preseason football sucks

It's more boring than drying paint, and people read all sorts of things into that shouldn't be read into it. Plus guys get injured. Make it go away. It makes me envy baseball fans, who appear to be smart enough to avoid pulling out their crystal balls after watching a spring training game ...

It's more boring than drying paint, and people read all sorts of things into that shouldn't be read into it. Plus guys get injured. Make it go away. It makes me envy baseball fans, who appear to be smart enough to avoid pulling out their crystal balls after watching a spring training game ...

LOL I agree 1000000000000%

Take Preseason for what it is worth. It is nothing more than trying to see who will make the team and letting the starters taste a little blood.

Best post of the last 48 hours, thank you.

I agree. I think the preseason should only be 2 games max. 4 games is really pushing it. Too many chances for injuries ect......

Im not sure if this is true, but back in the early 70's didnt NFL have like 7-8 preseason games?

I really do think 2 preseason games is plenty, one home and one away.

You don't see the huge red flag here? This team of ours played like crap those last three games in '07, they have had HORRIBLE starts to their season the last few years. Bills fans have every right to have major questions about this team based on that preseason performance. There are LOFTY expectations this year. Whitner guaranteed the playoffs, right? Jauron said himself that this is a performance based business, well we're still waiting on that ever elusive performance season. That very bad performance stoked the flames of everyone's worst fears...bad offensive line, bad defensive line, no running game, not one big play from Edwards. Downplaying it because it's preseason football would be fine for about 3/4 of the league, but not a team like the Bills who were was almost dead last in both offense and defense the previous season.

You don't see the huge red flag here? This team of ours played like crap those last three games in '07, they have had HORRIBLE starts to their season the last few years. Bills fans have every right to have major questions about this team based on that preseason performance. There are LOFTY expectations this year. Whitner guaranteed the playoffs, right? Jauron said himself that this is a performance based business, well we're still waiting on that ever elusive performance season. That very bad performance stoked the flames of everyone's worst fears...bad offensive line, bad defensive line, no running game, not one big play from Edwards. Downplaying it because it's preseason football would be fine for about 3/4 of the league, but not a team like the Bills who were was almost dead last in both offense and defense the previous season.

Indy's record in preseason the last 4 seasons: 2-14.

If preseason mattered, the Cincinnati Bengals would have dominated the NFL in the 1990s. They were a preseason powerhouse.

There is one other issue I want to stress: preseason games are staggeringly, mind-numbingly, boring. I watch football for entertainment, and preseason games are very far from entertaining. I admit that this colors my perception.

I agree that too many people read too much into it but I do love watching some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers fighting for positions. Often boring and always meaningless but at least it is football. 2 games would be enough though.

I agree. I think the preseason should only be 2 games max. 4 games is really pushing it. Too many chances for injuries ect......

Im not sure if this is true, but back in the early 70's didnt NFL have like 7-8 preseason games?

I really do think 2 preseason games is plenty, one home and one away.

Do they really need 2 games? I think we have already determined what the roster will be and who are busts after only one here, why bother with the other 3, players are only going to get hurt if they play in them

LOL I agree 1000000000000%

Take Preseason for what it is worth. It is nothing more than trying to see who will make the team and letting the starters taste a little blood.

I concur completely. Preseason has little to no relation to how a team will perform in the regular season (see Indianapolis Colts the last 4 years, combined 4-12). It is just intended to knock off a little of the rust and weed out the non-hackers in the 3rd string.

Excellent post agree 100% We need to see improvement and the players need to know they can do it. If we are struggling against vanilla offense and defense coverages how will they look when the lights really come on?

Great post...preseason does suck. Not too much because the games are incredibly boring and show now indication of how the team will really perform (look at our preseason records during the Super Bowl years)...it sucks because you have to listen to all these local "gurus" say that this player sucks, and that player sucks, and this QB needs to be run out of town.

Its ridiculous.

Excellent post agree 100% We need to see improvement and the players need to know they can do it. If we are struggling against vanilla offense and defense coverages how will they look when the lights really come on?

Vanilla offense? Hardly. Jim Zorn was on the Doc Walker show and when asked how much credence there was in the idea that coaches, like Gibbs before him, don't like to show much during the pre-season, Zorn said in some cases yes, but as far as the THIS Skins team was concerned, they were not going to hold much back because the offense is new to everyone on the team, especially Campbell. He was going to use the pre-season to acquaint his players with the system the best way he new how and that's by having the players PLAYING the system.

Kind of like Spurrier when he took over and kicked everyone's ass in his first pre-season.

GO BILLS!!!

Indy's record in preseason the last 4 seasons: 2-14.

If preseason mattered, the Cincinnati Bengals would have dominated the NFL in the 1990s. They were a preseason powerhouse.

There is one other issue I want to stress: preseason games are staggeringly, mind-numbingly, boring. I watch football for entertainment, and preseason games are very far from entertaining. I admit that this colors my perception.

I remember a certain Bills SB team going 0-4 in the pre-season and everyone was panicking as well because it came on the heels of the '89 season when we didn't make the playoffs. Can you imagine if we had TBD back in those days?

GO BILLS!!!

Kind of like Spurrier when he took over and kicked everyone's ass in his first pre-season.

That turned out really well (7-9 regular season in year one).

Preseason is about finding guys like Fred Jackson and making money off of two home games....anything else is gravy.

Why don't you go shoot yourself or at least change your username to "1angry!@#$ingbitchofabillsfan"

I concur completely. Preseason has little to no relation to how a team will perform in the regular season (see Indianapolis Colts the last 4 years, combined 4-12). It is just intended to knock off a little of the rust and weed out the non-hackers in the 3rd string.

People like to use the Colts' recent preseason performance or Bills' glory days, yet forget Bills' preseason performances when they were field testing Collins, Johnson, & Losman - not too mention the annual full rotation of the offensive coordinators & OL. There were many butt ugly games where the offense had a hard time picking up a first down even against 2nd & 3rd stringers. When the regular season came about, the finished product in Sept didn't look much better than in August.

I'm willing to give Turk & crew the benefit of doubt, but there are way too many new things about this offense for them to just go through the motions.

I'm willing to give Turk & crew the benefit of doubt, but there are way too many new things about this offense for them to just go through the motions.

Having Edwards launch only 5 passes was goofy. "Max" protect him by all means, but he is still a question mark. I wanted to see 20 passes - with the other 1st stringers on the field...the first PS game "usual" conventions should have been tossed into the ditch.

The Bills have been near the bottom of the offensive barrel for a while. I know there are 80 players to evaluate - but tuning up a moribund starting offense should be job #1...

People like to use the Colts' recent preseason performance or Bills' glory days, yet forget Bills' preseason performances when they were field testing Collins, Johnson, & Losman - not too mention the annual full rotation of the offensive coordinators & OL. There were many butt ugly games where the offense had a hard time picking up a first down even against 2nd & 3rd stringers. When the regular season came about, the finished product in Sept didn't look much better than in August.

My memory may be failing me, but wasn't RJ a preseason stud?

My memory may be failing me, but wasn't RJ a preseason stud?

No way. You may be thinking of Losman's first game when he went 8 for 8. But I distinctly remember one of Johnson's preseasons (maybe Greggo's first season) where I don't think he got a first down in a game.

I also don't like to compare football & baseball, as baseball has much more latitude for fixing errors during the season.