Our second Defensive series- Perfect example

AKC

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked this pick and have always thought Marv reached for this pick as well as Youbouty. I always said Marv was in over his head as a GM. I think he got out so quickly because he realized this and didn't want to do too much damage to the club he loved.

yup yup.

Disagree about Youboty though.

That is why he needs a guy like Stroud next to him.......remember when we had Ted Washington? He would anchor and the other DT would be more of a freelance guy.

Right now our best model for the above may be keeping the two FA DTs on the field together.

I saw Williams easily neutralized by opposing OL, and it's no coincidence that the runs up the middle went for decent gains. If the Bills can't stop the run in 08 (and it's early) they'll fare no better than they did in 07.

It was very interesting to watch how the Redskins first unit schemed on passing downs. When it was Stroud/Williams, Williams drew two hats and the 'Skins elected to play Stroud straight up against Randy Thomas- their OG who is considered a much better run than pass blocker. When Stroud went out for SpencerJ, the 'Skins gave Thomas help.

I should mention that Thomas was perfectly effective in the limited passing snaps he faced Stroud one on one. There was no sign of the good upfield steps Marcus showed back in the early part of the decade. If "the book" on Stroud is right, based upon how Washington protected their QB when he was in the game, we should expect to see Stroud giving us his contributions against the run and becoming a liability in the passing game since he won't be a threat nor drawing any extra help. We needed help against the run, and Marcus still has his low game- but if he doesn't improve over the course of the preseason in penetration we shouldn't expect him to improve our pass defense- at all.

The good news on penetration might be that SpencerJ was given a lot of reps- and would have blown up a draw going away fom him if he hadn't been pulled to the ground by his jersey. I'd say if we're looking for a pleasant surprise along our DLine this season, Spencer would be the best bet. He's not the biggest guy on the field, but if Stroud gets pulled on passing downs and Spencer sees a lot of action, his instincts and athleticism might be a net gain for us in getting some push into opposing pockets.

I coach high school football in Virginia. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. John McCargo in high school was one of the laziest football players I had ever seen. You used to run at his area because he was a freelancer. He was always one of those players who you would see on tape or in person and say, if he only had the heart to go with that ability. And thus, his team sucked all four years. Although, the coaching at that school wasn't all that great, so they may have not instilled a work ethic in him the way he needed.

In no way shape or form does 6 years or so ago indicate where he is now, but he was also lazy in his first couple of seasons at NC State. That was all supposed to be taken care of.

I have no idea how he is now, but back then, he played for a small high school and was really a non-factor before moving on to NC State.

Take it for what it is worth. Doesn't mean anything now.....but I'm just saying.

It's funny how Marv said and wrote in his book that he only wanted players that were "intrinsically motivated", and then Marv trades up

to get a guy like McCargo.

He is starting to seem a lot like Mike Williams, just the other side of the ball.

I hate trading up, especially when Buffalo does it with sub-par teams.

:huh:

You guys are unbelievable.

I'd call you idiots, but that'd be an insult to all the stupid people.

I think this post pretty much belongs in every thread.

But he was a first round linemen. That's how you win. First round linemen. I know you've written this about 1000 times.

Just because the Bills chose him in the first round doesn't make him a first round lineman... it was a reach in the truest sense. Thanks Marv! :huh:

Just because the Bills chose him in the first round doesn't make him a first round lineman... it was a reach in the truest sense. Thanks Marv! :huh:

Don't try to explain it to the oxygen deprived- there are clearly three idiots on TSW don't understand the difference between a quality DT worthy of a first round pick (Tommy Harris, Haloti Ngata) versus a reach like McCargo. In fact the idiot who has perpetrated the myth that any poster ever suggested "any DT blah blah blah" has refused the opportunity to show that anyone but himself has ever made the claim. Because, of course, it's nothing more than an idiot's mantra to cover up an inability to grasp clear patterns and strategies of the league's best teams.

Right WRamius?

;-)

Ur really dum. Only first rounders who are good count, everyone else is a reach. For example, Ryan Sims doesn't count even though he was taken #6 overall cause he sucks, same with Jimmy Kennedy.

BlueFire, i believe you just cracked the code to AKC's supermostexcellent © drafting method: first round DTs that turn out to be busts aren't really "1st rounders," and thus cant be counted as "1st round DTs" in the supermostexcellent © method of winning super bowls.

Too bad, because there are a lot of 1st round "non-1st rounders" such as Travis Johnson, Jonathan Sullivan, D'wayne Roberston, William Joseph, etc.

Ur really dum. Only first rounders who are good count, everyone else is a reach. For example, Ryan Sims doesn't count even though he was taken #6 overall cause he sucks, same with Jimmy Kennedy.

You're welcome to all the admiration you can muster for the front office of the Chiefs, but for the balance of us who are honestly evaluating what the good teams in the league are doing on draft day, the Chiefs are hardly one of our models.

You're welcome to all the admiration you can muster for the front office of the Chiefs, but for the balance of us who are honestly evaluating what the good teams in the league are doing on draft day, the Chiefs are hardly one of our models.

This isn't directed at you at all, but the position *does* have a really high bust rate for first rounders, and the Giants d-line last year was heavy on rounds 2-4 (Strahan-2; Tuck-3; Umenyiora-2; Barry Cofield-4; Fred Robbins-2 (but signed by the Giants as a FA)). Kiawanuka was hurt, and their one true DT first rounder of recent years, William Joseph, was a bust. Also, if reports are to be believed, the reason the Bills traded up for McCargo is because the Giants were set on taking him.

Also, if reports are to be believed, the reason the Bills traded up for McCargo is because the Giants were set on taking him.

Also if reports are to be believed, one of the predraft knocks on Ngata was that he tended to take plays off during the game.

BlueFire, i believe you just cracked the code to AKC's supermostexcellent © drafting method: first round DTs that turn out to be busts aren't really "1st rounders," and thus cant be counted as "1st round DTs" in the supermostexcellent © method of winning super bowls.

The record is there for anyone honest to see- what I've said is that the best team's use a higher amounts of their early draft equity on DTs than the Bills and the Lions.

Your tactic when you can't grasp something (and something fairly simple in this case) is to regurgitate another 400 posts telling a lie (any DT taken in the first...) that you hope somehow is adopted by others as simple as yourself. Congratulations on finding three other idiots on TSW with similar difficulties in truth-telling.

I don't think statistics is a model that you follow either.

The record is there for anyone honest to see- what I've said is that the best team's use a higher amounts of their early draft equity on DTs than the Bills and the Lions.

Your tactic when you can't grasp something (and something fairly simple in this case) is to regurgitate another 400 posts telling a lie (any DT taken in the first...) that you hope somehow is adopted by others as simple as yourself. Congratulations on finding three other idiots on TSW with similar difficulties in truth-telling.

Then your theory would be proven with numbers. Of course, over a span of 4 months, your theory has been unequivocally disproved by anyone who examined your data, assumptions and results.

This is the type of pick that should get the front office fired.

Trading up for and wasting a first round pick on a guy who displays lackluster effort and was CLEARLY a reach.

Instead, every member of the Buffalo Bills front office received a promotion. :huh:

Yep, I never understood the pick to begin with.