Kyle Williams named starter

As has been said time and time again, being the starter won't mean much more playing time than the others, as the D works the rotation quite a bit. But it does say a lot about what the Bills think or Kyle. This is more of a ego booster or reward than anything else. I am surprised a bit that it wasn't Spencer.

IMO, Williams really stepped up last year and has taken it a notch further in preseason. Agreed, there will be constant shuffling but this is a tribute to his determination. His experience playing both DT positions likely bodes well in this new wrinkle of switching them up on the OL, keeping them off balance and creating mismatches.

The key though, is Stroud!

I really liked Kyle coming out of the draft and was glad that we got him in the 5th can you say a fews later he is a steal? Anyways i always liked Kyle better then lazy McCargo but i think everyone on the dline rotation is good and contributes something so GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO KYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As has been said time and time again, being the starter won't mean much more playing time than the others, as the D works the rotation quite a bit. But it does say a lot about what the Bills think or Kyle. This is more of a ego booster or reward than anything else. I am surprised a bit that it wasn't Spencer.

And the reverse of that statement is true for McCargo.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6505

Nice going Kyle, especially being a 5th rounder.

Ditto.

Does this mean McCan'tgo is officially a bust?

Before the FLAMING starts, Marv traded UP to get him in the 1st round.

FWIW: This is why I generally hate trading up, unless you're a perennial playoff team, which the Bills are not.

Flame away.

:D

Ditto.

FWIW: This is why I generally hate trading up, unless you're a perennial playoff team, which the Bills are not.

Flame away.

Seeing Williams named the starter at the 3 Tech RDT does beg the question about McCargo.

It also makes me wonder why the Bills signed Spencer Johnson. Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings to the team. I just don't see him getting major minutes at DE where Denney and Ellis will be the principal backups to Kelsay and Schobel. He'll no doubt be part of the DT rotation, and certainly in on passing downs, but at 17.5M it's a steep price to pay for a situational pass rushing DT.

Ditto.

Flame away.

Also don't forget that Marv wanted to draft Kyle in the 4th round but the rest of the draft room outvoted him to pick up Ko Simpson. Everyone became happy when Kyle was still around in the 5th.

McCargo a bust? Maybe. That's still yet to be determined. He's still an important cog in our DLine. As for trading up when we drafted him, we were a bit over a barrell since we had no dt worth a hoot left on our roster, so that doesn't mean much to me.

If he washes out of the league this/next year he's a bust. If all he becomes is an important role-player he'll only be a disappointment, not a bust.

Now Mike Williams, THAT's a bust.

This is McCargo's third year, right? First year was cut short by injury, so this is in effect his second year of playing in this defense. I've read some of the posts questioning his desire/technique, etc., and can't intelligently comment. I do believe it's too early to label him a "bust" however.

McCargo did suffer the misfortune of joining the Bills at the same time as an unquestioned gym rat and workaholic (and National Champion) at the same position. Timing means a lot. Hopefully the kid is growing up and will be a significant contributor this season; he's certainly on the "watch list" right now.

I'm not happy about this. It actually makes the statement that the more talented, but lazy, McCargo is going the wrong way after some great plays last year. I don't consider Williams talented enough to be a difference maker on an NFL team. I like the fact he is consistent, but I wish he was more than that, actually was a difference maker occasionally and did more to help stop the run.

Some players are better coming in off the bench even if they play the same number of minutes as the starter (Manu for example). Maybe this is the thinking, especially since a high energy, high effort guy may wear out the defense early, and allow the rest of the rotation to be more effective late.