Latest Peters update

K-Gun10

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take on the whole Peters Fiasco...

Let's say I know someone who has a Lamborghini for sale, but the last I knew it had a blown engine. He says that he's repaired the motor, and if that is true then the car is worth the money he is asking. But when I asked to hear the engine run he says "no I have to buy it first". Sorry, there is no way I'm buying that car until I hear the engine run.

The team will hold the same cards they hold this year, why would they or should they act any different than they are now? What would be Peters' play when they stiff him again in 2009? Why would it turn out any different than this year leverage wise? Besides, no one knows how much he would be asking for since the team flatly refuses to negotiate a deal, any deal, this year.

I'm a bit confused Mickey...Have You tripped across some new information all of Us are not privy to?

"We're not going to get in a situation where we're going to negotiate with someone that does not participate and we would certainly have conversations like we do with all of our guys if they're in here doing the work.” Bills Chief Operating Officer Russ Brandon

"You never say never," Brandon said. "We have conversations with our guys all the time, and I think we have a proven track record of trying to get guys done and extend guys out. We've done it already this offseason with Kyle Williams and Brad Butler. We've done it with [Aaron] Schobel in the past and Terrence McGee. It's a long line of guys that we've done it with. But it's very difficult to have those conversations when the individual is not participating in your work."

"We feel we have something special going on here," Brandon said. "We play the ultimate team sport. It's not about individuals, it's about the team. We expect Jason to be here and to honor his commitment to the organization."

Where exactly, in any of Brandon's comments to date, do You get the idea that The Bills will not negotiate with Peters this Year? Like it or don't like it The Bills have been crystal clear on their stance, and they have stuck to it as firmly as Peters has stuck to His rediculous Hold Out...Show up and we'll talk...Hold Out and nothing is going to happen...that has been Bills stance throughout...Not once have they said they will not negotiate this Year...In fact I've felt all along that Brandon and The Bills have hinted strongly that they would be willing to do a new deal if Peters shows up...They know His Contract is a bit low for a Player His calibre...They're not stupid...they know what the Market is for Pro Bowl LT's...They simply want Peters to come to work 1st...That's all..

If You disagree with how the Bills are handling this...fine...I'm not saying it's perfect either...But saying The Bills are flat out refusing to negotiate with Peters this Year is simply incorrect...The Bills have even given Peters and his Agent a public road map to new negotiations...Show up to work and we'll talk... <_<

I'm a bit confused Mickey...Have You tripped across some new information all of Us are not privy to?

"We're not going to get in a situation where we're going to negotiate with someone that does not participate and we would certainly have conversations like we do with all of our guys if they're in here doing the work.” Bills Chief Operating Officer Russ Brandon

"You never say never," Brandon said. "We have conversations with our guys all the time, and I think we have a proven track record of trying to get guys done and extend guys out. We've done it already this offseason with Kyle Williams and Brad Butler. We've done it with [Aaron] Schobel in the past and Terrence McGee. It's a long line of guys that we've done it with. But it's very difficult to have those conversations when the individual is not participating in your work."

"We feel we have something special going on here," Brandon said. "We play the ultimate team sport. It's not about individuals, it's about the team. We expect Jason to be here and to honor his commitment to the organization."

Where exactly, in any of Brandon's comments to date, do You get the idea that The Bills will not negotiate with Peters this Year? Like it or don't like it The Bills have been crystal clear on their stance, and they have stuck to it as firmly as Peters has stuck to His rediculous Hold Out...Show up and we'll talk...Hold Out and nothing is going to happen...that has been Bills stance throughout...Not once have they said they will not negotiate this Year...In fact I've felt all along that Brandon and The Bills have hinted strongly that they would be willing to do a new deal if Peters shows up...They know His Contract is a bit low for a Player His calibre...They're not stupid...they know what the Market is for Pro Bowl LT's...They simply want Peters to come to work 1st...That's all..

If You disagree with how the Bills are handling this...fine...I'm not saying it's perfect either...But saying The Bills are flat out refusing to negotiate with Peters this Year is simply incorrect...The Bills have even given Peters and his Agent a public road map to new negotiations...Show up to work and we'll talk... <_<

AMEN! now can we stop these Peters threads over and over and over again. Same arguments start on 58 different threads about Peters. You (i.e Russ Brandon) have pretty much summed up the situation from the front office's standpoint - which some on here look over or fail to recognize.

Here's my take on the whole Peters Fiasco...

Let's say I know someone who has a Lamborghini for sale, but the last I knew it had a blown engine. He says that he's repaired the motor, and if that is true then the car is worth the money he is asking. But when I asked to hear the engine run he says "no I have to buy it first". Sorry, there is no way I'm buying that car until I hear the engine run.

Even if some folks, who haven't seen the car, assured you on an automotive internet blog that there's no way someone would ever try to sell you that car if they knew the engine wasn't 'good as new'? <_<

I have posted the links many times and I just don't have time to martial them all for you. Besides, if I post them yet again, I will get taken to task for being on a crusade and/or repeating myself. Do a search on my posts and you will find them. Several recent articles you can acces on the front page here, including the one by Graham at ESPN everyone was raving about stated in no uncertain terms that the Bills will not negotiate a new deal with him this for this year.

You ignore the most important part of the quote you use above, the part where Brandon stated that they expected Peters to honor the committment he made to the team 2 years ago. The committment he made is his current contract. "Honoring" it means to continue playing under that contract. Even putting all the contrary information aside consider the logic here, every hold out in history that ended in a contract being agreed to involved negotiations with the player not in camp. So why on earth is that the keystone upon which all else depends? What is the excuse for not negotiating with him prior to camp, in February, March, April, May, June?

Putting aside all information to the contrary and putting aside logic, lets just look at what you consider to be proof, ie, the above quotes.

All Brandon really states in that quote is that with regard to a new deal (at no specified point in time) they would "never say never". Is that what you consider to be a committment to negotiate a new deal for this year if he comes to camp? I can imagine the conversation with Jason and his agent. Why should I come to camp Gene? Because, they said 'never say never', its a done deal Jason.

Some of the other deals he talks about the team having done were done with Marv Levy as the GM, not Brandon. Besides, "Gee we have done it with other guys..." is not a committment to do anything. Take Schobel, they approached him in 2007 right after the Kelsay deal, conceding immediately that he deserved a new deal for that year. That is exactly what they have not done with Peters. So much for citing what they have done for others.

Anyway, go back and read the quotes and articles etc which state very clearly that the team will not give him a new deal for this year, period, I would enjoy reading your take on them and I think you will find, even if you still disagree with me, that my position is well founded.

AMEN! now can we stop these Peters threads over and over and over again. Same arguments start on 58 different threads about Peters. You (i.e Russ Brandon) have pretty much summed up the situation from the front office's standpoint - which some on here look over or fail to recognize.

I have actually cited, linked and discussed those very same quotes. However, there are a number of sources that contradict these which this poster has not linked or cited or discussed. I am not accusing him of doing that on purpose of course, no big deal. There are those on the other side however who insist on perfect balance in every post contrary to their view while requiring no balance at all in the posts of those who share their viewpoint. Those posting most frequently that Peters has a point which include myself, Bill in NYC and Kelly, have repeatedly written about the front offices stance, stating in general that we certainly understand where they are coming from so I am not sure who you mean when you refer to those who "fail to recognize" the front office's view point.

I recognize it perfectly well, I just don't agree with it is all. That strategy is resulting in us not having a pro bowl LT starting on Sunday or anytime soon. Is that a success for the front office? Not if winning football is your primary concern.

I still have a hard time believing he won't report in time to save his game check. I also think we have caught a break on this first game as Seattle has some defensive injuries and is playing on the road. Even if he doesn't come back, I still think we will win on Sunday. The ensuing weeks however worry me.

If you aren't aware that McNally was one of the best if not the best OL coaches in the league you need to do more homework. He wasn't responsible for the OC's job. All he did is coach the players and develop the blocking schemes which led to Lynch having best rookie season of any Bill and all that while going through a QB carousel. While McNally retired the year before last I believe his blocking schemes were still being used.

I like McNally but face it, he had mixed results here at best and the point is that Peters should get some credit for his own success. He doesn't "owe" the Bills anymore than the team "owes" a roster spot to an aging veteran past his prime, even if he once contributed mightily to the team's success. Just ask Eric Moulds, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed about that.

He's angling for a trade, it's the easiest way to get paid. I'm certain he figures he's played his last game as a Bill and that they will cave and trade him, then he will have his wish of being the highest paid offensive tackle in the NFL before he has to take another snap. The Bills just have to let this thing play out. Even if it takes a couple seasons. They made a mistake being so quick to trade or let disgruntled players go the past few seasons and now they look like an easy mark.

Agreed about the trade. Do you really think the Bills will stick it out for a year or even two?

Of course, Brandon has no track record at all on these things and I rather think Ralph and/or Littmann is the man behind the curtain again (this has deja vu all over again written all over it), so you may be right. Still, I'm not sure how it benefits the Bills to play hard ball and let Peters talent atrophy for a couple of years. His value to the Bills diminishes greatly, either as a player or as a trade, if this thing becomes that protracted.

As far as uncompromising "tough negotiators," I doubt many agents will be any more afraid of the Bills after seeing them throw Peters away in a demonstration of futile stubbornness if it goes down like that. I could even see agents steering their clients away like in the bad ol' days, simply telling anybody that the Bills draft to flip the team the bird, and re-enter the draft the next year. (FWIW, I'm not saying the Bills are not trying to work a deal with Peters, but the public perception of a situation that amounts to "letting their best player rot for 2 seasons at home" will not be that the Bills are masterful at working out their problems.)

I like McNally but face it, he had mixed results here at best and the point is that Peters should get some credit for his own success. He doesn't "owe" the Bills anymore than the team "owes" a roster spot to an aging veteran past his prime, even if he once contributed mightily to the team's success. Just ask Eric Moulds, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed about that.

Peters got credit for his own success when the Bills signed him to an extension two years ago that pays him much more than an undrafted rookie free agent. Using your logic, should Marshawn hold out next year if he has one year that is 75% of Ladnanian's production? What about Fred Taylor? Trent Edwards is woefully underpaid by average starting QB standards. He should also sit out.

Well said. Several media reports have indicated that the Bills' position is they won't renegotiate this year, but Brandon has never said anything like that publicly. Where the media got their info is anybody's guess.

I have posted the links many times and I just don't have time to martial them all for you. Besides, if I post them yet again, I will get taken to task for being on a crusade and/or repeating myself. Do a search on my posts and you will find them. Several recent articles you can acces on the front page here, including the one by Graham at ESPN everyone was raving about stated in no uncertain terms that the Bills will not negotiate a new deal with him this for this year.

You ignore the most important part of the quote you use above, the part where Brandon stated that they expected Peters to honor the committment he made to the team 2 years ago. The committment he made is his current contract. "Honoring" it means to continue playing under that contract. Even putting all the contrary information aside consider the logic here, every hold out in history that ended in a contract being agreed to involved negotiations with the player not in camp. So why on earth is that the keystone upon which all else depends? What is the excuse for not negotiating with him prior to camp, in February, March, April, May, June?

Putting aside all information to the contrary and putting aside logic, lets just look at what you consider to be proof, ie, the above quotes.

All Brandon really states in that quote is that with regard to a new deal (at no specified point in time) they would "never say never". Is that what you consider to be a committment to negotiate a new deal for this year if he comes to camp? I can imagine the conversation with Jason and his agent. Why should I come to camp Gene? Because, they said 'never say never', its a done deal Jason.

Some of the other deals he talks about the team having done were done with Marv Levy as the GM, not Brandon. Besides, "Gee we have done it with other guys..." is not a committment to do anything. Take Schobel, they approached him in 2007 right after the Kelsay deal, conceding immediately that he deserved a new deal for that year. That is exactly what they have not done with Peters. So much for citing what they have done for others.

Anyway, go back and read the quotes and articles etc which state very clearly that the team will not give him a new deal for this year, period, I would enjoy reading your take on them and I think you will find, even if you still disagree with me, that my position is well founded.

I posted quotes...Post a quote that says the Bills will not re-negotiate Peters deal this year...They never said never...In fact the quote was "You never say never." It's plain and simple and You are making assumtions that are simply not founded because You are reading things into the comments and posture that are simply not there...I watch NFL Network every day...ESPN too...I read all the articles...Adam Schefter, John Clayton, the Print Media have all said just about the same thing over and over again ad nauseam...The Bills will not negotiate with Peters until He shows up...Not one single time have I read or heard that The Bills are refusing to re-negotiate period...There is one condition...Show up and We'll talk...The committment the Bills want Peters to fulfill is simple...He signed a Contract to show up and Play Football for The Buffalo Bills and they want Him to show up and Play Football for The Buffalo Bills...You are saying the comment about the committment is cut and dry that they want him to play out his deal (at least for one more Year) and I don't see that at all...They want Him to show up and show some committment the way they did him...It's not too much to ask and they said flat out they were open to re-negotiation the way they are with all their Players who show the fug up...They're never going to say "show up and You'll get a new deal" cause that would be stupid bargaining...They are not going to make any promises in the Media...But they hinted well enough and Peters basically said FU...

I know it's hard to see Our Pro Bowl LT sit at Home with the Regular Season less than 5 days away...It sucks...Is there a part of Me that wishes the Bills would make some acceptions for Peters? Sure there is...But I still feel the Bills are mostly in the right here...In fact not one time have I heard that Peters and his Agent were working some sort of mastermind plan...And I have never once thought as an Organization The Bills are refusing to renegotiate with JP this Year...Not once with anything I have read or heard...I do however know they are not going to negotiate with Him this Year if he's at Home sitting on his couch watching "The Sunday Ticket..." That much I'm crystal clear on... <_<

Peters got credit for his own success when the Bills signed him to an extension two years ago that pays him much more than an undrafted rookie free agent. Using your logic, should Marshawn hold out next year if he has one year that is 75% of Ladnanian's production? What about Fred Taylor? Trent Edwards is woefully underpaid by average starting QB standards. He should also sit out.

Isn't it pretty clear that Peters, no doubt seeing some of the other deals made by the same team to lesser OL, feels that he didn't get a good deal? I agree that he has no one to blame but himself (and his agent) for the last deal he signed; but, saying that doesn't make his bad feelings go away. Still, it is not totally unreasonable to throw the kid a bone, is it? The "we don't negotiate with holdouts" is a nice slogan though.

Isn't it pretty clear that Peters, no doubt seeing some of the other deals made by the same team to lesser OL, feels that he didn't get a good deal? I agree that he has no one to blame but himself (and his agent) for the last deal he signed; but, saying that doesn't make his bad feelings go away. Still, it is not totally unreasonable to throw the kid a bone, is it? The "we don't negotiate with hold-outs" is a nice slogan though.

It is not a slogan. It is friggin company policy. Ralph Wilson's company. Ralph Wilson's checkbook. Not yours, not mine, not Mickey's. Ralph Wilson's.

Wrong owner to pick this particular fight with.

I just do not get why people praise Wilson for the way he is dealing with Peters.

Players on the Bills will keep holding out unless the majority of teams adopt and follow the "no negotiations with holdouts" policy.

Most of the other teams negotiate with holdouts, and guess what, most of the other teams have been more successful than the Bills lately.

I can see admiring someone for sticking to his principles. But in the fantasy world that is the NFL, hasn't the thought crossed your mind that Wilson may be sticking to the wrong principles?

Is there some injury to Peters that I don't know about? I believe he made all pro. He's pretty much saying he's worth more than he's getting. I think its a take it or leave it situation and the Bills have said Leave It. peters has overplayed his hand and now its either sit out the season or come back with his tale between his legs, play it out and move as a free agent.

It is not a slogan. It is friggin company policy. Ralph Wilson's company. Ralph Wilson's checkbook. Not yours, not mine, not Mickey's. Ralph Wilson's.

It may be "company policy" as you say, but it is a slogan as well. It is a slogan because the Buffalo Bills may not have to cave in to Peters' demands (obviously), but they absolutely positively do have to deal with the holdout. Sure, they may not want to, but Peters and Parker are clearly telling them, "deal with this, buddy."

In essence, a company may have a policy that they want to be profitable. "We want to make money." That doesn't mean that the marketplace has to oblige.

The problem is that this is a disagreement between two parties and because one side overtly dresses itself in a mantle of "official policy" does not mean the core problem is fixed or that the other party is 100% wrong. In fact, it seems like both sides are being rather fugtarded from the outside. How the phuk do they expect to work through any of this at all if neither side is willing to sit down and discuss it?

This situation has become a major test of wills. From what I've read here, the Bills have made it pretty clear that they would negotiate when he shows up, but any additional money to Peters will be paid after this year, going forward...not this year..which makes sense, because how can they unlock the vault for him right now when they've haven't even finished the Evans deal (which has taken months)?

Yeah, I thought he'd report by now, but it's now looking like it will be later this season. What's the Parker/Peters strategy at this point in the game?

1) The less I play this year, the less I expose myself to a career-ending injury and the loss of a big payday. After the way last season ended, I know first-hand the real possibility of this happening.

2) As long as I report by the tenth week of the season I'll get credit for the year. If I only play in 4 or 5 games this year I'll achieve my first objective (staying healthy) while at the same time taking the first steps towards free agency. I'll be fresh and will play my butt off in those games to keep my value high.

3) While I don't wish bad things for my buds, I know the Bills are thin on the line. There's a chance they'll pay me rather than scour the waiver wire if a rash of injuries should occur.

4) I'm confident that I'll be paid or traded eventually, if not this year, then next. When they see I mean business they'll do one or the other. No way they'll string me along for three years when they could get something in return. My agent has run the numbers, and no matter what the fines and lost game checks, I still come out way ahead doing this.

If something like this is their strategy (and, I know, it assumes he's 100%), what is the best response by the Bills for the overall good of the team in the near and long term? Am I right in thinking that Peters can creep out from under his contract eventually by making himself available for only six games every year? Could the Bills go after his signing bonus if he does this? If he doesn't see the field in three years he's not gonna be worth much, but would the Bills really not play him in those games if he was available?

I don't know the answers, but it's clear this mess is definitely entering a new phase.

if you want to drag someone over the coles regarding evans (which in my opinion is a bit premature anyway), then make it Overdorf - he's the one in charge of contracts

Overdorf should be taking his cues from whomever is handling the job of GM. I suppose that's Brandon, but it's hard to tell. The Bills go against conventional wisdom and don't have a true GM or VP of Personnel type.

It's a bit premature to start blaming, though in most NFL front offices, the GM would be handling these issues with some support staff. Either way, it's not promising that it's taking this long. Kinda like when the jury's out on a case for days and you're the plaintiff. Chances are it's not going well.

i don't see why the bills won't trade peters.

they could get 2 firsts, or a first and conditional high pick. that could land us the top tackle in the draft (or top 3 at least) and maybe the top TE as well. we could also get a walker level LT/RT.

while LT is important, our guards, RT are very good and our C could be improved on. if walker stays at LT and we draft a kick ass RT, we can have a line plenty good enough.