Wright vs. Oman vs. Hall - who sticks?

I'll be watching the battle between Oman and Wright Sunday. The last two games I don't think either player has shown enough to be a lock to make the team. (And I was predicting Oman would shine) If it continues this way, I guess the tie goes to Wright for being the incumbent. Any comments? [EDIT:] In the meantime I think Bruce Hall has looked a little better and has gotten more caries earlier in games.

PTR

I'll be watching the battle between Oman and Wright Sunday. The last two games I don't think either player has shown enough to be a lock to make the team. (And I was predicting Oman would shine) If it continues this way, I guess the tie goes to Wright for being the incumbent. Any comments?

PTR

You might want to lower your expectations a bit. After all this is a battle for the 3rd RB position. Wright is only in his 2nd year and Omon is a rookie. The coaches will be looking for two things out of these guys. Can they block, and can they catch passes? If either one of them does those two things well, then you will have your winner. Then again it could come down to special teams play as well.

My guess is Wright makes the team and Oman goes to the practice squad. Wright offers more for the special teams, I think, and in the end that's what it comes down to for the #3 RB. I know nothing about Hall.

I don't think I can agree with that because Wright has shown signs of fumbling a lot. Granted, Oman fumbled once in only two games of preseason, he is still a rookie. Keep in mind that Wright dropped off the radar last year after many local writers were saying he had a very strong camp, and didn't play very much at all during the year, so the coaches must know something. It's tough to decide and although Wright has had one year in the system, who is to say that Oman couldn't do just as good a job on special teams...I think we can all agree that Bobby April knows what he is doing and with or without Wright, things will be just fine in that area. But fumbling is something that really could hurt you in a game, and potentially, even a season. I think that right now, if we were in a game and it was between having Oman and Wright in the backfield, Oman has the upper-hand .

My guess is Wright makes the team and Oman goes to the practice squad. Wright offers more for the special teams, I think, and in the end that's what it comes down to for the #3 RB. I know nothing about Hall.

I'm sort of with you, but I'm not sure Wright is much of a ST player. He doesn't seem like he would be one, based on his style of running.

Hall, who I haven't really liked running the ball, seems like he might be best suited to play ST out of the trio.

In any event, there's no question Oman goes to the practice squad.

First thing's first... everyone needs to get the damn guy's name right. Its OMON.

I don't think the Bills would cut a 4th round pick after only a year. Omon could go on the practice squad without anyone picking him up, the same does not go for Wright. If you've noticed, last game was the first time Omon saw significant action, which leads me to believe they are "stashing" him for the practice squad.

I like both players, but I just think its easier to keep them both (Wright on team, Omon on P.S.) instead of just keeping one (cutting Wright).

Wright has fumbled in three straight games. That costs him a job. Omon makes the squad. Kid has good balance, not afraid to hit someboby.

Considering we've only played 2 games this year, I don't think your opinion counts for much :rolleyes:

I believe RB's will be :

Lynch, Jackson, Wright

best of these 2 on PS - Hall, Omen

Sounds right to me. Carrying 4 RB's seems a luxury. I'd have to have some real concern about the health of my starter, or that that 4th RB would have some really exceptional ability on ST.

First thing's first... everyone needs to get the damn guy's name right. Its OMON.

I don't think the Bills would cut a 4th round pick after only a year. Omon could go on the practice squad without anyone picking him up, the same does not go for Wright. If you've noticed, last game was the first time Omon saw significant action, which leads me to believe they are "stashing" him for the practice squad.

I like both players, but I just think its easier to keep them both (Wright on team, Omon on P.S.) instead of just keeping one (cutting Wright).

I'd agree except on PS there's always the chance another team picks him up. Wright has fumbled 3 times in 42 career carries (this pre-season and last regular season) He has fumbled twice in 13 carries this PS.

Omon has fumbled once in 15 carries. We really need to see more of Omon to know if that's a problem for him or not and I hope he and Wright get a lot of work this week. I like the game smarts Omon has shown including blitz pick-ups and how he sacrificed yards to stay in bounds at the end of the game last week. Those things make a big difference to a RBs success but don't necessarily go on the stat sheet so keep an eye there while watching. Thus far, Omon has stepped up and stoned some LBs and has had a few nice cut blocks. He's a smaller guy so it's not like Sam Gash knocking someone out but he definietly reads the right guy and stops the blitzer which is all he needs to do.

Wright hasn't impressed me in general since last season and his fumbles don't help that at all so you could call me biased a little bit. To me he's always looked like a bit of a plodder and the burst has been lacking which could be excused if he were a punishing runner but he doesn't really seem to be that either and if he puts the ball down again he's gone IMO. Otherwise it's still a battle. I think Hall is at best a PS guy becuase he was undrafted and battling with two drfat choices. It's tough to knock out two draft picks unless you are playing Gayle Sayers good when you get an opportunity.

I'd agree except on PS there's always the chance another team picks him up. Wright has fumbled 3 times in 42 career carries (this pre-season and last regular season) He has fumbled twice in 13 carries this PS.

Omon has fumbled once in 15 carries. We really need to see more of Omon to know if that's a problem for him or not and I hope he and Wright get a lot of work this week. I like the game smarts Omon has shown including blitz pick-ups and how he sacrificed yards to stay in bounds at the end of the game last week. Those things make a big difference to a RBs success but don't necessarily go on the stat sheet so keep an eye there while watching. Thus far, Omon has stepped up and stoned some LBs and has had a few nice cut blocks. He's a smaller guy so it's not like Sam Gash knocking someone out but he definietly reads the right guy and stops the blitzer which is all he needs to do.

Wright hasn't impressed me in general since last season and his fumbles don't help that at all so you could call me biased a little bit. To me he's always looked like a bit of a plodder and the burst has been lacking which could be excused if he were a punishing runner but he doesn't really seem to be that either and if he puts the ball down again he's gone IMO. Otherwise it's still a battle. I think Hall is at best a PS guy becuase he was undrafted and battling with two drfat choices. It's tough to knock out two draft picks unless you are playing Gayle Sayers good when you get an opportunity.

:rolleyes:

I was just looking at your roster sig... No Donnie Spragan or Will James?

yea I was debateing on wether they keep Costanzo or Spragan...Ive seen Costanzo do more in ST and really havent heard much from Spragan...My original thought was Spragan was just brought in as camp fodder...Corto has looked good in both areas as well....unfortunatly I wont be able to watch the Indy game so Ill have to wait till game 4 to see who looks better....by game 4 a lot of the guys will be gone anyways

On James....Corners looking good as well is youboty...only way I see James make it is if the Bills go with 6 CB's over 5...again it comes down to ST play....Both Corner and Youboty looked good on ST as well....Havent seen James do anything really bad but havent seen anything really good either..But I'm not a coach so I dont see everything..lol

my sig is ever changing as well...I believe I have 54 on it right now if you include Peters who I have listed as holdout...my biggest problem area is the OL... trying to figure out who I'd keep....Im thinking Preston is gone but hes looked good as depth in both preseason games..Is it to little to late for Preston?..I'm not sure...They could dump Murphy but last I recall Bills were trying to make him a OT....Whittle only backs up 1 spot but I really havent heard anything good or bad from him, but I think he has a good contract, not sure...Bell has looked ok so both he and Felton could go to PS but I beleive if both are on PS 1 will get snagged by another team....

My guess is the following make the team:

Lynch

Jackson

Omon

Wright

Hall and Barnes cut.

Unless Wright picks it up, I think he's at risk. With Omon playing at a similar level, it looks like he has more upside than Wright, who does not seem to be improving much. Wright has shown more decisiveness this year in PS, but it's impossible to overlook the fumbles. Two more strong PS games with no fumbles and I think he makes the team for sure. If Omon does not get many carries tomorrow, then I agree they may be hiding him for the PS. In the past they've cut some of these players in the first cut, I think so they don't receive as much scrutiny as those on the last cut.