Our second Defensive series- Perfect example

AKC

McCargo looks like he'd rather play Will Linebacker than down in the trenches.

On his first play McCargo lets Pete Kendall (who doesn't even have good footing when he pops McCargo) get under his pads and blow him off the ball. Then again, they say old habits die hard. This guy has never shown the ability to get low and play where good DTs makes their living.

The second play is vintage 2007 McCargo- it's 2nd and 4 from the 5 yard line, a short yardage play with the goal line to his back. At the snap, McCargo abandons his gap- I'm guessing because when he did the same in a similar situation last year, some of the media applauded him for his lack of discipline because he got lucky and made a play. Yesterday, the odds won- Portis saw the abandoned gap and went right down to the 1 over the spot McCargo vacated.

Another down later, you get to see every other Bill's DT on the ground as the whistle blows- but McCargo is up and spinning around like a top because he refuses to get down low and put his weight into the line surge.

On a team that is desperate for help in the D interior, this guy who has every reason to be producing positively for us is building a resume that says something else. He just does not appear to have the appetite to fight the other big bodies along the line of scrimmage.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a team that is desperate for help in the D interior, this guy who has every reason to be producing positively for us is building a resume that says something else. He just does not appear to have the appetite to fight the other big bodies along the line of scrimmage.

Thanks Marv for trading up for this guy! :D

McCargo looks like he'd rather play Will Linebacker than down in the trenches.

On his first play McCargo lets Pete Kendall (who doesn't even have good footing when he pops McCargo) get under his pads and blow him off the ball. Then again, they say old habits die hard. This guy has never shown the ability to get low and play where good DTs makes their living.

The second play is vintage 2007 McCargo- it's 2nd and 4 from the 5 yard line, a short yardage play with the goal line to his back. At the snap, McCargo abandons his gap- I'm guessing because when he did the same in a similar situation last year, some of the media applauded him for his lack of discipline because he got lucky and made a play. Yesterday, the odds won- Portis saw the abandoned gap and went right down to the 1 over the spot McCargo vacated.

Another down later, you get to see every other Bill's DT on the ground as the whistle blows- but McCargo is up and spinning around like a top because he refuses to get down low and put his weight into the line surge.

For me the really alarming/disturbing thing was the comments Kollar made in the recent BN article on McCargo, seeming to question his desire/passion.

"Kollar said. “But you’ve got to want it. It’s too hard at the defensive line position. If you don’t really want it, it’s too hard to get it done. We’re just hoping that he’s in that mode, ‘I’m going to do whatever it takes.’ ”

I'm hoping he succeeds - but it's hard to not think "Mike Williams" when you read comments like that :D

For me the really alarming/disturbing thing was the comments Kollar made in the recent BN article on McCargo, seeming to question his desire/passion.

"Kollar said. “But you’ve got to want it. It’s too hard at the defensive line position. If you don’t really want it, it’s too hard to get it done. We’re just hoping that he’s in that mode, ‘I’m going to do whatever it takes.’ ”

I'm hoping he succeeds - but it's hard to not think "Mike Williams" when you read comments like that :D

I coach high school football in Virginia. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. John McCargo in high school was one of the laziest football players I had ever seen. You used to run at his area because he was a freelancer. He was always one of those players who you would see on tape or in person and say, if he only had the heart to go with that ability. And thus, his team sucked all four years. Although, the coaching at that school wasn't all that great, so they may have not instilled a work ethic in him the way he needed.

In no way shape or form does 6 years or so ago indicate where he is now, but he was also lazy in his first couple of seasons at NC State. That was all supposed to be taken care of.

I have no idea how he is now, but back then, he played for a small high school and was really a non-factor before moving on to NC State.

Take it for what it is worth. Doesn't mean anything now.....but I'm just saying.

McCargo is fast approaching 1st round bust status. Don't blame him entirely. He was projected to be a 3rd rounder but ole Modrak and Levy felt he was worth trading back into the 1st round to get. :D

McCargo is fast approaching 1st round bust status. Don't blame him entirely. He was projected to be a 3rd rounder but ole Modrak and Levy felt he was worth trading back into the 1st round to get. :D

Reach for Whitner @ 8, passing up Ngata, only to trade up for McCargo. :D

That is why he needs a guy like Stroud next to him.......remember when we had Ted Washington? He would anchor and the other DT would be more of a freelance guy.

Perhaps that is McCargo's calling.....although like you I would much rather see him anchor a bit more and play his gap

Stroud's presence means little for McCargo's personal improvement. No DT can make the other guy better when the former has poor technique. I take Kollar's words as a sign that it's not sinking in with him. He can't lower the pads and use his lower body strength to get some leverage. If it's not happening this year, I don't see it ever happening.

Thanks Marv for trading up for this guy! :D

Thanks Dick for telling Marv this guy was worth the 2nd and 3rd they gave to Chicago for him. It's safe to say DJ ran the draft in 06.

It's worth noting that Buffalo has counted on McCargo from day one or they would not have made the bold move to trade back into the first. Kyle Williams is a poor option on any DL which needs push up the middle. As much as it's being talked about Stroud being the difference, DT's feed off one another. I saw Williams easily neutralized by opposing OL, and it's no coincidence that the runs up the middle went for decent gains. If the Bills can't stop the run in 08 (and it's early) they'll fare no better than they did in 07.

This is the type of pick that should get the front office fired.

Trading up for and wasting a first round pick on a guy who displays lackluster effort and was CLEARLY a reach.

Instead, every member of the Buffalo Bills front office received a promotion. :D

I coach high school football in Virginia. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. John McCargo in high school was one of the laziest football players I had ever seen. You used to run at his area because he was a freelancer. He was always one of those players who you would see on tape or in person and say, if he only had the heart to go with that ability. And thus, his team sucked all four years. Although, the coaching at that school wasn't all that great, so they may have not instilled a work ethic in him the way he needed.

In no way shape or form does 6 years or so ago indicate where he is now, but he was also lazy in his first couple of seasons at NC State. That was all supposed to be taken care of.

I have no idea how he is now, but back then, he played for a small high school and was really a non-factor before moving on to NC State.

Take it for what it is worth. Doesn't mean anything now.....but I'm just saying.

The one thing that really disturbed me about when we drafted McCargo was that a few board members that were either alumni or went to NC St were not really high on this guy. If the NC St Fans are not high on this guy that is saying something.

Your basing everything on the first preseason game? He had a good second year. DTs often are busts as 1st rounders...ask the Jets and Browns for their recent picks. Why don't we wait and see how things go in a 16 game season...he had a pretty good year last year leading the team in tackles for losses, so he's not all bad.

Your basing everything on the first preseason game? He had a good second year. DTs often are busts as 1st rounders...ask the Jets and Browns for their recent picks. Why don't we wait and see how things go in a 16 game season...he had a pretty good year last year leading the team in tackles for losses, so he's not all bad.

Based on what? Because he made a few plays against the Giants in short yardage situations?

It's apparent, as AKC pointed out, that McCargo has poor technique and rises too quickly at the snap. Not holding his gap is another flaw in his game that he has not corrected in his third year on an NFL roster.

First round draft picks not starting by their 2nd full season in the league (minus QB's) are what you call on the fast-track to bust status.

Bust lol? Yeah whatever. The guy had a pretty darn good season rotating in last year. Give the man more snaps and his numbers are right up there with the good starting DTs of this league. 29 tackles and 2.5 sacks coming off the bench as a DT are not bust numbers.

The kid should be starting.

I think we need to see him during the regular season, next to Stroud. With the whole defense, with real bullets, over the course of a whole game.

I agree completely. Last year at this time, he was digging in next to Larry Tripplett, and the 2nd year player Kyle Williams. McCargo is just coming into his 3rd year in the league. I'd say that the first part of this season is really where he'll need to show the coaches that he can hack it in this defensive scheme, or else he should see his playing time reduced and probably be on the chopping block/bench next offseason.

Based on what? Because he made a few plays against the Giants in short yardage situations?

It's apparent, as AKC pointed out, that McCargo has poor technique and rises too quickly at the snap. Not holding his gap is another flaw in his game that he has not corrected in his third year on an NFL roster.

First round draft picks not starting by their 2nd full season in the league (minus QB's) are what you call on the fast-track to bust status.

Oh come on now....he made more plays then just in the Giants game......there were times last year when he looked like our best DT and he was coming off the bench.

I am not saying that he is playing at the level I want him to....but one game is bending the truth a bit.