Bills not sure if LT Peters will report to camp

It's amazing how many people want to just open up the wallet and cave in to childish behavior because they think the Bills are just not willing to give Peters what he wants.

It seems the Bills have no idea what Peters wants because his agent has been busy closing the Hardy deal, which is now done. Maybe now Peters agent will finally tell the Bills what Peters wants, but until then, I can't possibly imagine how many people are faulting the team for this crap.

Peters agent Eugene Parker also represents Bills second-round pick James Hardy, and even though conversations on a contract for the wide receiver have been constant over the past week Brandon says talk about Peters has been minimal.

"Very briefly with Eugene," said Brandon. "Everything has been really focused on James. It's been a very quiet situation and that's as honest as I can be about it."

Hey Brandon! What? You can't read minds?

What a bunch of maroons some of you guys are.

It's amazing how many people want to just open up the wallet and cave in to childish behavior because they think the Bills are just not willing to give Peters what he wants.

It seems the Bills have no idea what Peters wants because his agent has been busy closing the Hardy deal, which is now done. Maybe now Peters agent will finally tell the Bills what Peters wants, but until then, I can't possibly imagine how many people are faulting the team for this crap.

Hey Brandon! What? You can't read minds?

What a bunch of maroons some of you guys are.

To be fair, Eugene Parker could have easily laid down 10 articles in the national media saying that Jason Peters is one of the best if not the best young LT in the league and said, "We expect to be compensated fairly as one of the top 3 LTs in the league". And Brandon could have said, "Then we have nothing to talk about now."

To be fair, Eugene Parker could have easily laid down 10 articles in the national media saying that Jason Peters is one of the best if not the best young LT in the league and said, "We expect to be compensated fairly as one of the top 3 LTs in the league". And Brandon could have said, "Then we have nothing to talk about now."

And Brandon probably laid down 20 articles from the national media saying the Patriots* were a lock to win the Super Bowl last year.

It's all stupid. Like you said...no way he sits out the season. None.

Look, even Hardy, Peters' agent's OTHER guy, alluded quite clearly to what exactly got HIM to camp on time. The desire to be with his TEAMMATES. So, I'm betting this isn't the agent's doing at all. My uneducated opinion? Peters has had a chip on his shoulder the minute the Bills shelled out ungodly money for Walker and the others, and that chip has only gotten bigger over the summer. Mandatory minicamp, OTAs, and now this. This ain't his agent. It ain't Brandon having "lost Peters' phone number" as obie here wants us to believe. This is all Peters' bull sh--. Too bad. We almost had a really good thing going right from the start of camp. So much potential for that line, and there is no WAY the Bills don't have a contract ready that Peters will be happy with. All they wanted was some class to start the ball rolling.

IMO Whether or not Peters is the best player on the team is up for debate. Don't get me wrong, he can single handedly bring the offense to a higher level -- but I think the litmus test to which everyone is holding the reserves - Chambers, Walker, et al - is the Giants game when they were up against THE BEST PASS RUSHING DEFENSE LINE IN THE NFL. Remember when they made Brady look like a mash potato scarecrow? Perhaps Peters' presence wouldn't be quite as missed against some of the cakewalk 2008 opponents.

Further, Peters sustained an injury that required surgery. On his groin. To me that sounds like a lot of cutting and sawing around at some very tender ligaments and muscle, which means he's probably had a pretty rocky road to recovery -- one that's been in secret, evidently.

Are we even certain he's 100%?

Do we know if he can even PLAY football anymore?

I'm interested to see how this pans out. It's now 12:09 ET 7-25-08

OK, but hopefully the agent and the Bills don't use anything the media says as a basis for the worth of a player.

And that, for me, is the slippery slope here. Is Peters invaluable to the team? Yes. As a Probowl LT, should he get a nice big raise? Yes. However.... he just signed a new contract and has 3 years left on it. He's had one good year as a LT. Now, he wants yet another contract?

The problem here is if the Bills renegotiate, they run a big risk of every young player on the team (which there happens to be alot of) screaming for a new contract if they have a good year. What if Whitner, Poz, Lynch and Trent all have great years and become alternates to the Probowl? Do they all deserve big pay raises and new contracts as well? What if Greer really steps it up and shuts down Randy Moss in 2 games? Does he get a new contract? What if Peters gets a new contract and then has 2 more solid, probowl years and he's the unquestioned best LT in the game? Does he get yet another newer, bigger contract?

We all know NFL contracts are rewritten every year, but few are renegotiated so quickly. So, to me, it seems Peters is pushing the hard line a year too soon. Another Probowl type year, then with just 2 years remaining and there's no doubt his contract is reworked, ala Schobel and Kelsay.

In other words, I'm squarely in the camp of Peters is at fault for seemingly thinking only of himself and not of the team. And if that's his attitude, then maybe we haven't found the great LT we all thought we had.

Most of the guys (and girls) here on this board would make HORRIBLE negotiators. You guys would give up the farm at the first sign of trouble.

He who blinks first loses. He who names price first loses.

They're playing the silent game, and the first one who opens their mouth loses...except now Peters will start losing money that training camp is about to start.

He is under contract and required to be at camp. If he does not show I'm sure they will contact him to let him know he will be fined $15,000.00 per day missed. If he is unhappy about his contract his agent should tell the Bills. If there has been no contact, how are the Bills to know he is unhappy?

Most of the guys (and girls) here on this board would make HORRIBLE negotiators. You guys would give up the farm at the first sign of trouble.

He who blinks first loses. He who names price first loses.

They're playing the silent game, and the first one who opens their mouth loses...except now Peters will start losing money that training camp is about to start.

He who reports to camp fat an out of shape and misses the pro bowl and gets the label " not a team player" also looses.

He who reports to camp fat an out of shape and misses the pro bowl and gets the label " not a team player" also looses.

And that's the reason why I don't think Peters will sit out for any significant period of time. Maybe he'll miss a bit of camp, but if he comes in and isn't ready to play (i.e., out of shape), how do you think all of those teammates singing his praises will feel then? They expect him to get his business taken care of and be a good teammate. If Peters doesn't respect that, he's really an idiot.

My coffee shot out my nose when I read your post. Who exactly is jerking who around??? Are you watching the same TV show as the rest of us?? Here's a recap for you: The Bills "jerked" Peters around by giving an UDFA a chance. Then the "jerked" him some more by giving him a fat extension on potential. Peters has three years left on that deal. Peters and his agent are the a**holes here, not Brandon or the Bills. They haven't even made any contact with the Bills. And if Peters is willing to shaft his teammates by not reporting to camp and honoring his deal, then is he the kind of guy we want here?

PTR

When the Bills gave him an extention, they did so because he was playing very well at RT, and they could tie him up for a small amount of money due to the fact that he was a udfa.

If he was playing poorly, he would be cut in a heartbeat because contracts are not guaranteed, and owners want it this way. Now, he is a probowl LT and the best player on the team. There is a price to be paid for this, and the Bills need to cough up the cash. As a matter of fact, this is probably a chance to sign him and still pay him slightly less than he would get in the open market.

Ralph, between tickets sales and Toronto, is sitting on a ton of cash, let alone cap space. Mind telling me what he is saving it for? Must we remain a losing team? :blink:

They need to get this done, and in a hurry. Signing Peters should be the number 1 priority. If they are both healthy, who do you think will have more of an impact, McKelvin or Jason Peters?

When the Bills gave him an extention, they did so because he was playing very well at RT, and they could tie him up for a small amount of money due to the fact that he was a udfa.

If he was playing poorly, he would be cut in a heartbeat because contracts are not guaranteed, and owners want it this way. Now, he is a probowl LT and the best player on the team. There is a price to be paid for this, and the Bills need to cough up the cash. As a matter of fact, this is probably a chance to sign him and still pay him slightly less than he would get in the open market.

Ralph, between tickets sales and Toronto, is sitting on a ton of cash, let alone cap space. Mind telling me what he is saving it for? Must we remain a losing team? :blink:

They need to get this done, and in a hurry. Signing Peters should be the number 1 priority. If they are both healthy, who do you think will have more of an impact, McKelvin or Jason Peters?

Brandon said he would be willing to work out a new deal, but he said to do that he needs to speak with Peters. It seems to me the barbs being thrown at Ralph Wilson are not fair in this situation. It takes two to negotiate. In the meantime, Peters should be at camp.

On the complete flip-side, at least we don't need to worry about our star left tackle blowing out a wheel on the first day of camp.

Brandon said he would be willing to work out a new deal, but he said to do that he needs to speak with Peters. It seems to me the barbs being thrown at Ralph Wilson are not fair in this situation. It takes two to negotiate. In the meantime, Peters should be at camp.

On the complete flip-side, at least we don't need to worry about our star left tackle blowing out a wheel on the first day of camp.

he already has a blown out groin from last year :blink: