Peters negotitations

nuklz2594

At what point does the team and Peters begin new contract talks? Does the front office wait until the season is over? He still has 3 years left on his existing contract. If it were up to me, I would wait until the year is over to evaluate him. He still has 2 years remaining on his contract at that point. The Bills could play hard ball with Peters, but run the risk of losing him once his contract is up. I presume we would franchise him at some point.

Your thoughts

At what point does the team and Peters begin new contract talks? Does the front office wait until the season is over? He still has 3 years left on his existing contract. If it were up to me, I would wait until the year is over to evaluate him. He still has 2 years remaining on his contract at that point. The Bills could play hard ball with Peters, but run the risk of losing him once his contract is up. I presume we would franchise him at some point.

Your thoughts

I'd say at the end of the year, yeah. If he plays as well as he did last year. If he wants an extension, he still needs to earn it.

My own personal opinion is that I think the Bills have a rough agreement but have been holding up Lee's final contract until they come to terms with Peters. I think Lee wants to stay here and the Bills will adjust his contract so that they can get both of these guys signed. Despite the rumors, I believe JP will get a raise for this year, perhaps that IS the real reason he was holding out. I think the Bills have been planning to up JP's pay and the amount of signing bonus/guaranteed $$ will affect how Lee's is structured.

My prediction is that they'll announce Lee's contract first shortly followed by JP's. My opinions are just educated guesses based on Lee not seeming that concerned about a new contract, direct quotes etc. Of course my hunches will probably be wrong, but hell, this is a discussion board.

BTW, did anyone else LOL reading JP's discussion about how he was going to sit out the season but his agent told him late Friday to report Saturday because the Brandon had finally given assurances that they would work something out? Brandon was saying that before training camp, what a waste of time this whole thing was. :cry::wallbash:

My own personal opinion is that I think the Bills have a rough agreement but have been holding up Lee's final contract until they come to terms with Peters. I think Lee wants to stay here and the Bills will adjust his contract so that they can get both of these guys signed. Despite the rumors, I believe JP will get a raise for this year, perhaps that IS the real reason he was holding out. I think the Bills have been planning to up JP's pay and the amount of signing bonus/guaranteed $$ will affect how Lee's is structured.

My prediction is that they'll announce Lee's contract first shortly followed by JP's. My opinions are just educated guesses based on Lee not seeming that concerned about a new contract, direct quotes etc. Of course my hunches will probably be wrong, but hell, this is a discussion board.

BTW, did anyone else LOL reading JP's discussion about how he was going to sit out the season but his agent told him late Friday to report Saturday because the Brandon had finally given assurances that they would work something out? Brandon was saying that before training camp, what a waste of time this whole thing was. :cry::wallbash:

You could be right, but maybe it's the other way around. Lee Evans, for reasons that have been widely discussed, is coming off a down year. He's motivated and is playing like a man possessed. He knows the new offense and some of the changes around him will elevate his play this year, and lesser WRs like Bernard Berrian signing for big bucks. That can only mean more money for him as the season goes on. The Bills on the other hand, have an incentive to sign him earlier, because it's likely that the longer this plays out, the more they will have to pay him.

Having said all that, it's probably just one of those tough negotiations that neither side is in a hurry to complete, because they don't have to. The people on this board are impatient, not the FO nor Lee Evans. :wallbash:

Yeah, what a smoke screen that was about the pressure for Peters to report. I have to believe this is all about missing a game check when the Bills didn't blink or fall on their face in the preseason with their makeshift OL. Peter Parker must have realized their bluff had been called, Parker started talking to the FO, and it was clear that he had to report or lose a game check, with their so called leverage fading quickly by the day. Who knows what really happened, but what you said was true - late assurances that the contract was going to be discussed is just bullcrap and totally about you better get your butt to camp before you lose another $191,000.

Your thoughts

Until your deck get's sore.

Yeah, what a smoke screen that was about the pressure for Peters to report. I have to believe this is all about missing a game check when the Bills didn't blink or fall on their face in the preseason with their makeshift OL. Peter Parker must have realized their bluff had been called, Parker started talking to the FO, and it was clear that he had to report or lose a game check, with their so called leverage fading quickly by the day. Who knows what really happened, but what you said was true - late assurances that the contract was going to be discussed is just bullcrap and totally about you better get your butt to camp before you lose another $191,000.

According to Peters, the Bills called Parker on Monday before the season started, Parker didn't call the Bills. They negotiated for three straight days, and then Parker called Peters and said get to camp because of assurances that Brandon made. According to Adam Schefter, at the end of those three days, a "compromise" was reached. Now, Peters could be flat lying, but he didn't come off that way in his interview. He also said that it never would have been done without the holdout (meaning he knew he wasn't getting a new deal this year) and they gave him assurances that it would now, and he is taking Brandon at his word. Again, this could be total bullschit, but I don't think so after listening to him and reading all of the reporting on what happened.

You mean earn it again or doesn't one year as a very good OT and another as a pro bowler count?

You are advocating every player should hold out after one great season? Fantastic, what's next should Stroud hold out around game 8 and cry in his car for the next 9 weeks after?

Brandon's doing the right thing and controlling the situation. If you know anything about negotiation the first thing you should realize is that you hold your own position first.

According to Peters, the Bills called Parker on Monday before the season started, Parker didn't call the Bills. They negotiated for three straight days, and then Parker called Peters and said get to camp because of assurances that Brandon made. According to Adam Schefter, at the end of those three days, a "compromise" was reached. Now, Peters could be flat lying, but he didn't come off that way in his interview. He also said that it never would have been done without the holdout (meaning he knew he wasn't getting a new deal this year) and they gave him assurances that it would now, and he is taking Brandon at his word. Again, this could be total bullschit, but I don't think so after listening to him and reading all of the reporting on what happened.

i don't think peters is lying.....i think he's working off the information provided to him by his agent

i personally believe that peters has no idea what was said or done, after listening to his interview.........seems to me he's just a pawn and parker has him completely under his thumb........to paraphrase - "my agent called me on wednesday and told me to be here on saturday, so i came in"......he's just doing what he's told and putting his complete trust in parker IMO

and at the end of the day, i don't think the bills promised anything they didn't promise at the start of camp and that schefter's report is based on info being fed to him from parker to try to make him look better after handling the entire situation poorly.......i don't know if the bills called parker or the other way around, but i can't say i put a lot of stock into peters claim "that the bills called my agent on monday" because he's only hearing that from his agent, who has his own agenda in this situation