First Starbucks and now Bennigans

/dev/null

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can get sued. Serving undercooked ground beef, despite what the customer wants, is a health risk. People get very ill and can die from E Coli among other bugs.

http://www.cfah.org/hbns/newsrelease/undercooked7-14-00.cfm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8172492

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3...so_hard_to.html

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00039761.htm

plus 10,000 other articles... Seriously, did any of you guys stay awake in biology? :D

Steak tartar is a wonderful dish. But then again what do I know about the safety of eating raw/undercooked beef.

Steak tartar is a wonderful dish. But then again what do I know about the safety of eating raw/undercooked beef.

Well, that is a good question. You haven't actually told us anything other than raw meat tastes good to you. Perhaps you could explain how the bacteria on the meat disappears after it gets ground into the middle of the burger? Where does the E Coli go when the "Chef", who doesn't believe in silly notions like bacteria, doesn't wash his hands after taking a dump and prepares your food?

I suppose you could just declare it safe because, errr, you like how it tastes. :D

Most people are ignorant on the subject. Just like most hockey players are ignorant about MRSA (say like Jay McKee...). Most hockey players never get it. Then a few wake up in the middle of the night and need IV antibotics because they didn't wash their stink drenched equipment. Some risk losing limbs after contracting it. Ask any hockey player if they know someone who caught it. They would probably say no one. But ask Jay McKee if it serious or not...

I assume you are not ignorant on the subject, but just choose to take your chances. That is certainly your choice, but please don't tell anyone here that eating undercooked hamburger is safe, because that's just not true.

Well, that is a good question. You haven't actually told us anything other than raw meat tastes good to you. Perhaps you could explain how the bacteria on the meat disappears after it gets ground into the middle of the burger? Where does the E Coli go when the "Chef", who doesn't believe in silly notions like bacteria, doesn't wash his hands after taking a dump and prepares your food?

I suppose you could just declare it safe because, errr, you like how it tastes. :D

Most people are ignorant on the subject. Just like most hockey players are ignorant about MRSA (say like Jay McKee...). Most hockey players never get it. Then a few wake up in the middle of the night and need IV antibotics because they didn't wash their stink drenched equipment. Some risk losing limbs after contracting it. Ask any hockey player if they know someone who caught it. They would probably say no one. But ask Jay McKee if it serious or not...

I assume you are not ignorant on the subject, but just choose to take your chances. That is certainly your choice, but please don't tell anyone here that eating undercooked hamburger is safe, because that's just not true.

When I was a cook at Longhorn, if anyone ordered red-meat well-done I used to throw it on the ground before I put it on the plate. I figured that if they were used to having semen in their stomachs on a regular occasion, how bad could a little bleach and rat turds be?

When I was a cook at Longhorn, if anyone ordered red-meat well-done I used to throw it on the ground before I put it on the plate. I figured that if they were used to having semen in their stomachs on a regular occasion, how bad could a little bleach and rat turds be?

:D

I suppose one has to know who the supplier is... No? We had this debate about raw cheese (which I am not totally against)... But, as the system of delivery gets bigger, who will makes sure the public health is best served?. Stuff like E-coli, TB (bovine), etc... Begin to creep into or back into our society...

Had this talk with my sister in VT... She gets milk raw, right from a local farmer... Too her, drinking that makes what she claims as having "lactose intolerance" easier to deal with.

I agree with you on this, yet I also disagree (If I am reading some of your argument correctly)... I think there are A LOT of variables.

Just to be clear, my argument is about ground beef, not steak...

I had difficulty staying awake in class prior to my lasik surgery. Difficulty focusing on the chalkboard don't you know.

Huh? Sorry, wasn't paying attention. That ADD and all you know

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, that cool new Youtube® video. btw, anybody seen my iPod or wireless XBox controller? So when does American Idol start? Anybody seen my iPod?

Two points:

1) People get sick from two aspects of the ground meat process. First of all, the meat that comes in is tainted. It all is. The USDA does not have in place regulations stringent enough to catch all of the tainted meat coming into the plants. Meat is processed according to specs at the plants, and the plants themselves are clean. It's not the process, it's not the meat companies, its the supply. The other reason why people get sick is because meat is not cooked long enough. If you want a medium rare burger, do so at your own house. Don't expect any restaurant to honor a medium rare request. They are cooking the burgers to medium/medium well to protect themselves. Ground beef must reach an internal temperature of 160F. Use the logic of the airlines... You don't get upset when they require you to wear a seatbelt, so don't get upset when you go to someone else's kitchen and request food that they are uncomfortable serving. The moral of the story: blame the cows or your drunk BBQing uncle for your e coli infection, don't blame the frozen beef pattie companies.

2) Say a prayer tonight for Leopold "Butters" Stotch. He must be in utter sorrow that his favorite restaurant is closing shop.

I rarely eat hamburgers out, unless it's Wendy's or at the golf course grill.

My dad told me of the joys of eating what he called "cannibal sandwiches" when he was younger. Yes, that's a raw hamburger on a bun, with salt, peper, and onion. Of course, he was in his twenties and my guess is that there was a lot of single malt involved. :D

For the record, Dad stopped drinking at age 26, since his dad "could always find the bottom of a whiskey bottle" (his words) and he didn't want to wind up the same way. Dad is 72 now.

Whatever happened to the Ground Round? Are there any of those joints still open?

Back in the early 80s, I use to go to the one on Ridge Road West in Greece...peanut shells on the floor, potato skins a-plenty, and two Pac Man machines.

Whatever happened to the Ground Round? Are there any of those joints still open?

Back in the early 80s, I use to go to the one on Ridge Road West in Greece...peanut shells on the floor, potato skins a-plenty, and two Pac Man machines.

Here's ya go! :rolleyes:

http://www.groundround.com/home/

For nostalgia purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkCCiOqwZBg

Then I guess you have no idea what steak tartar is. :rolleyes:

One would hope that it's a ground piece of steak with nothing else mixed in, not parts-is-parts "beef" ...