To all the thieves out there

John Adams

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know. Laugh it up. You don't care. Steal on kiddies.

:blink: Good find. That is pretty funny, but the record industry is crazy to do what they do. If they were to say focus on getting more from the concerts, and worry less about the some 12 year old girl downloading the Pussycat Dolls, they would probably be looked at in a more favorable light than they are at this point.

:blink: Hilarious.

It just goes to show that a lot of people will steal things when they feel the price is out of whack for the product. For a long time people got tired of paying $20 for a CD that contained 1-2 good songs. The backlash brought about the Napsters of the world. Music and Video are such unique commodities because they can be obtained electronically. If people could steal clothes on the internet, they would.

I will always believe though that if a reasonable compensation scheme for online songs had been introduced before free/illegal services were created, then illegal downloading would be a lot less rampant now. People went from having to way overpay for music to being able to get it for free. If 10 years ago people were given the option to buy songs for 50 cents or a buck or whatever, I'm sure they would have jumped at it. Free just became so casual that even when a "fairer" plan was put into place, it was too late for a lot of people. Just my two cents...

And not to divert, but Kid Rock is also one of the last few artists to refuse to put his songs on iTunes (I think the Beatles are as well).

I know, I know. Laugh it up. You don't care. Steal on kiddies.

While I don't download music (who needs to download music with Sirius streaming in decent quality?), I have no sympathy for the artists who are continuing to be part of the problem (aka anyone who works with the RIAA).

Everything is out of whack these days. Gas, politics, war-if i can save myself some money by downloading a few "free" songs I will. And no I do not feel bad about it. I think the multimillionaire artist can still feed their needy families.

Still surprised that Apple sells millions of ipods that can hold 10,000 songs and each song is $1. Now, I know a small percentage of people use CDs, but even of those, you would need 667 CDs to fill that at 15 songs/CD.

Apple is well aware most people never put one CD on their iPods. They download everything. They expect people to put $10,000 into filling these things up? I know, Apple can't control what people do, but its like a car manufacturer that makes a car that goes 200MPH but says they don't expect anyone to speed.

That being said, I still think Apple would have even higher profits from iTunes if they lowered the price to $.10 per song. I'm certain (with absolutely no data to back this) that they would sell far more than 10x the amount of songs by selling them for 1/10th the price. And would the artist really care if 12 copies of their song were out there rather than 1 if they got 1.2 times the amount of the cut they're getting now with 1 person buying it and 11 stealing it from limewire?

Still surprised that Apple sells millions of ipods that can hold 10,000 songs and each song is $1. Now, I know a small percentage of people use CDs, but even of those, you would need 667 CDs to fill that at 15 songs/CD.

Apple is well aware most people never put one CD on their iPods. They download everything. They expect people to put $10,000 into filling these things up? I know, Apple can't control what people do, but its like a car manufacturer that makes a car that goes 200MPH but says they don't expect anyone to speed.

That being said, I still think Apple would have even higher profits from iTunes if they lowered the price to $.10 per song. I'm certain (with absolutely no data to back this) that they would sell far more than 10x the amount of songs by selling them for 1/10th the price. And would the artist really care if 12 copies of their song were out there rather than 1 if they got 1.2 times the amount of the cut they're getting now with 1 person buying it and 11 stealing it from limewire?

Most iPods do video nowadays - which requires lots more space than what 10,000 songs needs.

Also, I don't think Apple can just say "lets price it at $.10", due to agreements with the labels. Its priced at .99 because Apple only takes a portion, and the record labels take the rest. In addition, the artists make almost nothing from people buying the songs through iTunes.

Other than the handful of the talentless hacks beholden to the major corporate pigs who force radio stations to play their music, I don't see any serious artists bitching and moaning about it. They don't make money off the music. They make money off the merch and touring. The only people who stand to lose any money are the people who aren't actually making the music to begin with. The major music companies would love for you to think you're ripping off your favorite artists. Then people will ignore that its the major record companies that are the ones ripping off the artists. They just don't want your competition.

I love the argument that if the major companies ceased to exist all the artists would suffer and we'd have nothing to buy. The idea is laughable. The ones that would suffer would be the parasites living off someone else's art and the fabricated artists manufactured by the record companies to sell a style. The people actually making the music would be just fine.

Wouldn't it be nice to listen to the radio again? Wouldn't it be nice to hear genre-breaking stuff by people who aren't just pandering to some music exec who pays off radio stations to force garbage into your eardrums? It's the record companies that have limited the choices you have because it helps them maximize their returns by limiting the money they would have to use to discover talent. Instead they're telling YOU what the talent is. That's bull sh--, man. They've made the choice to limit your choice. You can make the choice to get the music you want to hear by leaving them out of the equation. Steal the music. Go to the shows.

Other than the handful of the talentless hacks beholden to the major corporate pigs who force radio stations to play their music, I don't see any serious artists bitching and moaning about it. They don't make money off the music. They make money off the merch and touring. The only people who stand to lose any money are the people who aren't actually making the music to begin with. The major music companies would love for you to think you're ripping off your favorite artists. Then people will ignore that its the major record companies that are the ones ripping off the artists. They just don't want your competition.

I love the argument that if the major companies ceased to exist all the artists would suffer and we'd have nothing to buy. The idea is laughable. The ones that would suffer would be the parasites living off someone else's art and the fabricated artists manufactured by the record companies to sell a style. The people actually making the music would be just fine.

Wouldn't it be nice to listen to the radio again? Wouldn't it be nice to hear genre-breaking stuff by people who aren't just pandering to some music exec who pays off radio stations to force garbage into your eardrums? It's the record companies that have limited the choices you have because it helps them maximize their returns by limiting the money they would have to use to discover talent. Instead they're telling YOU what the talent is. That's bull sh--, man. They've made the choice to limit your choice. You can make the choice to get the music you want to hear by leaving them out of the equation. Steal the music. Go to the shows.

From the artists perspective (that is, music as art, instead of product), the music business is in as good a shape as it ever was.

Slow down there Marxie. The record companies only channel what the masses want to hear. Otherwise American Idol wouldn't get the viewers, no matter what you may think of the music.

Plus there's nothing stopping egalitarian musicians & artists from practicing their craft as long as they're ok with playing in front of 100 people on a street corner. But if they want their craft to be seen by tens of thousands, in well lit auditoriums and with a cast of thousands moving their gear and girls backstage handing out white stuff, then they need to make the deal with your devil.

Can't have it all.

Slow down there Marxie. The record companies only channel what the masses want to hear. Otherwise American Idol wouldn't get the viewers, no matter what you may think of the music.

Plus there's nothing stopping egalitarian musicians & artists from practicing their craft as long as they're ok with playing in front of 100 people on a street corner. But if they want their craft to be seen by tens of thousands, in well lit auditoriums and with a cast of thousands moving their gear and girls backstage handing out white stuff, then they need to make the deal with your devil.

Can't have it all.

In my mind that's where the best music comes from.

No they don't. They've limited the exposure to only a few select styles, abandoning variety for mass-produced garbage that they pay the radio stations to play. If people can only choose between a few pre-selected styles then that's what they'll do because they don't have any other choice. Idol isn't a good example because they've already triaged out the variety for a few contestants that fit a pre-conceived mold. People aren't voting for Idol contestants based on talent. It's got nothing to do with music at all, and anyone who watches can see that.

Can't have it all.

Plenty do. In clubs and touring in vans all over America and Europe. And they make a significant amount of their cash via merchandise. Unfortunately, the larger venues are often booked by people who have larger corporate or booking ties. Larger promoters book the larger venues, and the larger promoters are often closely tied with the music companies and the radio stations.

Kid Rock puts out a new CD. Corporate scumbag tells (and pays) radio station douchebag to put Kid Rock "hit" on heavy rotation, and then tells Don Law to book him at Great Woods. Great Woods books Kid Rock because Don Law would promote acts elsewhere if they don't, and they need to sell tickets. Free tickets are given away to create a buzz. People who don't know any better go to the show because Kid Rock has a "hit" on heavy rotation and as far as they know he's the only one playing a live show in town. Downtown, dozens of bands with actual talent play in front of people who have a clue, sell some 45s and some T-shirts, and move on to the next city, just happy to knock back a few beers with people who aren't corporate whores trying to steal and make money off their intellectual property (a huge distinction from some kids wanting to share a great song with their friends).

Very few bands crack into this industry circle-jerk. And getting into it has very little to do with talent. Exhibit A, commercial radio.

Plenty of bands deserve to be playing in big venues, but we'll never know (or ever hear them unless you're hitting the small venues) if they could because the record companies and corporate radio have decided to ignore potential for manufactured.