9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch

Nervous Guy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pathetic. Remember when our country celebrated success and achievement? Now we have idiots demonizing anyone who is exceptional, "too good" or "too rich". Much more important that little Jimmy's self esteem isn't harmed by striking out 3 times against the good pitcher. :nana:

Little wonder the country is going down the sh---er.

Pathetic. Remember when our country celebrated success and achievement? Now we have idiots demonizing anyone who is exceptional, "too good" or "too rich". Much more important that little Jimmy's self esteem isn't harmed by striking out 3 times against the good pitcher. :nana:

Little wonder the country is going down the sh---er.

Not to mention... did anyone catch the little bit about how the kid turned down the offer from the defending championship team, which is sponsored by the employer of one of the league's administrators? Honestly, that is probably the ONLY reason this is going down. They want to win and this kid and his team is 8-0, plus he turned them down.

And there's no way that any player on that team that walked off and forfeited their game had anything to do with that decision.

True. Parents in a snit with their "Unfair!" mentality, biting their nails. I'd speculate that when they were young, they were carted around in a vehicle sporting one of those "Baby on Board" signs.

It's absolutely assinine not to let the kid pitch.

But, a couple of things don't add up in this. I've never heard of a "developmental" league where the teams go out and recruit players. That stuff happens in "travel" leagues. This clearly isn't a developmental league.

Someone in the article mentioned moving the kid up an age bracket, that seems to have been the simplest solution to the problem had it been done before the season started, or right when it became obvious he was too good for the kids around him. Assuming his fielding and hitting are reasonable, and if he's throwing 40 mph heat w/ control @ 9, I'd have to assume they are, then he'd probably get more out of competing against kids he's not blowing away as well. The kid should have been pitching in a higher age level at the start of the season. Gee, I wonder why it became an issue 8 games in. :thumbsup:

True. Parents in a snit with their "Unfair!" mentality, biting their nails. I'd speculate that when they were young, they were carted around in a vehicle sporting one of those "Baby on Board" signs.

George Carlin once said that people who have a "Baby on Board" sign in their cars should have another sign next to it:

A**HOLE at the Wheel!!

George Carlin once said that people who have a "Baby on Board" sign in their cars should have another sign next to it:

A**HOLE at the Wheel!!

I actually saw a bumper sticker that said: Prize (I forget what kind of dog) On Board. I felt like ramming the damn car. :thumbsup:

About the kid they said that they worried about the other kids getting hurt. :thumbsup: How fast does the ball come off the bat at the pitcher? I guess they should use padded bats. :lol:

It's absolutely assinine not to let the kid pitch.

But, a couple of things don't add up in this. I've never heard of a "developmental" league where the teams go out and recruit players. That stuff happens in "travel" leagues. This clearly isn't a developmental league.

This was the case in the league I coached as well. There was a A league and a B league. The A was certainly more competitive and for better players but we had a couple of kids in the B who belonged in the A and vice versa. This problem is there will always be kids like that. Even if you swapped the 5 worst A leaguers for the 5 best B leaguers there'd still be 5 kids who would be mismatched and dominate. Not to mention that is kind of rough to tell a nine year old that he's been kicked off his team and sent to the equivalent of triple A in the middle of the year because he's not good enough. It's better for Jimmy to play over his head for a year and taste some failure and learn some lessons from that and fix than have an adult kill his dreams at age 9 because he wants Billy from down the street to save his Little League Season.

Of course I've also seen recruitment in supposedly developmental leagues too. In the City of Philadelphia they don't have Little League, they have PAL and in that PAL league there are way more shenanigans with players and teams and finagling rosters, etc.

For the record (and LAMPing), my all star team from the B league beat the All Star team from the A league in two different tournaments and of the 12 kids on my house league team 7 moved up to the A league the following year. A lot of the time Jimmy just needs a decent coach who will teach him rather than yell at him and a shot of confidence. Sometimes, however, Jimmy is a hopeless mess who really just needs to go play soccer :wallbash:

exact. That's the problem in modern organised youth sports: adults.

Bingo. Big reason why I stopped coaching my son in baseball and a HUGE reason why I refuse to help coach in football. The politics in little league is just insane. Rules being bent all over the place and nobody wants to do anything about. Plus every kids parent thinks that there son should be playing this position and that they are super stars. For some reason I don't remember it being this way when I was a kid playing 20 years ago.

I didn't read the story... Why can't the 9-year old just play up in age... That means put him in a league with say teens and beyond.

??

He's supposedly throwing too hard for 8-10 year-olds. Teens and beyond would be too much of a leap.

Wow. The child is in a quandry... Baseball is funny, he would either totally dominate or totally BE dominated.

What's there to say?

:lol:

You really need to read the article. It's not as much about safety as the parents and "league attorney" are claiming.

Besides, if the league structure is at all like Little League, there should be one more level he can go up before advancing to the teens and playing on the senior-level diamonds.

IIRC, Little League went:

5-6 year olds - T-Ball

7-9 year-olds - Minors division

10-12 year-olds - Majors Division

13-15 year-olds - Seniors Division

16-18 year-olds - "Big League" Division

The Minors and Majors divisions play on the same smaller diamond seen at the LLWS - 46' to the plate, 60' basepaths, whereas the senior division starts play on the regulation 60' 6"/90' diamond.