Peters info per Chris Brown

Did you lower yourself to have meaningless conversations with Janitors on busses to make them feel more important?

Even better, I worked as a janitor, excuse me, custodian on campus during the summers, ahhhh the good old days

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is part of the contact and reason for upfront bonuses.

It is a fact those who talk about being cut forget conveniently.

Exactly. I'm well aware of that. So when you sign a contract as a reformed tight end who is a project and MIGHT end up being a decent lineman, you get the bonus that coincides with that level. Two years later, when you are a team's best lineman, and only Pro Bowler playing what has become a franchise position in the NFL, shouldn't you command more bonus money?

The Bills are at risk giving a new deal because Peters could get injured and it would be a loss of big bonus money. Peters is at risk not getting a new deal because on his first play, someone could roll over his leg and rip his knee, ankle, and achilles. He would get cut having signed his last contract at a backup LT level. He's a franchise player at the moment, and those moments can be gone in a flash.

The Bills need to offer a nice raise and pay the man. Peters needs to come back to the pack a little bit and understand that the organization has been pretty fair and patient thus far, and also have developed him into the talent he is.

Russ: Pay the man.

Peters: Get your ass to camp.

I didn't want this to get lost in the already super long threads...

I asked Chris Brown if any of Peter's linemates had heard from him. He said no one has indicated they've heard from him.

To me, this is a bad sign, it's a sign he is preparing to hold out for an extended period... This is a unique situation as has been discussed. Someone must be feeding his ego and making him think he doesn't need to prove anything... Like Jerry Glanville said, the NFL stands for Not For Long. And spending a season in your prime out of the game isn't going to help him at all... It isn't going to endear him with any other GM - and there's no guarantee he'll come back and play as well as he did before the holdout. He'll have to wait 3 years for a release... most holdouts only have 1 year left, so they have a bit of bargaining power - given they'll become a FA. His agent is doing him a disservice right now if he's encouraging this (which I have to believe he is doing). Heck, maybe they aren't even talking...

Don't worry, he's not that stupid to holdout becuz he knows the team still owns him the next 3 years. Sitting at home and not cashing in is not where his agent wants him.

If he doesn't show up for September, then we should hold on to his rights and not trade him!!! Let him waste his HOF career away in stupidity.

Don't worry, he's not that stupid to holdout becuz he knows the team still owns him the next 3 years. Sitting at home and not cashing in is not where his agent wants him.

If he doesn't show up for September, then we should hold on to his rights and not trade him!!! Let him waste his HOF career away in stupidity.

The bottom line is does it make the team better or worse- If you hurt the team to punish a player " you're cutting off your nose to spite your face" but whatever! I can't get too worked up about a player already making millions or an owner making tens of millions- my bottom line is that I no longer have the time or money to waste it on a bad product and if the lack of Peters hinders this team from crawling out of the mud of mediocrity don't expect any leeway.

The article in today's new reinforces my opinion that the Bills aren't willing at all to renegotiate with him this year, and from the agent's POV there is nothing to talk about. The Bills told him he needs to play this year at his contract he already has. Parker wants to redo the deal now. What is there to say? They are both just playing hardball.

Again, I am not on Peters' side and think he needs to play for the 3.25 mil this year and get his big payday next year. But the Bills weren't going to "talk" to him about a new deal this year if he just came to camp, which was all bullschit.

And again, I think he will be in camp at least a couple weeks before the season starts when Parker realizes the Bills are serious. But that he is simply showing that he is serious, too, about a holdout for next year when the real hard negotiating begins. The later he caves this year, the more leverage he has next year. I'm not saying he should be doing this, only that it is not totally stupid and without a reason behind it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/405179.html

The article in today's new reinforces my opinion that the Bills aren't willing at all to renegotiate with him this year, and from the agent's POV there is nothing to talk about. The Bills told him he needs to play this year at his contract he already has. Parker wants to redo the deal now. What is there to say? They are both just playing hardball.

Again, I am not on Peters' side and think he needs to play for the 3.25 mil this year and get his big payday next year. But the Bills weren't going to "talk" to him about a new deal this year if he just came to camp, which was all bullschit.

And again, I think he will be in camp at least a couple weeks before the season starts when Parker realizes the Bills are serious. But that he is simply showing that he is serious, too, about a holdout for next year when the real hard negotiating begins. The later he caves this year, the more leverage he has next year. I'm not saying he should be doing this, only that it is not totally stupid and without a reason behind it.

The article also says Peters has not involved the Bills in his rehab after surgery. heck, they don't even know if he even had rehab! There has been NO contact...N O N E ! That is what's weird. You can claim the Bills are playing hardball but there hasn't been batting practice yet. Make all the excuses you want for Peters and Parker. Their behavior is bizarre.

PTR

Kelly, I'll continue to disagree with you that a significant holdout this year increases Peters' leverage next year. The Bills don't care how long he stays out right now if he eventually shows up in shape and has a good season. In fact, if they presume (as you and I do) that Peters WILL eventually show up, his absence right now has enabled them to have a number of players take significant reps at LT so they know what they really have.

Additionally, if and when Peters shows up there will certainly be some negotiations, because holding Peters' feet to the fire on the mounting fines is not going to sit well for future contract discussions. If the Bills waive the fines, they're setting a bad precedent for future players who decide they just don't want to go to training camp.

Exactly. I'm well aware of that. So when you sign a contract as a reformed tight end who is a project and MIGHT end up being a decent lineman, you get the bonus that coincides with that level. Two years later, when you are a team's best lineman, and only Pro Bowler playing what has become a franchise position in the NFL, shouldn't you command more bonus money?

The Bills are at risk giving a new deal because Peters could get injured and it would be a loss of big bonus money. Peters is at risk not getting a new deal because on his first play, someone could roll over his leg and rip his knee, ankle, and achilles. He would get cut having signed his last contract at a backup LT level. He's a franchise player at the moment, and those moments can be gone in a flash.

The Bills need to offer a nice raise and pay the man. Peters needs to come back to the pack a little bit and understand that the organization has been pretty fair and patient thus far, and also have developed him into the talent he is.

Though on second thought, I am happy to accept a configuration where:

Either configuration is fine.

Though on second thought, I am happy to accept a configuration where:

Either configuration is fine.

That's what I've been saying. After Peters' injury, I think that the Bills taking a look-see at him before giving him a deal is totally reasonable. But if he does come to camp, show he's back 100%, then the Bills need to pay him.

The article also says Peters has not involved the Bills in his rehab after surgery. heck, they don't even know if he even had rehab! There has been NO contact...N O N E ! That is what's weird. You can claim the Bills are playing hardball but there hasn't been batting practice yet. Make all the excuses you want for Peters and Parker. Their behavior is bizarre.

PTR

They are not excuses. Show me one excuse. It's a reason. Their behavior is not bizarre at all. They are simply playing the negotiating game. I would bet you ANY amount of money that the ONLY reason that Peters isn't talking to anyone is the exact same reason that Marshawn Lynch didn't, his lawyer/agent told him not to. He told him "this will ultimately hurt our chances. You will have to believe me on this."

It's a unique situation. And as I said a dozen times, I am not on Peters side. I think he should be in camp and playing and just not be so impatient, but wait a year for his monster contract. My posts have been trying to put some perspective on what I think is more bizarre behavior, that of some fans here. That one of the best players in the game and one of the very best agents in the game have no idea what they are doing and no reason for this whatsoever, or have no idea what the Bills are prepared to do or offer. That logic is more insane than anything i have read anywhere about this entire mess.

I also think the injury excuse, that he and his agent are hiding something is virtually impossible.

It's a very simple concept and problem, IMO. And there is nothing that doesn't make sense. Jason Peters and his agent are convinced they should be paid in the top 2-3 LTs in the league because Jason Peters is one of the top 2-3 LTs in the league and he is very young and likely to get better. They want to be paid NOW commensurate with that fact. The Bills think he is one of the best 2-3 in the league, too, but they hold all the cards because they have him under contract for THREE years. They know he will play this year and play his ass off (simply because he has to to get the monster deal that is down the line).

The games haven't started yet and won't for a month so Parker is playing tough guy seeing if the Bills will flinch. They havent yet and likely won't. That's all that's happening. There isn't one thing strange about it. The Bills are trying to play the media and also contact Peters to try to get him to not believe in his agent. That's the way things work.

There is nothing to talk about from Parker's POV, let alone Peters. He wants to renegotiate now. The Bills don't and won't. Peters will be in camp in the next few weeks and maybe even the next few days. The only thing that isn't known, to me, is how long Parker is willing to play it tough.

Kelly, I'll continue to disagree with you that a significant holdout this year increases Peters' leverage next year. The Bills don't care how long he stays out right now if he eventually shows up in shape and has a good season. In fact, if they presume (as you and I do) that Peters WILL eventually show up, his absence right now has enabled them to have a number of players take significant reps at LT so they know what they really have.

Additionally, if and when Peters shows up there will certainly be some negotiations, because holding Peters' feet to the fire on the mounting fines is not going to sit well for future contract discussions. If the Bills waive the fines, they're setting a bad precedent for future players who decide they just don't want to go to training camp.

Well, we're not far off. Here is what I mean by that: No one knows if it will work or not, but Parker is hedging a bet. The issue is that the money is SO huge, 50 - 100 million maybe, that any real advantage you have could mean 10 million dollars or more. That's a ton of money, and since agents only get their 3% or whatever, that could mean a difference of a lot of cash for Parker, too.

What Parker is thinking (and surely this is all conjecture but it makes sense), is that he knows the Bills aren't going to cave this year. But the longer he stays out this year, the more they have to believe he will sit his client out next year when the real negotiating begins. The Bills may only want to pay him, say, in the top 6 instead of the top 2-3. That money is huge, and again could be 10 million dollars. I think both Parker and the Bills know he will likely get an enormous contract from the Bills in the future. They are starting it now to see how much that really will be. Parker is using one of the only bullets he has, and is playing it hard already, setting a precedent.

Again, I am not saying this is the right way to do it. It hurts the team. It hurts the player's image in the city. But ultimately, it's not unlike negative ads in political campaigns, they are ugly and lowbrow and lessen your image but they often work. Parker's only issue in this is to get his client the most money he can. And he's good at it. And it will probably work. IMO, the contract that Jason Peters signs with the Bills somewhere in the future will be a little higher than what it would be if Peters just simply came to camp this year like a happy camper.

I don't like it but it's the way things are when you're one of the top few players in the league at your position and you have one of the top agents trying to get 50-100 million out of teams that don't want to pay nearly as much as you want. To even compare this case to almost any other case is a total waste of time.

My sources says Peters in going to retire and start a career in pro wrestling as a tune up for MMA and then to Boxing where he's going to beat the crap out Mike Tyson for a couple million- this is just a time killer until Wilson passes and the Bills find themselves under new management.

IMO, the contract that Jason Peters signs with the Bills somewhere in the future will be a little higher than what it would be if Peters just simply came to camp this year like a happy camper.

I understand your position, and might agree with you if Peters was an established player at his position. The problem is he's not -- AND he's coming off an injury. This was the worst year for him to pull this b.s. because he hasn't "earned" the right to demand that money yet. With another year playing at an All-Pro level, he gains the leverage you suggest.

We just have a slight disagreement on the way we view Parker's strategy; you believe he's setting something up for the future, and I believe he has miscalculated. But I see where you're coming from.

Reading the article in the Buffalo News today, is it possible that Peters just wants to retire and not play anymore? Maybe this is why he is so silent, he's mulling over retiring and doesn't want to speak out prematurely. He has made no indication that he wants to continue playing. His absolute silence is very strange for a hold-out. Or, maybe this is a Dimitrius Underwood type of situation and/or he just wants to become a reverend.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/405179.html

Reading the article in the Buffalo News today, is it possible that Peters just wants to retire and not play anymore? Maybe this is why he is so silent, he's mulling over retiring and doesn't want to speak out prematurely. He has made no indication that he wants to continue playing. His absolute silence is very strange for a hold-out. Or, maybe this is a Dimitrius Underwood type of situation and/or he just wants to become a reverend.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/405179.html

Left guard Derrick Dockery is one of the few players who has communicated with Peters since training camp began. Dockery said they exchanged a couple of text messages, but Peters gave no indication if he’ll report any time soon.

“He just told me to keep the guys going and he can’t wait to get back out with us,” Dockery said.

That's my take on this whole mess. His agent probably called back around Feb. requesting a new deal. The Bills responded with a helping of.. he's under contract, we have other priorities now, we'll talk after the 2008 season. They hung up and haven't really spoken since.

I still say the best way to handle this for Peters would be to state openly that he wants a new deal. Let the club know, let the press know. Show up and have your agent begin talks - knowing full well nothing will get done till Feb 09. But, still begin the talks and play another stellar season. After proving for 2 straight years you're the best tackle in football, the Bills would almost certainly put him in that $8mill/yr range.

As eball has suggested, this is just really bad timing on Peters/Parkers part. The Bills needed to pay money for Stroud, they needed to re-sign Evans, they re-signed several of the roll players; Peters was coming off injury, he's only had one solid year at LT. IMO, they just picked the wrong time to draw their line in the sand.

The deal he does or doesn't get next year depends on 2 things: (1) how well does he play when he comes back? and (2) how is his attitude when he comes back? He's certainly burned alot of good will with the franchise. But, if he comes back and shuts down the opposing DEs all season and has a great attitude (i.e. the holdout was all my agents idea, but I love the Bills) I think all is washed away.

The bigger question is if the Bills don't blink - which I don't think they will because as another poster pointed out it's not in Ralph's history to give in to player demands - will Peters be humble enough to return in enough time to get into playing shape and learn the new offense? If he's dumb enough to sit out all season or all preseason, well... screw him.

I firmly attest, however, that the Bills should not cave and pay him now. As much as I want Peters on the team and realize how good he is and deserves the money, we have too many players that are about to be (or potentially about to be) in his exact same position. If you show them that you'll pay whoever holds out, then we're likely to have 2 or 3 holdouts a year. And that.. would kill the Bills in the long term.

Left guard Derrick Dockery is one of the few players who has communicated with Peters since training camp began. Dockery said they exchanged a couple of text messages, but Peters gave no indication if he’ll report any time soon.

“He just told me to keep the guys going and he can’t wait to get back out with us,” Dockery said.

I felt a lot better when I read that article.