marv, you can nickname us in the pro football world, the Two Golden Boys."

"They say two things happen when you get older. One is you begin to forget things," Levy said, before pausing. "And I can't remember what the other one is right now."

Later, when asked if he believed he had the physical stamina to do the job, Levy put his hand to his ear and said with a smile: "Would you repeat that question?"

"The age factor means nothing to me," said Levy, noting he runs 3 miles five times a week. "I'm old enough to know my limitations and I'm young enough to exceed them."

That, however, didn't prevent the 87-year-old Wilson from getting into the act, introducing Levy by saying: "I'm very proud to bring some youth to this organization."

Smiling, Wilson added: "With me and Marv, you can nickname us in the pro football world, the Two Golden Boys."

Clarification:

Golden Boys alludes to TV sitcom about aging Florida retirees in Golden Girls.

The Sunshine Boys was a 1975 movie with old-timers George Burns and Walter Matthau where they played aging ex-Vaudevillians reuniting for a TV show.

You were right. It was the media calling them the Sunshine Boys.

So who were the Lemon Sisters?

They were tarts.

What I truly find funny is who they ended up hiring. I was not a big fan of the Dick Jauron hiring. However, it appears that Marv hired a guy much like himself. The no emotion front he puts one really seems to work but I think that hides a gifted coach and someone players really want to play for. At least I get that when listening to player interviews. Perhaps Marv's greatest gift when he returned was to bring good people to bring stability back to what had become a disfuncational family.

What I truly find funny is who they ended up hiring. I was not a big fan of the Dick Jauron hiring. However, it appears that Marv hired a guy much like himself. The no emotion front he puts one really seems to work but I think that hides a gifted coach and someone players really want to play for. At least I get that when listening to player interviews. Perhaps Marv's greatest gift when he returned was to bring good people to bring stability back to what had become a disfuncational family.

I see what you mean as far as Marv hiring someone with traits like his, but lack of emotion on the sidelines wasn't one of Marv's traits........he was ususally a screaming maniac on the sidelines

I see what you mean as far as Marv hiring someone with traits like his, but lack of emotion on the sidelines wasn't one of Marv's traits........he was ususally a screaming maniac on the sidelines

during one particular maniacal screaming fit, the announcer notices, "oh! almost lost your gum Marv!"

So who were the Lemon Sisters?

Actually, The Lemon Twins were 2 sisters with some sort of musical act (IIRC) in the John Candy/Eugene Levy movie "The Last Polka". The movie was a takeoff of The Band's finale in the movie "The Last Waltz".

Candy and Levy played the Yosh and Stan Shmenge in regular appearances as The Happy Wanderers polka band on the SCTV comedy skit show.

Part of the fun was that, as each introduced himself, they pronounced "Shmenge" differently.

I sure miss John Candy.

I remember when Marv was hired as the GM ALL the talk radio clowns were laughing @ Ralph for the hiring. At 1st I was a little skeptical but needless to say now he was the absolute perfect hire @ the time for the job. What he did when he hired Jauron and evaluation of talent during the drafts was perfect in only 2 years time. He brought back stability and respectablilty to the franchise that was missing during the Donohue era.

Long live Marv!!

Actually, The Lemon Twins were 2 sisters with some sort of musical act (IIRC) in the John Candy/Eugene Levy movie "The Last Polka". The movie was a takeoff of The Band's finale in the movie "The Last Waltz".

Candy and Levy played the Yosh and Stan Shmenge in regular appearances as The Happy Wanderers polka band on the SCTV comedy skit show.

Part of the fun was that, as each introduced himself, they pronounced "Shmenge" differently.

I sure miss John Candy.

Well heck, I miss JC too - but weren't the Lemon Sisters from the old Welk Show?

Cincy???

Ah, now you're just being an over officious jerk!

My favorite Marvism. But you are right. He could really go after the zebras (in a unique way).

kj

Quite true - at times, Marv had a mouth like a trucker that used to be a sailor.

I remember watching a game broadcast when Marv had just called the ref to the sidelines for an 'explanation' of a bad call, and just as the TV cam zoomed in on Marv's face, real 'close up', the F-bombs start flying so loudly and clearly from his mouth that you could still read his lips after they cut the volume.

The broadcasters were completely speechless, and I don't remember them zooming in on Marv's tirades much after that one - no one sez 'MutherF :rolleyes: kcer' quite like Marv!

Ah, now you're just being an over officious jerk!

My favorite Marvism. But you are right. He could really go after the zebras (in a unique way).

kj

On the NFL network they still show that mix of NFL coaches yelling at zebras and Marv is the coach in about 1/4 of their selections!

What goes around comes around, don't you love it?

I remember when Marv was hired as the GM ALL the talk radio clowns were laughing @ Ralph for the hiring. At 1st I was a little skeptical but needless to say now he was the absolute perfect hire @ the time for the job. What he did when he hired Jauron and evaluation of talent during the drafts was perfect in only 2 years time. He brought back stability and respectablilty to the franchise that was missing during the Donohue era.

Long live Marv!!

Not true, Bob Matthews thought at one point it was a good hire and even the Roach suggested it before it happened. When Levy selected Whitner Mike Goldberg asked whether Levy was crazy or crazy like a fox. I guess we know the answer to that one.

I sure miss John Candy.

I used to love staying up and watching SCTV.

I feel sorry for the younger members of our board who never had an opportunity to see it when it was on, but I think they final released some episodes on DVD.

Candy as Johnny LaRue, plus Bob and Dog McKenzie, the news team, Dr. Tongue, Vic Arpeggio...all good stuff.

I used to love staying up and watching SCTV.

I feel sorry for the younger members of our board who never had an opportunity to see it when it was on, but I think they final released some episodes on DVD.

Candy as Johnny LaRue, plus Bob and Dog McKenzie, the news team, Dr. Tongue, Vic Arpeggio...all good stuff.

I'm surprised a cable channel hasn't picked up on that and re-run them.

All I know is (because I've heard it from a wise old sage on this board), Ralph hired a GM nobody wanted, who in turn hired a coach nobody wanted...and look where it got us.

Remember too they "wasted" their 1st draft pick on a guy whom they could have traded down, acquired 6 1st round picks, and still taken him in the 5th round.