RIP - Charlie Jones dies

Charlie Jones was my favorite play-by-play guy ever. He may not have been the most insightful but he had the best voice, asked questions of the analyst like a fan would, and had a fabulous love for the game and genuine excitement when broadcasting it. RIP.

Mine would be Curt Gowdy - but I loved Jones because you could tell he loved football and telling the story.

Mine would be Curt Gowdy - but I loved Jones because you could tell he loved football and telling the story.

Gowdy, Al DiRogatis, Charlie Jones...now that was AFL football.

My favorite Charlie Jones line, after the Bills scored to make it 35-31 against the Oilers: "Ya gotta love it! Unless you're in Houston."

My favorite Charlie Jones line, after the Bills scored to make it 35-31 against the Oilers: "Ya gotta love it! Unless you're in Houston."

Nice post. Those were the days

Great memories!!

Charlie Jones was my favorite play-by-play guy ever. He may not have been the most insightful but he had the best voice, asked questions of the analyst like a fan would, and had a fabulous love for the game and genuine excitement when broadcasting it. RIP.

Mine too!!! I always remember him calling all the west coast Charger games when Dan Fouts and Company were lighting teams up...

My favorite Charlie Jones memory was during a game in the early 90's involving the Raiders and some other team with Todd Christensen also reporting. Something didn't go the Raiders way and Christensen was just blatantly pleading for a call in the Raiders favor. Jones called him on it and Christensen got rude and snotty towards Jones. Jones calmly and cooly retorted (not word for word) that we are at least supposed to try to be unbiased. Christensen wasn't on NBC for for much longer. Jones is fondly remembered in San Diego as he called many Charger games and also resided in La Jolla. Whatever Jones bias was, if he had one, I couldn't tell. Charlie Jones had a great voice and a great passion for football!

God speed Charlie Jones!

Man, do we need a separate RIP board? :cry:

Charlie Jones was a great annoucer....I always enjoyed his AFC games back in the '80s and '90s.

Well, in a morbid way this closes the books on the three for me. Mitch, Tim and now Charlie, who called what most would consider the greatest Bills game of all time. Three guys all associated (in my mind at least) the Bills die within 3 days of each other. Its the way it works. God Bless them all, as well as every body here, been a rought week.