Vince Young may be done for good

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this Jamarcus Russell you are throwing in with that group? You already know that he's a bust? He was FAR from the most athletic player on the field during his time at LSU. He was not a runner. He was a pocket passer with a cannon arm, who completed over 70% of his passes in the toughest conference in the NCAA. I'd give the guy more than single-digit starts before I start casting him aside. He DOES play for the Raiders....I'm not sure Peyton Manning wins 6 games there.

You are correct, Russel was more of a pocket passer and I shouldn't have lumped him in there.

As for Culpepper, tough to lump him in with that group too...He quarterbacked one of the most prolific offenses of all-time (although we've seen what a motivated Randy Moss can do for statistics on offense.) Up until his devastating knee injury, he produced.

Culpepper sucked. I could have been all pro throwing to Randy Moss and Chris Carter. He did ZERO after Randy left. His knee injury is long gone and he can't get a backup role when QBs are dropping like flies. That's why he retired.

And with Vick, say what you want about his passing, his attitude, his off-the-field endeavors, his criminal record, his inability to be a team leader, etc. All of those things are valid arguments, and a major reason why Vick's career will likely go down as more hype than substance. However, the Falcons' record from 2001-2006 in games that Vick started was 38-28-1 (plus 2-2 in the playoffs,) while games that Vick didn't play they were 9-20. It's hard to look at that and say they were "winning despite him."

I like QBs who can pass, its a big part of the job. Vick was very dynamic, no doubt about it, but never developed into a good passer. Also, I said the Titans were winning despite Young, not the Falcons used to win despite Vick.

Its also interesting that only black QB's can be "phenomenal college athletes." I wasn't aware of that. Leftwich was a phenomenal athlete? Huh? Why include him in that group and not someone like Eric Crouch?

Sorry Reverend Al, I obviously left out Crouch because the whole point of my post was to make racist assumptions about college athletes.

RTB

Sorry Reverend Al, I obviously left out Crouch because the whole point of my post was to make racist assumptions about college athletes.

I'm not saying that was your aim either. It was just a pretty funny list you compiled there. Pretty much every black starting QB from the last five years. Calling Leftwich and Russell "phenomenal athletes" is pretty funny too, when there are plenty of bust white boys like Crouch or Alex Smith or JP LOSMAN who used their athleticism in college but couldn't quite cut it in the pros...

I didn't imply you were racist...Your post did.

I of course feel bad for Vince......and hope that he can recover from his depression

From a football standpoint....that guy has found a way to beat us every time I think.....and like my chances much better going against the Titans (should we have to later on) with Kerry Collins at QB.

I'm not ashamed to say I have struggled with depression most of my adult life. It is very treatable but you have to realize you have a problem which is a chemical imbalance. It doesn't really matter if things are going good or things are going bad in your personal life when it hits, however when things go bad they are magnified. I hope he gets the right help before it's to late. As far as Collins goes he's been a inconsistent QB for most of his career so I'm not sure how much he will improve the Titans.

They've been talking about this a ton on ESPN-Radio...

It's sad really. I think what he needs is a mentor, someone who he can confide in. People just assume athletes are somehow impervious to criticism, but they aren't...

I think for a person who is successful in their life, it has to be more difficult dealing with adversity... they don't have the experience to draw upon to face it.

Good luck to Vince, I hope he finds his happiness somewhere. That is way more important than a career in the NFL.

You want to tell that to the thousands and thousands of people who suffer from that debilitating disease? You want to tell people on the brink of suicide that they're being overmedicated? You want to tell the families that lost loved ones that their dead relatives weren't actually suffering from anything?

If Young is suffering from clinical depression, saying"keep him away from the shrinks" is like telling a person in the early stages of cancer to "stay away from the oncologists"

I never said the ailment doesn't exist, but I stand firm that it's overdiagnosed and medication is too often used to correct what is purely an emotional problem rather than a physiological problem. Do some reading. You'll find plenty of experts that agree with this.

It may be that he really doesn't love football as much as the money he gets for playing.

My brother was a big star in school and was scouted by the Browns and invited to combine as a running back...he opted not to go because the more he thought about it, his heart was not really in it. He realized that even though he was a gifted player and stood a good chance of success from an athletic standpoint, it takes more than that. Thirty years later he says he sometimes wonders what would have happened had he followed up with the NFL, but he doesn't regret it.

I remember the discussion on this board months ago about that infamous picture. At the time I really didn't think it suggested all that much, but was it taken at a known gay establishment? The NFL is notoriously homophobic, I can't help but wonder, if VY does happen to be, if that could be a factor in all this.

It does put BlueFire's reaction to Bills drafting of VY in a different light, doesn't it? :cry:

You are correct, Russel was more of a pocket passer and I shouldn't have lumped him in there.

Culpepper sucked. I could have been all pro throwing to Randy Moss and Chris Carter. He did ZERO after Randy left. His knee injury is long gone and he can't get a backup role when QBs are dropping like flies. That's why he retired.

I like QBs who can pass, its a big part of the job. Vick was very dynamic, no doubt about it, but never developed into a good passer. Also, I said the Titans were winning despite Young, not the Falcons used to win despite Vick.

RTB

His best season when he threw 40 TDs (overshadowed by Payton) was without Moss