If Peters doesn't show

edit - I'm not saying he is hurt, I'm just saying part of this holdout could be related to him not fully recovering from the sports hernia, and knows his best days are behind him and he wants to cash in while he can.

That's the part that kills it for me. If that were the case, he would not be asking for top 3 money in the game. That is simply beyond the realm of possibility for me. If he were really damaged goods, I think he would be trying to get a small extension, not break the bank. It would just be so obvious after a game or two. And Parker would be in a LOT of trouble for doing that. Why would Parker risk his career on a guy with a serious injury, trying to totally screw over another team, when he has 45 other clients making millions?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the part that kills it for me. If that were the case, he would not be asking for top 3 money in the game. That is simply beyond the realm of possibility for me. If he were really damaged goods, I think he would be trying to get a small extension, not break the bank. It would just be so obvious after a game or two. And Parker would be in a LOT of trouble for doing that. Why would Parker risk his career on a guy with a serious injury, trying to totally screw over another team, when he has 45 other clients making millions?

That's an excellent point. Best post countering the "injury' theory yet

That's an excellent point. Best post countering the "injury' theory yet

The problem with that is that the agent doesn't know either. Jason Peters may not know, either. Has he been shoving around 300lb tackling dummies while they run at him? If he hasn't, then he has no idea how his injured sports hernia will react to that kind of pressure in a game. Its not a broken bone that an xray can answer, only playing time in a real game (or even a preseason game) will tell everyone if he's the same beast that he was prior to the injury.

Its one thing to be hiding injuries (which I seriously doubt is happening here), but if nobody knows if he's really healed for game time situations, how is the team supposed to dish out that sort of money blindly?

They can't put a clause in the contract that says, "If you reactivate your injury before week 2 then the contract is void."

The problem with that is that the agent doesn't know either. Jason Peters may not know, either. Has he been shoving around 300lb tackling dummies while they run at him? If he hasn't, then he has no idea how his injured sports hernia will react to that kind of pressure in a game. Its not a broken bone that an xray can answer, only playing time in a real game (or even a preseason game) will tell everyone if he's the same beast that he was prior to the injury.

Its one thing to be hiding injuries (which I seriously doubt is happening here), but if nobody knows if he's really healed for game time situations, how is the team supposed to dish out that sort of money blindly?

They can't put a clause in the contract that says, "If you reactivate your injury before week 2 then the contract is void."

Exactly. We can all say "I'm certain because of..." but it doesn't mean sh-- because it's still speculation.

Exactly. We can all say "I'm certain because of..." but it doesn't mean sh-- because it's still speculation.

So the reason that he is holding out for 10 million a year this year is because he has no idea if he is hurt or not? :angry:

You're right. It is all speculation. But I would still bet anything you want that he is holding out for a huge contract, this year, because he is the third highest paid lineman on his team and he was named a starting Pro Bowl player and his contemporaries are making 5-8 million dollars more per year than he is.

ALL common sense and logic and reporting points to that simple, obvious conclusion, and NO other possible scenario makes much of any sense at all to me.

I hate this saying, but it's a freakin' duck.

just a post on a side note:

imo, the "most important postion on the OLine" is not left tackle. the most important position on a truly successful OLine is the Center.

left tackle is the "sexy" (for COMPLETE lack of better term) line spot since they get credit for protecting the QBs blindside. but the true most-important spot in right in the middle, calling the protections and leading the charge.

imo, the "most important postion on the OLine" is not left tackle. the most important position on a truly successful OLine is the Center.

left tackle is the "sexy" (for COMPLETE lack of better term) line spot since they get credit for protecting the QBs blindside. but the true most-important spot in right in the middle, calling the protections and leading the charge.

If that were true, centers would be making the 9-11 million a year. Coaches and Owners are not going to be fooled by the "sexy pick" (like fans may be) for 30 years.

Very true. This is why Centers are usually top 5 picks, and LTs go late in the draft as compared to almost every other position.

my point exactly. if we are going by highest paid = most important logic, then anyone who questions the drafting of DBs in the early rounds is obviously wrong.

Here are the approximate franchise numbers this year. Sure, you can argue one or more positions may be interchanged but overall, it's not a completely outlandish order. Offensive linemen are lower because at three different positions and five players on the line, the numbers are skewed. If they divided OTs from OGs and Cs, OT would be 3-4.

Quarterbacks: $10.73 Million,

Cornerbacks: $9.47 Million,

Defensive Ends: $8.88 Million,

Linebackers: $8.07 Million,

Wide Receivers: $7.85 Million,

Offensive Lineman: $7.46 Million,

Defensive Tackles: $6.36 Million,

Running Backs: $6.54 Million,

Tight Ends: $4.53 Million,

Safeties: $4.34 Million

Kickers/Punters: $2.51 Million

Entering the 2008 season, 18 of 32 starting NFL tackles are first round picks, nine of whom were top 10 picks. Eight more OLT's went in the second round and outside of Peters, only 5 LT's were Day 2 picks or UDFA's.

The physical skill set to play LT is so infrequent when compared to interior line play. A premier LT needs long arms, and be strong enough to handle players who can both speed and power rush from the edge. Peters has that, and right now no one else does on the team. Walker's got size, but less than adequate lateral movement. If he had the ability to play LT in Oakland, they'd have had him there after Gallery flopped on the outside.

my point exactly. if we are going by highest paid = most important logic, then anyone who questions the drafting of DBs in the early rounds is obviously wrong.

Pass rushing DEs are the hardest defenders to find, by far. There are very few LTs and Qbs out there on offense. Teams such as the Colts lined up with Manning, Freeney and Glenn. The Pats had Brady, Light and Seymour. The Cowboys had Aikman, Haley and Tunei. Should I continue?

The Bills never were able to replace Bruce, Kelly or Wolford. They concentrated on the secondary, and lost football games. When they did use a #4 on a blocker, they took a fat RT with a history of a bad ankle.

Now, they have a chance. Trent looks good, Schobel is good, and Peters is a pro bowl LT yet you, a Bills Fan are blasting him and in essence, the Bills playoff chances.

My intent is not to be curt or terse. I actually enjoy your posts, but by blasting Peters and defending Ralph and his stooges, you are rooting against yourself as a Bills Fan in terms of your team being able to win. You do have company I must say. Soon my man e-ball will chime in and tell us how great Demetrius Bell is. :angry:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still my opinion, so there! :angry:

honestly, we could go round and round on this all day. what good is having a great LT when the QB is facing pressure straight up the middle? While that ONE LT is taking care of ONE DE right in front of him, the Center is leading the rest of the line and making sure the other 3-5 rushers are being handled. blah blah blah.

If that were true, centers would be making the 9-11 million a year. Coaches and Owners are not going to be fooled by the "sexy pick" (like fans may be) for 30 years.

I have had it with you and all your facts and fancy "logic". :angry: