Marcus Stroud atricle

Link

They are going with a 3-headed monster at DT to help fill the shoes of Stroud and are trying to get quicker on the ends to provide more pressure on the QB. However, they still haven't signed 1st round pick Harvey.

One of the quotes from the article mentioned that when Stroud was healthy during the first 8 games of lasat season, the team had a 19% stuff rate on runs up the middle and when he was out for the final 8, the Jags had a 28% successful run stuff rate.

9 November 4 @ New Orleans Saints L 41-24 Louisiana Superdome 5-3

10 November 11 @ Tennessee Titans W 28-13 LP Field 6-3

11 November 18 San Diego Chargers W 24-17 Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 7-3

12 November 25 Buffalo Bills W 36-14 Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 8-3

13 December 2 @ Indianapolis Colts L 28-25 RCA Dome 8-4 NFL

14 December 9 Carolina Panthers W 37-6 Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 9-4 NFL

15 December 16 @ Pittsburgh Steelers W 29-22 Heinz Field 10-4 NFL

16 December 23 Oakland Raiders W 49-11 Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 11-4 NFL

17 December 30 @ Houston Texans L 42-28 Reliant Stadium 11-5 NFL

In week 9, the Saints put up 538 total yards including 103 yards on the ground at an average of 4.1 yards per rush.

In week 10, the Titans put up 292 total yards including 62 on the ground at an average of 3.3 yards/rush

In week 11, the Chargers put up 388 total yards including 79 yards rushing at an average of 4 yards/rush

In week 12, the Bills put up 297 total yards including 94 yards rushing at an average of 3.9 yards/rush (Marshawn lynch was also out of the game)

In week 13, the Colts had 342 total yards including 63 yards rushing at an average of 2.5 yards/rush

In week 14, the Panthers had 149 total yards including 50 yards rushing at an average of 3.3 yards/rush (Note: Vinny Testaverde started this game for the Panthers)

In week 15, the Steelers had 217 total yards including including 115 yards rushing at 6.1 yards/rush

In week 16 the Raiders had 215 total yards including including 110 yards rushing at 3.7 yards/rush

In week 17, the Texans had 290 total yards including including 170 yards rushing at 5 yards/rush

So the Jaguars gave up an average of 105 + yards a game on the ground without Stroud

With Stroud, the Jags gave up an aver of 94 yards a game including 282 on the ground opening day to the Titans

It's a team game and he was injured so the stats are hard to peg to one guy. I am very happy with what I have seen thus far. I had forgotten what it was like to have one of our DT's draw a double team. Remember Larry Tripplett getting driven five yards back into the endzone then onto his butt as Ahmad Bradshaw walked into the endzone last year vs. the G-Men. I am elated to have Stroud on the Bills.

Greggggggg Williams is the Jags DC. I remember a time in buffalo where he didnt want some fat DT so we could be quicker. The guy's name was Ted-something. How'd that turn out? I think we're seeing the same situation in Jax.

Greggggggg Williams is the Jags DC. I remember a time in buffalo where he didnt want some fat DT so we could be quicker. The guy's name was Ted-something. How'd that turn out? I think we're seeing the same situation in Jax.

+1

I doubt the Jaguars are all busted up and blubbering over his loss though. They still have Henderson; and, Stroud was having trouble staying on the field for them.

Maybe. Doesn't matter what the jags think. What only matters is if Stroud makes the Bills a better team.

Maybe. Doesn't matter what the jags think. What only matters is if Stroud makes the Bills a better team.

Could not agree more. The acquisition was a win-win situation. Everybody goes home happy.

Not everyone is so sure.

One AFC scout said that none of the people replacing Stroud make for the same sort of imposing presence up the middle the Jaguars had when he was paired with John Henderson. In Buffalo they are counting on Stroud to command the sort of double teams that freed up Jacksonville's play-making linebackers.

I would say the dropoff in run stuffing has more to do with Greggo than anything else. Stroud has a huge chip on his shoulder now to prove something to Jerksonville. He was also coming off an injury last year too so that figures into it as well.

I think the hopeful news for the Bills is also that though Stroud was clearly hobbled by injuries last year, the Bills plan is to rely heavily on a wave system of rotating DL players which should mandate that Stroud split duty with Spence Johnson whom the Bills also targeted to get as an FA and also likely with other DTs past starter Williams and 1st round selection McCargo.

I have not watched the Jags enough to know how they employed Stroud, but given the rep he developed he seems to have been called upon to be the primary player with Henderson at DT for the Jags rather than use of him in a rotation which should lessen his wear and tear.

Just like we haven't been missing Pat Williams ever since Donahoe announced that we would be replacing him with Tim Anderson...

Who was the younger DT we expected to take his place? Someone from Texas Tech or A&M, right?