Latest Peters update

K-Gun10

i don't see why the bills won't trade peters.

they could get 2 firsts, or a first and conditional high pick. that could land us the top tackle in the draft (or top 3 at least) and maybe the top TE as well. we could also get a walker level LT/RT.

while LT is important, our guards, RT are very good and our C could be improved on. if walker stays at LT and we draft a kick ass RT, we can have a line plenty good enough.

The tpo tackle in the 08 draft might already be the highest paid LT in the NFL. 30 million is guaranteed, and with the bonus, the deal averages $11,400,000 per season. Do you honestly believe that Ralph will pay a kid out of college this kind of money?

Btw, some projected Long to be more suited to RT. Jason Peters can already play LT at a pro bowl level. My compromise all along has been for Peters and Parker to come to town, and for Ralph to make Peters an offer that would put him ahead of Dockery, and give him a sizeable bonus.

I understand Ralph being angry, I really do. Still, somebody has to budge.

Anyway, all of our posts were probably all for naught. Ralph will probably trade Peters away in lieu of paying him what top LTs earn. My guess is that he goes to the cowboys. <_<:unsure:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, all of our posts were probably all for naught. Ralph will probably trade Peters away in lieu of paying him what top LTs earn. My guess is that he goes to the cowboys. <_<:lol:

Not a chance in hell - damage goods, injured, overweight, outa shape. Never see him in another Pro Bowl. (Oh wait, never saw him in one to begin with!)

Peters won't go to the Cowboys, or anyplace else, except maybe to Wendy's for a half-dozen Baconators - if he can get up off his couch... :unsure:

Link

I have posted the links many times and I just don't have time to martial them all for you. Besides, if I post them yet again, I will get taken to task for being on a crusade and/or repeating myself. Do a search on my posts and you will find them. Several recent articles you can acces on the front page here, including the one by Graham at ESPN everyone was raving about stated in no uncertain terms that the Bills will not negotiate a new deal with him this for this year.

You ignore the most important part of the quote you use above, the part where Brandon stated that they expected Peters to honor the committment he made to the team 2 years ago. The committment he made is his current contract. "Honoring" it means to continue playing under that contract. Even putting all the contrary information aside consider the logic here, every hold out in history that ended in a contract being agreed to involved negotiations with the player not in camp. So why on earth is that the keystone upon which all else depends? What is the excuse for not negotiating with him prior to camp, in February, March, April, May, June?

Putting aside all information to the contrary and putting aside logic, lets just look at what you consider to be proof, ie, the above quotes.

All Brandon really states in that quote is that with regard to a new deal (at no specified point in time) they would "never say never". Is that what you consider to be a committment to negotiate a new deal for this year if he comes to camp? I can imagine the conversation with Jason and his agent. Why should I come to camp Gene? Because, they said 'never say never', its a done deal Jason.

Some of the other deals he talks about the team having done were done with Marv Levy as the GM, not Brandon. Besides, "Gee we have done it with other guys..." is not a committment to do anything. Take Schobel, they approached him in 2007 right after the Kelsay deal, conceding immediately that he deserved a new deal for that year. That is exactly what they have not done with Peters. So much for citing what they have done for others.

Anyway, go back and read the quotes and articles etc which state very clearly that the team will not give him a new deal for this year, period, I would enjoy reading your take on them and I think you will find, even if you still disagree with me, that my position is well founded.

The problem is, that quote can be interpreted a few different ways. Of course the Bills would love it if he showed up and played out the rest of his contract, I'm also sure that they would like him and many other players to come in and play for free. Maybe the Bills won't re-negotiate with him at all this season and want him to play for what his contract states, thats a possible interpretation of "Honoring his Contract". They could also be saying that as to not give away any leverage like they would lose if they just came out and said "Come to camp and you will get a new deal". Another possible interpretation could be that by saying they expect him to "honor his contract" they want him to show up to camp, cause since he has not, he is not honoring his contract since showing up is mandatory and a part of his contract. But no where has brandon or the Buffalo Bills actually come out and said that they will not negotiate with him this year at all, they have only said that if he does not report, they will not renegotiate.

It may be "company policy" as you say, but it is a slogan as well. It is a slogan because the Buffalo Bills may not have to cave in to Peters' demands (obviously), but they absolutely positively do have to deal with the holdout. Sure, they may not want to, but Peters and Parker are clearly telling them, "deal with this, buddy."

In essence, a company may have a policy that they want to be profitable. "We want to make money." That doesn't mean that the marketplace has to oblige.

The problem is that this is a disagreement between two parties and because one side overtly dresses itself in a mantle of "official policy" does not mean the core problem is fixed or that the other party is 100% wrong. In fact, it seems like both sides are being rather fugtarded from the outside. How the phuk do they expect to work through any of this at all if neither side is willing to sit down and discuss it?

It has been Ralph Wilson's official policy forever. Perhaps a walk down memory lane to 1976 will jog some memories - and that holdout had a higher pedigree than a Jason Peters. So like it or not, Ralph Wilson's management style is not conducive to threats from players, agents or other owners. If this were a true market, he'd probably changed by now or lost his team. But it's not. It's the NFL and he has 1 of 32 golden tickets.

You don't have to like it. But screaming that Bills should do this or that is useless. You can always exercise your right in the market and pick another team or sport to root for.

I just do not get why people praise Wilson for the way he is dealing with Peters.

Players on the Bills will keep holding out unless the majority of teams adopt and follow the "no negotiations with holdouts" policy.

Most of the other teams negotiate with holdouts, and guess what, most of the other teams have been more successful than the Bills lately.

I can see admiring someone for sticking to his principles. But in the fantasy world that is the NFL, hasn't the thought crossed your mind that Wilson may be sticking to the wrong principles?

But you see, this is a serious problem in the NFL right now, teams are being held ransom by agents and players knowing that they just have to threaten a team with a holdout and the team will tear up the current contract and hand them millions more. Its a problem that teams like buffalo can't afford to let happen to them. Ralph has been a bit of an outsider when it comes to the current owners because he won't throw his money around freely like most will, so his team is standing up and going against the norm on this one and trying to set a precedence in Buffalo that they don't negotiate with holdouts and will not allow agents and players to hold them at ransom. it just sucks that the first example in this has to be a great player like Peters. But what a better example? Showing that the Bills aren't just a group of individuals playing the same game on the same side, that they are a team, and if you don't feel that way and want to hurt the team by sitting out, you can keep doing that, they will move on as a team even if it hurts them.

This can all be resolved/made clearer with Peters showing up and reporting ending his hold out. If he had reproted and the Bills then refused to re-negotiate/talk a better contract with him, then he can walk and the blame is on the team in this one and they look bad since he met their demands of reporting, and they also look like hypocrites for re-negotiating Schoebels deal when he was in camp, and not Peters. But right now, what more can the Bills do but cave in to his demands and set a bad precedince for the rest of the team, or stand their ground?

Everyday that Peters sits and does not make contact either on his own or through his agent to the Bills is going to hurt him in his wallet, and Walker has looked adequate/good enough at LT that its not going to seriously hurt them if Walker stays there.

It has been Ralph Wilson's official policy forever. Perhaps a walk down memory lane to 1976 will jog some memories - and that holdout had a higher pedigree than a Jason Peters. So like it or not, Ralph Wilson's management style is not conducive to threats from players, agents or other owners. If this were a true market, he'd probably changed by now or lost his team. But it's not. It's the NFL and he has 1 of 32 golden tickets.

You don't have to like it. But screaming that Bills should do this or that is useless. You can always exercise your right in the market and pick another team or sport to root for.

He personally created that golden ticket and gave people like Peters a place to earn big money.

The tpo tackle in the 08 draft might already be the highest paid LT in the NFL. 30 million is guaranteed, and with the bonus, the deal averages $11,400,000 per season. Do you honestly believe that Ralph will pay a kid out of college this kind of money?

Btw, some projected Long to be more suited to RT. Jason Peters can already play LT at a pro bowl level. My compromise all along has been for Peters and Parker to come to town, and for Ralph to make Peters an offer that would put him ahead of Dockery, and give him a sizeable bonus.

I understand Ralph being angry, I really do. Still, somebody has to budge.

Anyway, all of our posts were probably all for naught. Ralph will probably trade Peters away in lieu of paying him what top LTs earn. My guess is that he goes to the cowboys. :thumbsup::huh:

he's the first overall pick. if it were more like a 7th or 10th pick it would cost us one third of that.

peters has shown that he is not a buffalo guy, and will continue to show that until he shows up.

i know you are in love with peters bill, but the line has been drawn. if he doesn't bend he will rot or be shipped out of town for picks.

i don't think ralph would let him rot without looking into the trade option. a team like atlanta, jacksonville, or even minny with the mckinny question might spring for him.

he's the first overall pick. if it were more like a 7th or 10th pick it would cost us one third of that.

peters has shown that he is not a buffalo guy, and will continue to show that until he shows up.

i know you are in love with peters bill, but the line has been drawn. if he doesn't bend he will rot or be shipped out of town for picks.

i don't think ralph would let him rot without looking into the trade option. a team like atlanta, jacksonville, or even minny with the mckinny question might spring for him.

Yes, but I caution that these guys go early.

We might be more in agreement than you suspect. I now think that Peters will be traded. This doesn't mean that I have to like it. Where we perhaps differ is that I think that Ralph too deserves some of the blame.

If the situation doesn't change wrt Evans, it is reasonable to suspect that Ralph is unwilling to spend the money that is required to keep our best players, and this is no way to start a season that once looked very promising. C'mon....we went from having all but solved the OL problem after 12-15 years to having serious question marks up front yet again. :thumbsup:

As a fan, I only care about winning. I dont understand why people on this board would rather "make a point" by not wanting the bills to give Peters the money. Now i know you have a list of reasons, but at the cost of not having all the pieces in place on sunday? If you knew for fact, that not having Peters play this year would be the difference between a 6 win season and a 10 win playoff season, you would not want the bills to sign him to the contract he wants TODAY?

We dont know what him not being here is gonna mean until the season unfolds...but i do know our chances of that playoff season increase if Peters is playing.

We might be more in agreement than you suspect. I now think that Peters will be traded. This doesn't mean that I have to like it. Where we perhaps differ is that I think that Ralph too deserves some of the blame.

If the situation doesn't change wrt Evans, it is reasonable to suspect that Ralph is unwilling to spend the money that is required to keep our best players, and this is no way to start a season that once looked very promising. C'mon....we went from having all but solved the OL problem after 12-15 years to having serious question marks up front yet again. :thumbsup:

Peters has chosen money over team in the most craven manner possible. I don't want him on the team anymore. Period.

We might be more in agreement than you suspect. I now think that Peters will be traded. This doesn't mean that I have to like it. Where we perhaps differ is that I think that Ralph too deserves some of the blame. If the situation doesn't change wrt Evans, it is reasonable to suspect that Ralph is unwilling to spend the money that is required to keep our best players, and this is no way to start a season that once looked very promising. C'mon....we went from having all but solved the OL problem after 12-15 years to having serious question marks up front yet again. :thumbsup:

Sure, he deserves the blame for not "making it happen" at all costs. But what more can he do that won't have possible future reprecussions with his team? The Bills gave peters their demands, show up or we won't even talk. The Ball is in Peters court now

With Evans, the bills are negotiating with him, and it takes 2 to agree to a deal, maybe Evans doesn't want to re-sign until he plays out the year, or he wants to test the market for his services before he accepts the Bills offer? Its not always that the Bills aren't willing to give them the money they deserve. The tried negotiating with nate Clements too, but he wanted to test the market first cause he knew his services would be in demand and he would be able to cash in with some desperate team.

The thing is, the front office hasn't really done anything yet to deserve any blame yet. Of course the fans will still blame them because they won't just give him the money he wants to get him back, but thats not the way a good buisness works, and the Bills have to run the team as a buisness first to ensure they can stay healthy in the Buffalo market. they can't afford to make a big blunder like caving to Peters and opening up a can of worms for future players to use that as leverage when they want new deals

As a fan, I only care about winning. I dont understand why people on this board would rather "make a point" by not wanting the bills to give Peters the money. Now i know you have a list of reasons, but at the cost of not having all the pieces in place on sunday? If you knew for fact, that not having Peters play this year would be the difference between a 6 win season and a 10 win playoff season, you would not want the bills to sign him to the contract he wants TODAY?

We dont know what him not being here is gonna mean until the season unfolds...but i do know our chances of that playoff season increase if Peters is playing.

because they also don't want to see this happen with any future players, and want to see the team stay in Buffalo for many years. By caving and just giving him the money he wants, they are opening the door for any player who wants a new deal to force a hold out, and the bills will become desperate enough that they will just give you what you want. What would happen if they gave Peters what he wants after his last season, and say Lynch or Edwards made the Pro Bowl this year so they feel underpaid and threaten a hold out for a new deal?

Peters has chosen money over team in the most craven manner possible. I don't want him on the team anymore. Period.

At this point I have to believe he's either:

1. Grossly out of shape.

2. Not recovered from his surgery.

Either way he's not showing up because if he does it'll kill his chances at the big payday his agent wants.

What I don't get is why there has been absolutely NO contact from his side. You'd think at this point he'd have done a half dozen interviews telling everyone how badly he's being screwed.

At this point I have to believe he's either:

1. Grossly out of shape.

2. Not recovered from his surgery.

Either way he's not showing up because if he does it'll kill his chances at the big payday his agent wants.

What I don't get is why there has been absolutely NO contact from his side. You'd think at this point he'd have done a half dozen interviews telling everyone how badly he's being screwed.

This would seem to indicate that he wants a trade, no?

Then what sport do you want to watch?

How many NFL players would choose their team over money?

How many 'average joes' would choose their employer over money?

I don't think we have any way of knowing who is truly to blame in this ugly (and ridiculous) situation.

If it is true that the Bills have called Peters and his agent but he has not responded, then I have a hard time blaming Ralph at all. If the Bills said there would be no new contract for a year, and this is Peters' way of responding, then I would feel the blame is split but with most of it on Peters' shoulders. If the Bills said play out your 3 years and we'll talk then, I would blame the Bills.

Even with all of the unusual circumstances surrounding Peters (UDFA TE to RT to LT to Pro Bowl), holding out with 3 years left is pretty unusual. The fact that his agent is new to him tells me a lot. Peters also owes a lot of his status to a Bills front office and coaching staff that believed in him and patiently taught him to the point where he could even consider this manuver. They renegotiated his contract once already. Why would he not believe they would do it again? If we took it to the extreme level and he sat until week 10, three years in a row, how much would he be worth to a team and would it make up for lost time and money?

I have to believe that the Bills and Parker have spoken and are simply multiple millions of dollars apart and disagree on the timing of a new contract. Which party is to blame is unclear, but personally I can't see any scenario where the blame goes 100% to the Bills.

If you knew for fact, that not having Peters play this year would be the difference between a 6 win season and a 10 win playoff season, you would not want the bills to sign him to the contract he wants TODAY?

I sincerely doubt that he is worth 4 wins...........