Steve Johnson

Didn't see him much tonight, hearing a lot about Felton Huggins and Justin Jenkins... Could he be scrapped?

In OTA's he was doing fantastic, haven't heard much of him late in Training Camp, would hate to let that upside go to waste.

Anyone know anything about his situation?

There's a school of thought that would suggest the Bills gave playing time tonight to players they needed to see more from, and Johnson has already shown enough in camp to earn his spot.

Not saying that's what happened...just that it's a possibility.

There's a school of thought that would suggest the Bills gave playing time tonight to players they needed to see more from, and Johnson has already shown enough in camp to earn his spot.

I think you are right on this one and the folks who seem to have their panties all up in a wad to cut Johnson because he has shown nothing in our exhibition games are likely misreading this situation.

I don't see how "he's looked fanastic" at anything this preseason. We just hear his name all the time, there's a difference. Everyone is talking about him and saying he is good, but where the hell is he? Has anyone actually seen him do anything worth wile?

Probably the best put post so far eball, I like that train of thought.

But... again, rookie being hidden with PS intentions is a possibility too.

I hope he makes the team, seems like a morally sound guy, liked him at K-town, could make an impact down the road. Here's to Stevie Johnson in 2010!

Too late on my post...

Huggins didn't look that great though, had a false start penalty.

Had a drop too. IIRC Hamdan fit a ball in between the corner and safety and Huggins didn't catch it cleanly then dropped it after he got hit. Jenkins made some nice plays thogh, including the 3rd dwon catch over the middle where the ball was wayyy behind him.

they could be hiding him in hopes to cut him and put him on the practice squad

the more i see of Huggins and Jenkins the more I like though

Not really impressed with Jenkins, couple of drops on sure catches, and a fumble.

I'm with the crowd that thinks Johnson has made the team and the looks are going to huggins and jenkins so we can determine if we're keeping a 6th WR, and if so, which one to keep.

The practice squad decision could be foolish, because not only does he need to clear waivers, but when on the P.S., any team can claim him to their active roster at any point during the season.

For Johnson (or any 6th WR) to make the 53, I think they'd have to have prowess on ST...

I remember when we released all of the ST players from the Preseason, and week 1, players were doing them for the first time... I hope we don't do that again... Especially since we didn't re-sign so many of our ST players (Aiken, Wire, Stamer, etc).

I'm starting to think the Bills are intentionally not giving him looks so they can put him on the practice squad for a year.

Why would the Bills be hiding him? We're making him sound like he's some secret weapon. He is a young player and he needs time playing in real NFL game situations. Having him sit during games is robbing him of much needed game-time play and would be a detriment to his development and growth as a future NFL player. If he is so good and is going to some great WR, why not let him develop into one now. Let's be real, if all these teams wanted him so bad, why did he last to the 7th round?

That being said, he likely goes to the practice squad or perhaps stays on active roster as a ST player. Teams aren't going to claim him to put him on their active roster as a WR. He's only like caught 5 passes in the last 3 games. And remember, I'm sure every team in the NFL has their golden boy who all the fans are collectively holding their breath so he clears waivers and lands on their own practice squad.

Why would the Bills be hiding him? We're making him sound like he's some secret weapon. He is a young player and he needs time playing in real NFL game situations. Having him sit during games is robbing him of much needed game-time play and would be a detriment to his development and growth as a future NFL player. If he is so good and is going to some great WR, why not let him develop into one now. Let's be real, if all these teams wanted him so bad, why did he last to the 7th round?

That being said, he likely goes to the practice squad or perhaps stays on active roster as a ST player. Teams aren't going to claim him to put him on their active roster as a WR. He's only like caught 5 passes in the last 3 games. And remember, I'm sure every team in the NFL has their golden boy who all the fans are collectively holding their breath so he clears waivers and lands on their own practice squad.

You hide him so nobody else has film on him which reduces the chances of him getting picked up by someone else. Other teams can sign people away to their PS as well which also reduces the chances we'd get him back because he'd stop learning our system and start learning theirs, etc.

You are correct the every team has one or two guys they want to sneak through, however.

You hide him so nobody else has film on him which reduces the chances of him getting picked up by someone else. Other teams can sign people away to their PS as well which also reduces the chances we'd get him back because he'd stop learning our system and start learning theirs, etc.

You are correct the every team has one or two guys they want to sneak through, however.

I understand why teams would hide a player, but the team would be doing so at the expense of developing that player. If a player doesn't develop, then they are no use to the team. Practice is good and all, but it doesn't compare to the real, live competition of a game. A player could practice till they're blue, but could then flop when it comes to the real thing. But anyways, even if they are hiding him for that reason, then that should mean he pretty much has already been designated to the practiced squad.

I understand why teams would hide a player, but the team would be doing so at the expense of developing that player. If a player doesn't develop, then they are no use to the team. Practice is good and all, but it doesn't compare to the real, live competition of a game. A player could practice till they're blue, but could then flop when it comes to the real thing. But anyways, even if they are hiding him for that reason, then that should mean he pretty much has already been designated to the practiced squad.

You're not going to get a whole lot of experience playing in garbage time of already meaningless pre-season games. So there's little benefit to having a guy you want to stash play, only to see another team take him.

You're not going to get a whole lot of experience playing in garbage time of already meaningless pre-season games. So there's little benefit to having a guy you want to stash play, only to see another team take him.

Exactly, lets assume for a second the Stevie Johnson is great (I'm by no means sure of this but lets just say). he plays last night against Indy's 7th CB who will be getting cut in two weeks and has 7 catches for 160 yds and 3 tds. That's going to get some attention, no? Whereas if you've like what you've seen in practice but know he'll be your 5th or 6th WR because (god forbid you actually have some decent WRs already) why let anyone else see what you've seen? SJ will get better by playing on your scout team for a year than he would have gotten playing against whatever trash CBs Indy would have thrown out there.

Exactly, lets assume for a second the Stevie Johnson is great (I'm by no means sure of this but lets just say). he plays last night against Indy's 7th CB who will be getting cut in two weeks and has 7 catches for 160 yds and 3 tds. That's going to get some attention, no? Whereas if you've like what you've seen in practice but know he'll be your 5th or 6th WR because (god forbid you actually have some decent WRs already) why let anyone else see what you've seen? SJ will get better by playing on your scout team for a year than he would have gotten playing against whatever trash CBs Indy would have thrown out there.

Has he had any injuries?