To all the thieves out there

John Adams

Relax man--I'm not accusing you of it. A few have admitted to stealing music and those people are in this thread so though you're enjoying showing off your new knowledge of the concept of "straw man," it's use here is inappropriate.

:thumbsup:

Probably shouldn't reply to my post with "Right. They are dicks so DrD gets to steal. Even my My 1st grader recognizes that as a flawed argument," when I didn't argue that (the classic definition of a straw man argument). Might want to look up what it is before you go slinging insults.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you're ignoring the initial part of these cases where people "share" vast amounts of copyrighted property against the law. Perhaps if Tracy Lee... errr the mother... instilled values in the kids that stealing or copying someone else's work without their permission is unethical and illegal, then the lawyers would have something else to do.

Apparently you are ignoring the part where I said "Unless she was knowingly allowing it to happen ..."

And you counter act with a "moral" clause?

Did you stop to consider how "moral' it is to prosecute somebody who had nothing to do with the crime?

It really bugs me when people invoke the little guy defense to absolve shady behavior by the little guy. Believe it or not, but the RIAA would like to have better things to do than have lawyers chasing little guys.

I am not absolving anybody from anything. I have no problem with the RIAA prosecuting those people that ACTUALLY COMMIT THE CRIME.

I do have a problem with the RIAA prosecuting people simply because they feel they can suck the money out of them.

And if you think the RIAA have better things to do besides chase the little guy ...

Bull :thumbsup:

When the RIAA is starting to consider ANY MUSIC copied to your computer is illegal even when that music came from your OWN LEGALLY purchased CD ...

Linky

And if you think the RIAA have better things to do besides chase the little guy ...

Bull :thumbsup:

When the RIAA is starting to consider ANY MUSIC copied to your computer is illegal even when that music came from your OWN LEGALLY purchased CD ...

Linky

Exactly. At $3k a lawsuit, and almost every pays up because it'll cost far more to fight it even if you're innocent, it's been reported multiple times that the RIAA is making a fortune on this.

In addition, the way they go about doing the lawsuits is lame -- the judges literally just rubber stamp all of the requests without reading them.

Money, err, justice at work.

I love all the theft justifications in this thread. Great stuff from the slime.

When you posted that, of the 10 previous replies, only one of them was justifying downloading free music. It seems like you started this topic hoping that a bunch of people were going to flock here and say how downloading free music is great and moral. Maybe one or two people have done something like that, but not many people are disagreeing with the premise that downloading music without paying for it is cheating somebody and is rightfully illegal.

You are ranting (mainly) to the choir...

When you posted that, of the 10 previous replies, only one of them was justifying downloading free music. It seems like you started this topic hoping that a bunch of people were going to flock here and say how downloading free music is great and moral. Maybe one or two people have done something like that, but not many people are disagreeing with the premise that downloading music without paying for it is cheating somebody and is rightfully illegal.

You are ranting (mainly) to the choir...

This topic predates this thread. Note I dedicated it to DrD, who is not even in this thread, but who's posted about music piracy in the past. So actually, I'm not ranting to the choir.

This topic predates this thread. Note I dedicated it to DrD, who is not even in this thread, but who's posted about music piracy in the past. So actually, I'm not ranting to the choir.

Well, yeah...obviously the topic predates the thread. It just seemed strange that you would start a new thread about it and then rail on people who weren't really arguing against you. Who was all the "slime" in those first 10 posts?

I got no beef...just commenting... :thumbsup: