Anything new on Peters??

BobbyC81

Solid play of Bills' O-line leaves Peters with few options

OLT Jason Peters’ leverage is shrinking every day. The Bills' All-Pro blind-side protector of QB Trent Edwards has yet to report for training camp in search of a new contract. However, the way we hear it, it’s soon coming to the point where he’ll need to show up because he’ll realize there’s no way a deal will be struck with him missing in action. The latest evidence came in Thursday night’s preseason victory over the Steelers, where the first-team offensive line performed well enough to convince the Bills that they’re not destined for failure without Peters. Langston Walker, their starting right tackle who has been playing on the left side during Peters' holdout, performed admirably, but a particularly inspiring effort came from Kirk Chambers at right tackle. Chambers was especially strong in the running game, paving the way for a few nice runs by RB Marshawn Lynch.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A...WHI/default.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------

Peters will show and i hope when he does the bills stand by the fines for this foolishness......he has a contract and it is time to earn it

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't talking about a High School team here. This is what they do for a living, this is how they feed their families. I bet your employer would be more profitable if you took a 50% pay cut. Any chance you will put your "team" first and give back half your paycheck? These guys aren't being any more selfish than any of us are when we try to get the best pay we can get for the work we do.

what family has trouble eating on $3.5million a year?

we're not talking about the difference between $60k or $30k a year. Show up, make your MULTI-MILLIONS and re-negotiate next year to a $7million/year contract.

Holding out and sacrificing the rest of your team for another $3million dollars is in no way like Joe Shmoe trying to get a 5% raise to go from $50k to $52,500.

what family has trouble eating on $3.5million a year?

we're not talking about the difference between $60k or $30k a year. Show up, make your MULTI-MILLIONS and re-negotiate next year to a $7million/year contract.

Holding out and sacrificing the rest of your team for another $3million dollars is in no way like Joe Shmoe trying to get a 5% raise to go from $50k to $52,500.

And Joe Shmoe is not allowed to sit home on his butt "holding-out" for that raise. He would be fired. So, you are correct, these situations are completely different.

And Joe Shmoe is not allowed to sit home on his butt "holding-out" for that raise. He would be fired. So, you are correct, these situations are completely different.

Yes, they are entirely different. Jason Peters has already earned more than most police officers will ever earn in their entire lives. Fair? Of course not, but only a few humans are capable of playing LT in the NFL.

Remember Mike Gandy? He is due to make more than Peters this year. Do you think that Gandy is even almost as good as Peters? It isn't close.

Ralph needs to give this great player a raise. if he wants to play hard ball, he should have done so with one of his defensive backs, not one of the best LTs in the NFL.

If that is the case, he will get traded to a team that will pay him what he is worth and be a fixture in the pro bowl for years. That'll show him.

I am not willing to accept one decent preseason outing from the offense as proof positive that we have no need for a pro bowl left tackle. Call me crazy but I don't see Duke Preston getting snaps at RT, a position he has never played before, as reason to be optimistic.

The team has made it clear, they are not going to renegotiate his contract this year. As they have said over and over, they expect him to live up to the commitment he made two years ago. They won't give him a new deal and he won't play without one. That adds up to a stalemate, otherwise known as a "holdout".
We aren't talking about a High School team here. This is what they do for a living, this is how they feed their families. I bet your employer would be more profitable if you took a 50% pay cut. Any chance you will put your "team" first and give back half your paycheck? These guys aren't being any more selfish than any of us are when we try to get the best pay we can get for the work we do.
Duke has looked good every preseason and yet, without fail, has been next to useless once the regular season started. The team will do whatever they feel they have to do money wise with Peters. But don't tell me we aren't a better team with Jason Peters.

Good morning, Jason - my you're a busy poster this morning. Anyway, it's good to see you're up early. (But why shouldn't you be, since you're so well-rested?)

Now, instead of sittin' on your fat ass while all your teammates are working their butts off, how 'bout hopping in your big-ass, tricked out SUV (that you bought with all that money we're paying you) and heading out to St. John Fisher today? There's about 80 football players, a dozen or so coaches, and the few fans you have left, that would love to see you.

(Oh, and there'll be no money, Jason - but on your deathbed, you'll receive total consciousness. So you got that goin' for you. Which is nice. :devil: )

PS: Ralph can well afford to pay Peters.

Maybe so, but what a terrible precedent doing so would create for negotiations with future holdouts.

You know, Langston Walker was hired to play on the right side and now he's playing pretty well on the left. If he was smart he wouldn't show up at practice today and stay home until the Bills fork over more money, which he deserves.

Walker probably has more leverage now than Peters. :devil:

Yes, they are entirely different. Jason Peters has already earned more than most police officers will ever earn in their entire lives. Fair? Of course not, but only a few humans are capable of playing LT in the NFL.

i never said it wasnt fair. the point is that he is not going to struggle to survive if he ONLY makes $3.5million this year.

Remember Mike Gandy? He is due to make more than Peters this year. Do you think that Gandy is even almost as good as Peters? It isn't close.

Completely irrelevant to this discussion. no one is saying Jason doesnt deserve more money, but if he wants to even have discussions about it, he needs to be at work.

Ralph needs to give this great player a raise. if he wants to play hard ball, he should have done so with one of his defensive backs, not one of the best LTs in the NFL.

wow, you managed to get a dig in about DBs. weird. and i guess letting them walk instead of overpaying for a CB isnt playing hardball? whats your point there? that we shouldve played hardball and sunk $100million of cap room into ONE corner back?

I'd say it is about time for Jason to get serious and the Bills to cough up. It doesn't hurt Peters much to miss this much training camp but he's going to need a few weeks to get into game shape and learn the new wrinkles of the offense. I think he has been shown that the Bills will survive without him (although with him they could do much better). Time for everyone on both sides to put this deal together.

This has been probably already mentioned before but for initially being a FA and coming from the TE position he should compare last years contract as amazing feat to have achieved. Granted he has played phenominal but he just signed a new contract and the coaches have performed a miracle by switching his position and coaching him to the level he's playing at now.........but he's only been playing @ this level for one year. If anything he should get in camp, play like has has been, and work out an agreement for negotiating a new contract next year.

What do people here think........that he has become greedy all of a sudden or is someone suggesting he hold-out? (agent, family, etc.)

Agree.

If he's really that good, can show that he's consistently dominating and not just one or two year phenom, he can play under his current contract for three years and hit the jackpot as a free agent when his contract is up. He'll still be a reasonably young player and should be able to secure a contract that will set him for life.

If the Bills are smart and truly believe he is one of the best, they'll attempt to tie him up to a long term deal to keep him around, either this year or next.

Either way, for the good of this team, he needs to be familiar with the playbook get some reps before the season starts.

In a 16 game schedule, one win or loss can mean the difference between post season play or not. His prolonged absence could be that difference.

Peters - If you're only following your agent's advice, fire him and get into camp - NOW! He's not helping you or the team.

I'd say it is about time for Jason to get serious and the Bills to cough up. It doesn't hurt Peters much to miss this much training camp but he's going to need a few weeks to get into game shape and learn the new wrinkles of the offense. I think he has been shown that the Bills will survive without him (although with him they could do much better). Time for everyone on both sides to put this deal together.

The Bills have shown they can survive - maybe even do quite well, thank you - without Peters; therefore, it's time for them to cave in & cough up? :angry:

Is that you again, Eugene? :devil:

look, i dont think anyone is saying that Peters shouldnt get more money (either now or next year). but its VERY important for the Bills FO to not cave at this point. especially to these bush league tactics.

we have Whitner, Simpson, McKelvin, Poz, Lynch, Edwards, Hardy, etc that will be watching and learning. They will all have renegotiations coming up in the next few years. If the Bills were to crumble and send Peters a check, how many players do you think would be in camp next year? Our offense will be Losman and Jackson and Reed...

The one thing Peters IS doing for the team is allowing himself to become an example for our youngsters of how NOT to negotiate in this league.

look, i dont think anyone is saying that Peters shouldnt get more money (either now or next year). but its VERY important for the Bills FO to not cave at this point. especially to these bush league tactics.

we have Whitner, Simpson, McKelvin, Poz, Lynch, Edwards, Hardy, etc that will be watching and learning. They will all have renegotiations coming up in the next few years. If the Bills were to crumble and send Peters a check, how many players do you think would be in camp next year? Our offense will be Losman and Jackson and Reed...

The one thing Peters IS doing for the team is allowing himself to become an example for our youngsters of how NOT to negotiate in this league.

The Gandy argument is a good one. Peters should be making more than Mike Gandy.

And that would be hilarious if the Walker started blowing hot steam about his contract, leading the Bills to open negotiations.

I do not think noone is arguing Peters deserves more money Bill. It is the way him & his agent have handled this. I mean to have no contact with the bills since January is just being childish. I am glad the FO is holding the line. He will come in eventually, my guess is once he starts missing the actualy game checks, which by my calculations come out to roughly a little more then 200K per game based on Peters current salary.

what i do not think is fair about football players that holdout is...................they can sit most of the season decide to come back,i think in week 10,dog it,and then get full credit for the year as far as years played status for credit towards unrestricted free agency.............i would love to see a team block a player at week 10 and not let the player earn his credit for the final 6 games of the season.the team should be allowed to suspend or pup the player to block their credit.i mean if a player misses all of camp,the majority of the season....why should they get rewarded? go bills!

I do not think noone is arguing Peters deserves more money Bill. It is the way him & his agent have handled this. I mean to have no contact with the bills since January is just being childish. I am glad the FO is holding the line. He will come in eventually, my guess is once he starts missing the actualy game checks, which by my calculations come out to roughly a little more then 200K per game based on Peters current salary.

I suppose we will never know, but I suspect that Ralph simply put his foot down and refused to negotiate. I don't think that "holdong the line" would be a good thing in this sense.

Here's to hoping that I am wrong.

I heard he's trying extremely hard to get on the new Fox Television produced series called America's Dumbest Athletes.

With all these Jason Peters threads, no one has remembered that he WAS one of the dumber athletes coming out. So if he is at least partly calling the shots on his negotiations, that could explain why it seems so illogical. Remember his Wonderlic score?

A big 9

I suppose we will never know, but I suspect that Ralph simply put his foot down and refused to negotiate. I don't think that "holdong the line" would be a good thinmg in this sense.

Here's to hoping that I am wrong.

i love that it is common knowledge that he has an agent who has his players hold out and sit home and you automatically find a way to blame ralph.

why WOULD he negotiate with them when they pull those tactics?

I respectfully disagree Doctor.

Speaking very gererally, once a Bullalo Bill hits free agency, he is gone (if he is any good). A notable exception was Ruben Brown, who failed to get the offers he expected. Ostroski too, but he was terrible.

Many examples of the Bills losing ufas come to mind.....T. Smith, Burress, Winfield, and of course Clements.

The time to sign these guys is before they become ufas. Fo instance, do you really think that if the Bills fail to reach a deal with Evans this year, he will remain in Buffalo? Maybe so, but I very strongly doubt it.

I know....they already did this with Peters. The problem is that his salary is still WAY below market value, and less than two of his fellow linemen.That is ridiculous.

I will give you this....if Peters is unwilling to accept a deal that is somewhat better than the one signed by Dockery, I blame him. Not his agent......him personally.

Jmo.

I respectfully disagree Doctor.

Speaking very gererally, once a Bullalo Bill hits free agency, he is gone (if he is any good). A notable exception was Ruben Brown, who failed to get the offers he expected. Ostroski too, but he was terrible.

Many examples of the Bills losing ufas come to mind.....T. Smith, Burress, Winfield, and of course Clements.

The time to sign these guys is before they become ufas. Fo instance, do you really think that if the Bills fail to reach a deal with Evans this year, he will remain in Buffalo? Maybe so, but I very strongly doubt it.

I know....they already did this with Peters. The problem is that his salary is still WAY below market value, and less than two of his fellow linemen.That is ridiculous.

I will give you this....if Peters is unwilling to accept a deal that is somewhat better than the one signed by Dockery, I blame him. Not his agent......him personally.

Jmo.

you actually DONT disagree because i NEVER said we should let him hit free agency. thats ridiculous, and ive already stated numerous times in this thread that i think he DESERVES more money either this year or next year. both of those time frames are WELL BEFORE his current contract expires. of course i want the bills to re-sign those guys before their contracts expire.

my point is that you show young players that if they are willing to show up and work hard (i guess that is too much to ask from talented athletes nowadays) THEN we will be more than happy to renegotiate.

but if you pull baby games, you can sit home and rot.

that is all. there is nothing more to what i am saying than that.

you actually DONT disagree because i NEVER said we should let him hit free agency. thats ridiculous, and ive already stated numerous times in this thread that i think he DESERVES more money either this year or next year. both of those time frames are WELL BEFORE his current contract expires. of course i want the bills to re-sign those guys before their contracts expire.

my point is that you show young players that if they are willing to show up and work hard (i guess that is too much to ask from talented athletes nowadays) THEN we will be more than happy to renegotiate.

but if you pull baby games, you can sit home and rot.

that is all. there is nothing more to what i am saying than that.

OK, I see your point, and it certainly has merit.

The thing is, we are talking about a Left Tackle. If we had a pro bowl qb (for example if Peyton Manning of Brady was a Bill), imo he would have full fan support in terms of being underpaid.

I base my posts about this matter on the premise that the LT position is every bit as important as QB, and I think that most qbs would agree. That is why I am not particularly worried about what Crowell, Whitner, etc. might think.

Once again, jmo.