Bills re-sign Kyle Williams

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone seems to forget about crowell, but he's a very important (and under-rated) piece who is coming up for FA after this season.......he deserves to get paid and should be taken care of........evans as well, but peters can rot at home during training camp for all i care........he'll be there for game 1 - it's not like he has a choice

I'm not forgetting Crowell. He's a good LB and i've love to keep him around. However, finding his replacement would be much easier than finding one for Evans and/or Peters.

I have a Hunch we're not going to keep Crowell and that we'll be drafting a LB in one of the first 2 rounds next year.

I was thinking that exact same thing......

I want crowell here....but we have drafted Poz....signed Kavika......it makes sense financially when you are trying to get these other important guys signed.

I have a Hunch we're not going to keep Crowell and that we'll be drafting a LB in one of the first 2 rounds next year.

why would you create a hole? why not just resign him and use that very valuable pick to fill an actual current need on the club (i.e. TE)?

he's a quality player, he fits the defense well - to let him go now is foolish........the bills have been creating holes for years by letting good talent walk only to then use valuable resources to fill those needs.......that is how you tread water......keep the talent around and add to it

It is true. It reminds me of the days when we signed guys like Sam Rogers and Jerry Ostroski to long term deals.

Sam Rogers was a real good player, just not as good as the money that was thrown at him. KMitchell actually reminds me a little of him and imo that's a good thing.

That would be exceedingly foolish, but not divergent from the Bills recent habit of unnecessarily creating holes for themselves.

I like it a lot. Philly has been doing this kind of thing for years. Target young players who are progressing, and lock them in a couple years before they would hit free agency (when their (presumed) increased production and experience plus a higher salary cap plus market demand will make them way more expensive). It's hard for a young player to turn down immediate money and wait for two more years, even if he thinks he might be worth considerably more down the road.

You save a ton of money this way and preserve team continuity. Of course, you have to be right on (most of) the players whom you target. Philly is. We haven't proven we can do that yet, but let's see. Imagine if we had done this with a player like Nate Clements. Even if you're wrong now and then, you're not breaking the bank. It's a lot better financially than being wrong in free agency.

I agree that this kind of financial management and trust in your own evaluation abilities actually provides more room to sign people like Peters and Evans. In fact they locked Peters up in just this way, and now have leverage. (Don't get me wrong, when a young player - especially at QB or LT - explodes into an all-pro, you just need to suck it up and pay him. I think they should offer Peters the moon, but it's still nice knowing he can't walk away.)

Worse case scenario, we resigned an average player who gives it his all every time he's on the field. Something tells me that if Stroud is even close to the player he was three years ago this signing is going to look a lot better than it does right now.

I like it a lot. Philly has been doing this kind of thing for years. Target young players who are progressing, and lock them in a couple years before they would hit free agency (when their (presumed) increased production and experience plus a higher salary cap plus market demand will make them way more expensive). It's hard for a young player to turn down immediate money and wait for two more years, even if he thinks he might be worth considerably more down the road.

You save a ton of money this way and preserve team continuity. Of course, you have to be right on (most of) the players whom you target. Philly is. We haven't proven we can do that yet, but let's see. Imagine if we had done this with a player like Nate Clements. Even if you're wrong now and then, you're not breaking the bank. It's a lot better financially than being wrong in free agency.

I agree that this kind of financial management and trust in your own evaluation abilities actually provides more room to sign people like Peters and Evans. In fact they locked Peters up in just this way, and now have leverage. (Don't get me wrong, when a young player - especially at QB or LT - explodes into an all-pro, you just need to suck it up and pay him. I think they should offer Peters the moon, but it's still nice knowing he can't walk away.)

I agree, keep guys as far away from becoming UFA's as possible.

I see your point in general, but not at all wrt pro bowl left tackles.

Our pro bowl OLT is signed for three more years, which he will still be signed for if he sat out.

We can franchise Evans.

It's not like they focus on one player at a time, literally...They're doing re-signings, rookies and trying to get key guys...I don't mind it one bit.

This is as cliche as it gets, but Williams is a big time "football player" and a great guy to lock up long term. He's also the kind of guy who will take more money as a sign he needs to work even harder -- and that would be difficult for this cat, because he works as hard as anybody already.

This is as cliche as it gets, but Williams is a big time "football player" and a great guy to lock up long term. He's also the kind of guy who will take more money as a sign he needs to work even harder -- and that would be difficult for this cat, because he works as hard as anybody already.

Agreed 100%.

why would you create a hole? why not just resign him and use that very valuable pick to fill an actual current need on the club (i.e. TE)?

he's a quality player, he fits the defense well - to let him go now is foolish........the bills have been creating holes for years by letting good talent walk only to then use valuable resources to fill those needs.......that is how you tread water......keep the talent around and add to it

sounds like the "Treadmill to Nowhere"

voluntarily gut the team of talent and then cry the blues about not having enough resources to build the core of the team, like the OL.

sounds like the "Treadmill to Nowhere"

voluntarily gut the team of talent and then cry the blues about not having enough resources to build the core of the team, like the OL.

I disagree. I think this is exactly the type of player you want to lock up to keep you from getting on that treadmill to nowhere. TD and that regime made a habit of selecting and overpaying for guys and then not filling in the gaps that make the team go. Williams is a solid DT who is an excellent rotational player. With Stroud, Johnson and a fast improving McCargo, this solidified an important part of the our future on D. Evans needs to show during the season that he is deserving of the kind of money that he is demanding. I expect us to sign him after he has shown that he puts up better numbers than what you would expect from a solid number two. As for Peters, yeah, he's probably one of the top-3 LTs in the league right now. The problem is, he has only been such for one season. There have been a lot of one hit wonders in this league at all kinds of positions. He just got a solid pay raise. People say that Dockery is getting paid more at guard and our best player is only getting the third highest pay check. Well, Dockery is a proven veteran who showed his value last year. Peters is still raw and young. I want to see more out of him this season before I say he is deserving of the massive contract that he is likely to demand. He's got three years on his deal. Either way, he isn't going anywhere. Plus, money talks, and there is no way he misses games and gets his salary docked. He'll be in camp and on the field, and if he proves he is actually worth the money as the season goes along, he'll get it. The Bills have been smart about not overpaying for quality and are well under the cap. If these two players show they are actually worth the big money, the team will give it to them.

Well, Dockery is a proven veteran who showed his value last year. Peters is still raw and young.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Dockery is a good Guard who showed that he was good last year for 48 million dollars. Was he hampered by the play calling? The blocking schemes? Having JP and a rookie qb? Two rookie RBs? Yes, yes, yes and yes.

That said, Peters played under the same liabilities/limitations and was a PRO BOWL LEFT TACKLE! Sorry to shout, but OMG, the Bills have a pro bowl LT! Believe me, playing next to Peters was probably lots of fun for Dockery. It made his job that much easier.

Jason Peters is one of the best Bills players in many years, and he has room to improve yet more. It is possible (notice I said "possible" R.Rich) for him to be a stronger Walter Jones.

They need to extend his contract and cough up 20 million or so for a bonus, and they need to do it soon.

I disagree. I think this is exactly the type of player you want to lock up to keep you from getting on that treadmill to nowhere. TD and that regime made a habit of selecting and overpaying for guys and then not filling in the gaps that make the team go. Williams is a solid DT who is an excellent rotational player. With Stroud, Johnson and a fast improving McCargo, this solidified an important part of the our future on D. Evans needs to show during the season that he is deserving of the kind of money that he is demanding. I expect us to sign him after he has shown that he puts up better numbers than what you would expect from a solid number two. As for Peters, yeah, he's probably one of the top-3 LTs in the league right now. The problem is, he has only been such for one season. There have been a lot of one hit wonders in this league at all kinds of positions. He just got a solid pay raise. People say that Dockery is getting paid more at guard and our best player is only getting the third highest pay check. Well, Dockery is a proven veteran who showed his value last year. Peters is still raw and young. I want to see more out of him this season before I say he is deserving of the massive contract that he is likely to demand. He's got three years on his deal. Either way, he isn't going anywhere. Plus, money talks, and there is no way he misses games and gets his salary docked. He'll be in camp and on the field, and if he proves he is actually worth the money as the season goes along, he'll get it. The Bills have been smart about not overpaying for quality and are well under the cap. If these two players show they are actually worth the big money, the team will give it to them.

not sure what you are disagreeing with.

My point was the Bills have failed to extend players or moved them needlessly, then were forced to overcommit resoiurces to replace them while ignoring otehr positions.

Moved Willis in his contract year - then were forced to take Lynch as the only option.

I'm not seeing the wisdom in giving Kyle Williams a new deal. He's precisely the type of player who can leave in FA and not be missed. To me, he's what Larry Tripplett was to the Colts just three years ago. A player who rotates in, not anything special, and certainly not worth this sort of money. He's not a starter, but with Buffalo's build over 4 years plan became one in 06 and 07.

IMO, he lacks the size to play the 1 and the quickness of the 3. He's a rotational player and nothing more.