Bruce was always very modest....

JoeFerguson

"Jackass" might be the wrong word, IMO. Most who have met him, say he is pretty gracious and a real gentleman. Arrogant? Oh, yes, but not an idiot or a jackass, I don't think.

agreed...he may the most pompous player who ever worse a Bills uniform but besides the fact he backed it up, he always came across as a good guy...I met him a couple times briefly at the Big Tree back in the day and I never saw him act like a jerk or anything to anyone.

I know Ralph is old, but YES, that was painful, like your grandfather telling you one of those "I walked uphill both ways to school" stories.

As for Bruce, I didn't live here for most of his time as a Bill, he was in in his last years when I moved here is '96, so that being said, I took his last statement a bit differently. I was like "YEAH! That guy was A BUFFALO BILL, he is something to be proud of." Maybe I mistook the context though?

I know Bruce was probably not far from being correct in his "modest" assessment of himself. I mean he is so CERTAIN that he is a first ballot Hall of Famer (which he obviously is). B part of me would almost like to see the Hall of Fame pass him over for just one year (as they did with Thurman), just to hear him moan and whine about it.

I know Bruce was probably not far from being correct in his "modest" assessment of himself. I mean he is so CERTAIN that he is a first ballot Hall of Famer (which he obviously is). B part of me would almost like to see the Hall of Fame pass him over for just one year (as they did with Thurman), just to hear him moan and whine about it.

If that were the case, there are alot of autographs floating around with "Bruce Smith HOF 09" when he was signing at Canton when Thurman went in. Those will have some value....

I know Ralph is old, but YES, that was painful, like your grandfather telling you one of those "I walked uphill both ways to school" stories.

I know I am in the minority here, but I like when Ralph talks. The dude is almost 90 years old, and while he may drone on, he still has it upstairs. I don't mind listening to a little droning from him.

I am paraphrasing, but the last line of Bruce's speech at halftime was:

"I will leave you with this last statement. The best defensive end and pass rusher of all time played for the Buffalo Bills."

He was always very modest.

That's not bragging. That's just a fact.

I know I am in the minority here, but I like when Ralph talks. The dude is almost 90 years old, and while he may drone on, he still has it upstairs. I don't mind listening to a little droning from him.

I agree. Show the guy some respect. I hope I own an NFL franchise when I am 89.

For folks who are actually Bills fans, and appreciate Bruce, here is a transcript from yesterday:

Buffalo Bills Defensive End Bruce Smith

On being excited about going up on the Wall of Fame

I haven’t stopped smiling all week. The outpouring of love and appreciation was great. The history that was created and the appreciation that was created for what I brought to the game and what my teammates and I did for the city of Buffalo.

On what Smith accomplished in his career and how he looks back on it

Amazement to be quite honest. I’ve had a considerable amount of time to step back and actually think about it. Having studied the game over the past 19 years and from the outside watching in now over the last five years, the one thing that sticks out more and more like a sore thumb is what was accomplished in this three-four defensive scheme that I played in for so long. It’s unprecedented. I’ve talked to Scott (Berchtold) and Marv (Levy) and a number of other individuals. They’ve been able to give me some stats of some of the other players and it gives me an opportunity and a forum to actually tell my story. That story is, and it’s not boasting or bragging but these are facts, that the best defensive end, pass rusher that played in this game played for the Buffalo Bills. The reason I’m saying that is the fact that by design and by the scheme, a three-four defensive end gets double teamed far more often than a four-three defensive end. That’s a fact. These are not hearsays or things of that nature. This is a fact. The defensive end in a three-four system gets double-teamed by the center and the guard, the guard and the tackle, the tackle and the tight end, the tackle and the center, the tackle and the running back. So there are so many possible combinations and there is no where to hide. A four-three defensive end always lines up on the edge. He only gets a double team from typically slide protection or they may chip from the back, but he’s always playing on the edge. I’ll just give you two prime examples. Reggie White. Incredible, incredible talent. The great late Reggie White. He played for Buddy Ryan and Buddy Ryan was the pioneer of the Bear defense. The Bear defense was specifically designed to cover up each and every offensive lineman so there would not be any room for double teams. Then he would send an extra blitzer or two so they would have to get the ball out early or he would have to eat it. Reggie White also played with Sean Jones and Clyde Simmons. Both of these two incredible players as well are in the hundred sack club. So just think about it, between those three individuals alone they amassed over 400 sacks. That’s an incredible stat and an incredible number. The great Deacon Jones played on probably the most dominant defensive line ever with two other Hall of Famers. Merlin Olsen. 14 Pro Bowls. Deacon Jones, Hall of Famer. 178 or 180 sacks. Somewhere in that neighborhood. But in these two particular cases you can’t double team these individuals consistently because there are so many other forces on that defensive line that they have to recognize and pay attention to. In a three four defensive scheme you cannot hide. This gives me the opportunity to explain to individuals and students of the game and educate people on what has actually taken place playing in this three four defensive system and I look back upon it now and I realized why I had 11 surgeries because I was taking a beating. I certainly was. But all in all, having played in front of these fans, in this stadium, it’s just an incredible feeling to come back and be put on the Wall of Fame with some of my other teammates.

On wishing he had played in a four-three defensive scheme

I talked about the defensive lines that other folks had but I can tell you there are two things that I am extremely proud of. Having played alongside great linebackers like Darryl Talley, who I think is the most unselfish and the most unsung player that was in the National Football League. He put aside some of his goals for the good of our team and the good of our defense. He trusted in me to break down our opponent and to devise schemes and stunts that would allow us to take advantage of some of those double and triple teams that were coming our way. Linebackers like Cornelius Bennett and Shane Conlan. These are the tangible things that were brought to the table I would say as a tradeoff from having another great defensive lineman that was on the line of scrimmage. Ted Washington, probably the best run stopper that the game has ever seen. He also helped put us in a position so teams would have to throw the ball. So there were a number of components that played a factor in being able to put other offenses in passing situations and probably one of the most important factors was we had one of the most potent offenses that the game has ever seen. One other thing I would like to say is playing in a three-four system allowed me to play the run and be more effective at that position. There are not very many defensive ends that played in a three-four system that would often get 14 or 15 sacks while averaging throughout their career maybe 80 tackles. That’s a very active defensive end.

On what allowed Smith to be so productive beyond just talent

I learned at a young age from one of my earlier coaches who had a profound impact on my career, Ted Cottrell, how to study film and break down the opponent. When he brought that aspect or that component to my game I was hooked. I was addicted. I would be the first one in to study film often times and be the last one to leave. I would stay in shape year-round. I was consumed with leaving everything out on the field. I didn’t know when my career would end so I wanted to play and take every week, every play, every down like it was my last down. I wanted to make the best out of it.

On enjoying matching wits with the opposing offensive coordinator

It was no cat and mouse game. I knew what they were going to do. Their focal point was to stop the right end number 78. They felt if they could do that they had a good chance of taking advantage of our defense. We had some other pretty good players that they focused on as well. Cornelius Bennett and Nate Odomes and some of the others. It helps when you know what’s getting ready to take place. If you know they’re going to send a double team I would try to beat that double team before it actually materialized. If I knew they were going to get help from that guard on the tackle I would try to put a move on him. I would line up to the outside and they would think I would be going to the outside but the guard would just be a hair late. By that time I would already have beaten the tackle to the inside. So there were just things that I was able to incorporate that allowed me to get a jump on the offensive schemes that they were devising to stop me.

On when Smith realized being in elite shape was necessary to succeed

After my first year. I got up to 310 pounds and that was a rude awakening. Marv Levy came in and I met the strength and conditioning coach Rusty Jones who I spent a tremendous amount of time with. All of these factors and everything just seemed to come together at the right time. Mr. Wilson started making the commitment to bring in other key players like (Jim) Kelly and Thurman (Thomas) and Cornelius Bennett. We had already had other great players like Darryl Talley and Andre Reed. All the components came together and we knew we were onto something special.

On the upcoming Hall of Fame voting process

This is something that I would be lying if I said I didn’t think about. Our friends talk about it more than I think about it, so to speak. To have that exclamation point added to the end of your name and your career. It doesn’t get any better than that. It shows that you were recognized for what you brought to the game, what you contributed to your team and your personal career. So as far as that whole process is concerned I’ll leave it in the voters’ hands to do the right thing and make the right decisions. When it happens I’ll be overwhelmed with joy.

On where Smith is living now and what he is up to

I live in Virginia Beach and I am in to real estate development now. I actually have a project going on at my alma mater Virginia Tech called Smith’s Landing. It is student housing, a Hilton Garden Inn Hotel and a retail area. I have actually been involved with real estate since 1995 during the middle of my career, but I actually started my own company with the help of a good friend of mine Dan Hofler and his company back in Virginia Beach.

On always considering himself a Buffalo Bill

There’s no question. In my heart and in my blood is red, white and blue.

"Jackass" might be the wrong word, IMO. Most who have met him, say he is pretty gracious and a real gentleman. Arrogant? Oh, yes, but not an idiot or a jackass, I don't think.

You are right Jackass isn't the right word. 'Disturbingly narcissistic' describes it more correctly. Altho most narcissism is disturbing innit?

The sad part is, Bruce has to say those things in order to get respect. Whenever I see the top 10 DE's ever, Bruce is no where near first on the list. There's always Deacon Jones, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and so on. Bruce is usually down near 4, 5, or 6. IMO, Bruce should be in the top 2.

LT was a linebacker but you are correct about Deacon and Reggie. They do seem to get more notice than Bruce. I don't know who was the best of those 3, but I gotta tell you that being put in the same class as them guys is as good as it gets.

LT was a linebacker but you are correct about Deacon and Reggie. They do seem to get more notice than Bruce. I don't know who was the best of those 3, but I gotta tell you that being put in the same class as them guys is as good as it gets.

Just read the above post, Bruce breaks down how he is indeed better than Deacon and Reggie. I heard it yesterday on press pass, I'll see if I can find a link to the presser....

I think you are both right. Having spent his career in Buffalo, for a team best known nationally for its ultimate failures, Bruce doesn't get the pub as an all-time great that I (and he) think he deserves. I would be willing to bet, if they ever did an "all time" NFL team, Bruce would not get first team recognition. It may not be deserved, but Bills greats are easily overlooked in things like this. And Bruce wasn't just very good, he was one of the very best. I don't begrudge Smith for stating his case. What it proves is arguable, but it is his life. The guy worked damn hard to transform himself from a raw, chubby kid, into a man, who dominated most Sundays. I really find the continual bashing of him, by Bills fans no less, to be sort of depressing. So he has a bit of an ego! Name me one great athlete who doesn't.

My theory is that he is always mentioned, in Buffalo media circles, as one of the bigger pains in the ass to deal with, by people in the business. Stuff like that resonates with fans, who hang on every word that the media people utter. So, he wasn't always willing to talk to reporters. I don't remember any instance where he berated anyone, punched, or shoved anyone...why should it matter to fans?

I think Bruce and Andre Reed belong on the Bills wall of fame for the most underappreciated greats, amongst Bills fans.

Yes, Press Pass. I stumbled on that program and listened to Bruce for 5 mins in a press conference before Sunday's game explain how he is the greatest. Mostly because he worked in a 3-4 defense and was constantly at least doubled teamed where Reggie and others were 4-3 thus much less pressure on them. HUMBLE he is not and never has or will be. Great player but still not a favorite of mine especially off the field.

Contributing to some (many?) fans apathy towards Bruce -beyond his ego- were derogatory comments he made about racist Buffalo before a Super Bowl. He claimed he was regularly receiving hate/racist mail from Buffalo fans. When pressed, he finally manned up and said it was just one piece of mail he received. But the damage was done. The Bills also had to do without him for the first 4 games in '88 'cause he liked the pipe..

Devastating defensive player but in my book, he's the second best D player in team history to Tom Sestak.