Bills re-sign Kyle Williams

I'm not seeing the wisdom in giving Kyle Williams a new deal. He's precisely the type of player who can leave in FA and not be missed. To me, he's what Larry Tripplett was to the Colts just three years ago. A player who rotates in, not anything special, and certainly not worth this sort of money. He's not a starter, but with Buffalo's build over 4 years plan became one in 06 and 07.

IMO, he lacks the size to play the 1 and the quickness of the 3. He's a rotational player and nothing more.

ouch

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Dockery is a good Guard who showed that he was good last year for 48 million dollars. Was he hampered by the play calling? The blocking schemes? Having JP and a rookie qb? Two rookie RBs? Yes, yes, yes and yes.

That said, Peters played under the same liabilities/limitations and was a PRO BOWL LEFT TACKLE! Sorry to shout, but OMG, the Bills have a pro bowl LT! Believe me, playing next to Peters was probably lots of fun for Dockery. It made his job that much easier.

Jason Peters is one of the best Bills players in many years, and he has room to improve yet more. It is possible (notice I said "possible" R.Rich) for him to be a stronger Walter Jones.

They need to extend his contract and cough up 20 million or so for a bonus, and they need to do it soon.

bill, you are missing the forest for the trees on peters here.

he has 3 years left on his contract, we own his ass. he is going to play as hard as he can for us this year.

if we really love how he plays this season, and we address all of our other big FA's (evans really), then yeah we give him the bank and lock him up for 7 years. if he gets hurt or falters, then we still have him for 2 more years, and he'll be trying to show that he hasn't fallen off and the one bad year was just a fluke. we just don't need to resign him now bill, we could but we don't need to.

the guy you compare him too, the great walter jones, he was a camp missing malcontent (well, from a contract point of view) who was franchised what, 3 years in a row? he then signed a long term deal.

what the fo is gonna do is use up as much cash to cap as they can this year on quality guys (williams, and prolly evans) and with a fresh bundle next season sign peters (if he's awesome again, and yeah i think he will be) and crow or somebody (maybe an FA WR).

besides being an OL enthusiast do you have a real reason for the bills to extend peters today? don't say we can get him cheaper that way, his agent knows the game better than we do and will not let his star client get less than top dollar.

IMO, he lacks the size to play the 1 and the quickness of the 3. He's a rotational player and nothing more.

Newsflash -- all four Bills' D-linemen are "rotational players."

bill, you are missing the forest for the trees on peters here.

he has 3 years left on his contract, we own his ass. he is going to play as hard as he can for us this year.

if we really love how he plays this season, and we address all of our other big FA's (evans really), then yeah we give him the bank and lock him up for 7 years. if he gets hurt or falters, then we still have him for 2 more years, and he'll be trying to show that he hasn't fallen off and the one bad year was just a fluke. we just don't need to resign him now bill, we could but we don't need to.

the guy you compare him too, the great walter jones, he was a camp missing malcontent (well, from a contract point of view) who was franchised what, 3 years in a row? he then signed a long term deal.

what the fo is gonna do is use up as much cash to cap as they can this year on quality guys (williams, and prolly evans) and with a fresh bundle next season sign peters (if he's awesome again, and yeah i think he will be) and crow or somebody (maybe an FA WR).

besides being an OL enthusiast do you have a real reason for the bills to extend peters today? don't say we can get him cheaper that way, his agent knows the game better than we do and will not let his star client get less than top dollar.

If the Bills sign Peters for just a bit more than Dockery, that is already less than top dollar. Now, they have the leverage to do so.

In 2001, Jonathan Ogden signed a new 44 million dollar extension.

In 2004, , he signed another one making him the highest paid player in the game.

That was a long time ago, and keep in mind that in both instances, he was already under contract. Giving him Dockery money is a steal for the Bills, and not unusual in that Left Tackles make the big bucks.

I don't understand how some posters (not necessarily you) can jump up and down in glee wrt extending Kyle Williams and advocate pinching pennies with Peters. The truth is that one gets shoved around and the other is a pro bowl left tackle. Well, right now they earn about the same, and this is nuts.

I think that because we love this team so much, many have become excusers of idiocy. You have to pay QBs, LTs, and pass rushing DEs because it is soo hard to get these guys. For instance, if Trent makes the pro bowl, should he play for 500 grand next season because that is what his contract reads?

These guys are guaranteed nothing, and the NFL owners want it this way. If Peters goes down to injury, he could very easily wind up broke. It happens all the time.

The Bills should simply pay the man, and keep a pro bowl LT in town, and happy.

If the Bills sign Peters for just a bit more than Dockery, that is already less than top dollar. Now, they have the leverage to do so.

In 2004, , he signed another one making him the highest paid player in the game.

That was a long time ago, and keep in mind that in both instances, he was already under contract. Giving him Dockery money is a steal for the Bills, and not unusual in that Left Tackles make the big bucks.

I don't understand how some posters (not necessarily you) can jump up and down in glee wrt extending Kyle Williams and advocate pinching pennies with Peters. The truth is that one gets shoved around and the other is a pro bowl left tackle. Well, right now they earn about the same, and this is nuts.

I think that because we love this team so much, many have become excusers of idiocy. You have to pay QBs, LTs, and pass rushing DEs because it is soo hard to get these guys. For instance, if Trent makes the pro bowl, should he play for 500 grand next season because that is what his contract reads?

These guys are guaranteed nothing, and the NFL owners want it this way. If Peters goes down to injury, he could very easily wind up broke. It happens all the time.

ok bill, so you think there is no reason to consider his existing contract status at all? he's not coming cheap, not near dock money, not anything like that.

he's going to want 35+ up front and something like 70 for 7 years.

obviously he's a good player and important to our team, but we have the strength here, if we want we can have him for 5 more seasons using the existing contract and franchise tags. i think we should let him earn te big bucks this season.

bill, you seem to be opperating under the assumption that our options are throw a ton of money at him now, or watch him walk. he's not in his contract year so that's not the case.

Newsflash -- all four Bills' D-linemen are "rotational players."

So in your estimation, this means:

Stroud is getting 5M+ to be a rotational player after the Bills gave up a 3rd and 5th for him

Buffalo traded back into the first in 2006 (giving up a 2nd and 3rd) to draft McCargo to be a rotational player

Spencer Johnson was signed to a big contract to be a rotational player

Kyle Williams will make up to 4.8M per to be a rotational starter when his new deal kicks in.

Sure.

ok bill, so you think there is no reason to consider his existing contract status at all? he's not coming cheap, not near dock money, not anything like that.

he's going to want 35+ up front and something like 70 for 7 years.

obviously he's a good player and important to our team, but we have the strength here, if we want we can have him for 5 more seasons using the existing contract and franchise tags. i think we should let him earn te big bucks this season.

bill, you seem to be opperating under the assumption that our options are throw a ton of money at him now, or watch him walk. he's not in his contract year so that's not the case.

There is a middle ground where the Bills can up Peters salary and bonus for this year, pending validation of his Pro Bowl talent.

That posiiton should have been made clear to his agent months ago, so he would not have felt compelled to miss mini-camps and organized workouts to prove his point.

As you note, Peters will show up for week 1 games. But why run the risk that he will run the risk of injury in those early games becuase he is not fully trained and prepared due to holdouts and distractions?

The Bills just seem to do things backwards.

They overpay the rotational guys like Williams but create unneeded rifts with top talent like Evans and Peters.

obie wan,

i just disagree. i don't think peters is holding out from ota's because he is willing to accept some middle of the road thing. he's pushing hard to get the big big money, and he won't resign until he gets it. i say let him earn it this season, and then rip up 2 years on his contract. walter jones was a hold out for like 4 or 5 probowl years in seattle, at worst we can do that w peters. i think 3 years is too much to rip up after one good (albeit very good) season, especially since the 3 years left is from a recent re up.

Just wait until Peters learns how to play LT!

I'm sure that's what the Bills are waiting for, too (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

GO BILLS!!!