Crowell still hasn't had surgery

Chris Brown on the Bills' official website stated today (Friday, Sept 5th, 1:56 pm ET) that Angelo Crowell has still not had the arthroscopic surgery performed and was seeking a second opinion. So what in hell were the Bills doing putting him on I.R.?

Firstly, they carried Ryan Denney for 7 weeks last season. Couldn't the organization have done the same for Crowell? Particularly in that the prognosis for a knee scope is typically better than one for a broken bone in the foot. While the prognosis for either injury is only a guesstimate, why the benefit of the doubt for Denney and not Crowell?

On top of this he still hasn't actually had the surgery. By prematurely placing him on I.R. they've made the decision for him.

The Bills should have at least said, "if you have surgery we'll put you on I.R." and left it in Crowell's court.

Instead they jumped the gun, screwed themselves (particularly if he decided to forgo the surgery and play through), and caused a lot of bad feelings in the organization. How do I know it caused bad feelings? Because I'm not a total idiot. How could it not cause bad feelings?

This decision by the team smacks of a punitive action and in light of the fact that he hasn't had the scope yet, they're punishing him for something that he hasn't even done yet!

As a psychotic Bills' fan like yourselves, it is very sad moment to witness the mishandling of this situation by the Bills' braintrust. The Bills are always saying they make decisions by consensus. That means several people from among (Brandon, Jauron, Bud Carpenter, Dr. Marzo, Guy, Modrak, etc.) thought that this was a good idea. What an idiotic move.

Can the Bills take him off the IR? Or does he have to stay there all year now?

My thinking is if he has to stay there all year, then Buffalo found out from team doc's that he wont be able to play. That has to be the case. I cant see Buffalo putting Crowell on the IR without probable cause.

Once again however, the question was,

If Crowell has still not had surgery and was seeking a second opinion, what reason would the Bills have to put him on I.R.?

Needing the roster spot for Peters?

i understand that they "supposedly" didnt know he was reporting back until this afternoon, but we don't know that for sure. just brainstorming ideas

This, my friend, is a VERY good point.

Ryan Denney wasn't jerking the team around and was in the plans for the following season, unlike Angelo. If the Bills know they aren't going to re-sign Crowell, they might have felt that they might as well start grooming potential replacements now. Especially since Angelo is pulling some crap with them.

Ryan Denney wasn't jerking the team around and was in the plans for the following season, unlike Angelo. If the Bills know they aren't going to re-sign Crowell, they might have felt that they might as well start grooming potential replacements now. Especially since Angelo is pulling some crap with them.

Bingo. :lol:

Putting Crowell on IR was the "we ain't takin' this shite from anybody" kind of stance that snapped Jason Peters to his senses.

It was about the strongest message the FO could have made about who's in charge.

Sorry for Crowell, but his season is over. He'll be playing elsewhere next year in all likelihood. But The Bills showed him and the rest of the guys on the squad that they're only players - not the franchise. I liked Crowell and thought he played extremely well and had a bright future. Now, he's taillights.

Putting Crowell on IR was the "we ain't takin' this shite from anybody" kind of stance that snapped Jason Peters to his senses.

It was about the strongest message the FO could have made about who's in charge.

Sorry for Crowell, but his season is over. He'll be playing elsewhere next year in all likelihood. But The Bills showed him and the rest of the guys on the squad that they're only players - not the franchise. I liked Crowell and thought he played extremely well and had a bright future. Now, he's taillights.

Whew. Yeah, maybe so. Still don't know why Crowell waited so long. It's not like these guys have to worry about the cost of healthcare. If the knee seems to keep bothering you in April, May and June, why wouldn't you walk into the radiology department have a look-see? Quick, painless and free. Doesn't add up.

They started talking to Peters on Monday, and continued talks until today. The Crowell thing didn't pop up until Wednesday or Thursday. It's more likely IMO that they gave in a little more to Peters knowing they may have a talent or morale problem, rather than showing Peters they will !@#$ anyone out of a few million dollars and he's next so he got scared and showed.

Stated for the 3rd time (albeit in different language), if he hadn't had the surgery yet and was seeking a second opinion and could still play and contribute, why would they place him on I.R.?

As stated before, they could have simply said "Angelo, if you have the surgery we will I.R. you. It's your choice."

Whew. Yeah, maybe so. Still don't know why Crowell waited so long. It's not like these guys have to worry about the cost of healthcare. If the knee seems to keep bothering you in April, May and June, why wouldn't you walk into the radiology department have a look-see? Quick, painless and free. Doesn't add up.

It is my personal opinion that Angelo wanted a new contract going into the season and throughout training camp. I think he was upset when he realized the Bills weren't going to give him a new contract and don't want him back after the year, and probably decided well, if I'm not going to have a contract beyond this year, there's no way I'm going to risk injuring my knee this season and not get a big contract from another team after the season. Plus, I think he was sticking it to the Bills' front office because he took it personal. If he has been having chronic problems with his knee, he probably didn't want to risk blowing it out and then trying to go into free agency.

Stated for the 3rd time (albeit in different language), if he hadn't had the surgery yet and was seeking a second opinion and could still play and contribute, why would they place him on I.R.?

As stated before, they could have simply said "Angelo, if you have the surgery we will I.R. you. It's your choice."

The surgery wasn't even a real option. Angelo "came out of the blue" and decided to do it all on his own. He did not discuss it with the Bills first. And they obviously have to take him at his word.