Hardy.....

It could be a combination of the 2 (I am being kind), but I am leaning more toward bad character. I for one think that the off field incidents will continue. I truly hope to be wrong but history, as most of us know, does tend to repeat itself. They guy beats up women, whips out guns, and God knows what he did this time, this having just rolled into town.

Before you say that I am being sanctimonious, let me openly state that if I was a young, gifted, soon to be rich professional athlete, I have no idea how I would react/behave.

That said, you are (imo) quite naive if you think that this kind of behavior is going to all of a sudden stop, and you know what? It really sucks because the Bills, WNY and Bills Fans really do deserve a freaking break.

It doesn't matter if it's bad character or bad luck, if Hardy continues to repeat his past behavior it hurts the team. The excuse makers here are hoping that somehow repressing people's inistence on accountability by the unquestionably involved party in the crime, Marshawn Lynch, is going to make it go away. They claim to want to wait for the facts to come out, but it is Lynch who is preventing the facts from coming out, not you or I. If Lynch stonewalls the police and no charges can be filed will they THEN care because the facts can't come out? No, that's not their agenda. They just want it to get swept under the rug because they think it only hurts the team if Lynch or another player is punished.

It's not a matter of personal outrage, injustices happen all the time. For the purpose of this forum, this about having accountable football players on this particular team. A guy who runs from a simple misdemeanor charge....as if he were being framed for a murder he did not commit...is showing zero accountability for his actions. THAT is a fundamental character concern.

If your head coach is Bill Parcells, you let him handle it because you know he can and will. If it means cutting Lynch to make a point, you can rest assured he will and at the same time be confident that he will replace his production. If it's keeping him, you know Parcells won't take any sh*t or tolerate excuses.

But the Bills are a player driven team. The organization decided to go with a "players'" coach who relies on the accountability of his players and purposefully assembled a roster of steady, but unspectacular players who run to the football and for the most part don't make excuses for their poor performance. In return, they get praise and are treated like men by Jauron. The problem is that the team lacked the kind of playmakers it needed to win, and often times the gifted are the most difficult to handle. Lynch and Hardy came with character concerns in their recent past, but the organization had reached the point where they were going to have to take chances if they were going to get better. They can't be real excited about Lynch and Hardy right now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Hardy "beats up women"?

Does he beat up all women every day, or just the ones in his path? Does he beat guys dressed as women, or does he make sure she's really a woman before he beats her? Does he beat just blondes, or can their hair be any color? Are there are restrictions? Do you consider a female over the age of 18 a woman? Or does he look at their license to ensure they're 21 before he beats them?

Does he beat women in his family, or only women who are not related to him?

I mean, if he "beats up women," I can't help but believe that he does it every day all day to every woman, no?

Well, he did appear to put his hands around the neck of one woman, rip the phone out of the wall after she called 911, and then blame his apparently superhuman one and a half year old for pulling said phone out of the wall. And he never really protested the charges. But what the hey: it's all OK -- he's a Bill.

Let me preface this by saying it's pretty pointless for all us to sit here and argue about "character" for guys none of us know personally, and opinions of whom are formed by what we read in the media. Now let me throw in my meaningless 2 cents. These guys are young millionaires that come from a variety of upbringings. I came from a middle class upbringing in a nice town in WNY. I have done PLENTY of things in my life that I am not proud of especially while under the influence of alcohol.

If I had millions of bucks in my bank account, my mistakes may have been more serious. I feel that when I have had these relatively minor incidents, I have learned from them each time. I have driven a vehicle when I was too inebriated to do so. I have experimented with some drugs I am not proud to admit to. However, I feel like I have learned from these "mistakes" and think that I am a better person for it. Just today, I took a cab ride from a sketchy cab driver in a small midwest town that was quite uncomfortable so that I could go have a couple beers and watch some sports on tv. It would have been much easier to drive my company vehicle.

It goes back to more about how we glorify athletes, especially those on our favorite teams. Have these guys fuked up big time? Of course. The facts are very vague and still I think we can all mostly agree on that. Does what has happened necessarily make these guys Satan spawns? I personally don't think so. I hope that this incident is the final wake up call for these young guys. If more things happen in the future, I'll lean more towards the "lowlife" label. At this point I'll chalk this up to a BIG !@#$ up involving alcohol and panic. For those who have never experienced that, you are a better person than I. Like I said, this is just my meaningless 2 cents and my ultimate hope is that these guys have learned from their huge mistake and that they all are able to help the Buffalo Bills win games in 2008.

Well, he did appear to put his hands around the neck of one woman, rip the phone out of the wall after she called 911, and then blame his apparently superhuman one and a half year old for pulling said phone out of the wall. And he never really protested the charges. But what the hey: it's all OK -- he's a Bill.

Glad you were there to give us the report...

Let me preface this by saying it's pretty pointless for all us to sit here and argue about "character" for guys none of us know personally, and opinions of whom are formed by what we read in the media. Now let me throw in my meaningless 2 cents. These guys are young millionaires that come from a variety of upbringings. I came from a middle class upbringing in a nice town in WNY. I have done PLENTY of things in my life that I am not proud of especially while under the influence of alcohol.

Upbringing is an excuse not a reason......and a lame excuse at that. EVERYONE is accountable for their own actions, regardless of upbringing

Upbringing is an excuse not a reason......and a lame excuse at that. EVERYONE is accountable for their own actions, regardless of upbringing

Wrong. You're upbringing has a large part to do with your decision making process. If you are raised to be unaccountable, you will be unaccountable because you know no better. Are you trying to say that the values and lessons instilled in you by your parents have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your decision-making abilities?

Wrong. You're upbringing has a large part to do with your decision making process. If you are raised to be unaccountable, you will be unaccountable because you know no better. Are you trying to say that the values and lessons instilled in you by your parents have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your decision-making abilities?

What I believe he is trying to say is that saying its ok, or understandable because of where he came from, or his family life is not a reason for him to do those things, its an excuse. Saying that these players actions should be overlooked or not considered serious, because they are young and given money is an excuse that people use to justify the actions

This is the very reason that many posters were advocating restraint about jumping to conclusions until some facts came out. In the Buff News story today, it says that Hardy wasn't even out with the Bills players on Chippewa. Early in the night, Lynch and a few players were at Hardy's apartment getting their hair done. :lol:

Granted, that could be "bad character", but it's a personal choice.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buff...ory/373679.html

Meanwhile, police have learned more about the movements of Lynch and other players who spent time with him on the night of May 30, hours before the 3:30 a. m. accident.

According to police officials, Lynch and several other players spent part of that night getting their hair styled in the Orchard Park apartment of James Hardy, a rookie wide receiver.

A local hairstylist who is a friend of veteran defensive back Donte Whitner was called to the apartment to work on the players’ hair, authorities said.

“[Lynch] and some of the others left Hardy’s apartment around 9:30 that night,” said one source familiar with the case. “They made a stop somewhere else and then went down to Chippewa.”

Police sources said Lynch and at least one other player went to an exotic dance club in Cheektowaga before spending time in Chippewa Street bars late on the night of May 30 and early on the morning of May 31. Investigators do not believe that Hardy was part of the Chippewa expedition.

A 25-year-old Buffalo woman who said she spent time with Lynch at the Bayou bar at about midnight said he was behaving like a gentleman and drinking only water.

“I’m not sure if anyone has come forward in defense of Marshawn Lynch,” said the woman, who asked that her name not be used. “. . . He was nothing but nice, and he even took a picture with my friend and me.”

This is the very reason that many posters were advocating restraint about jumping to conclusions until some facts came out. In the Buff News story today, it says that Hardy wasn't even out with the Bills players on Chippewa. Early in the night, Lynch and a few players were at Hardy's apartment getting their hair done. :lol:

"If the dreadlocks don't clip, you must acquit". :lol:

It doesn't matter if it's bad character or bad luck, if Hardy continues to repeat his past behavior it hurts the team.

Yeah, having teammates over to your apartment and getting your hair done really hurts the team.

I'm fully prepared for you and others to blame Lynch for this, too. If he would have come clean and said who he was out with and who he wasn't out with, this never would have happened. But it would have been someone else the fans would rake over the coals without knowing what happened. Don't the cops have a responsibility to say that Hardy wasn't involved? Doesn't the Bills front office? Shouldn't Hardy come out and say he wasn't there? The answer is no for all four.

Does the fact that the first actual eyewitness account I have seen, with a direct quote attributed to it, says Lynch wasn't even drinking booze but only water when she was with him make him less likely to be guilty? No. It doesn't. We need to know some facts there, too.

Fans obviously have a right to their opinions. Speculating is fine, as long as it is clear it's an opinion. Slander is slander.

Does the fact that the first actual eyewitness account I have seen, with a direct quote attributed to it, says Lynch wasn't even drinking booze but only water when she was with him make him less likely to be guilty? No. It doesn't. We need to know some facts there, too.

She said he wasn't drinking at "about" midnight, right?

She said he wasn't drinking at "about" midnight, right?

And I said her quote doesn't make him look less guilty, because we don't know the facts of the previous two and a half hours, or the post three and a half hours. Which means, don't draw conclusions too early.

Don't you want to retract the thesis of your post? Just assuming he was a bad character for being out and drunk at 3:30 in the morning when he actually wasn't out and drunk at 3:30 in the morning even though the other players went out? Shouldn't you be commending his common sense and responsible behavior?

And I said her quote doesn't make him look less guilty, because we don't know the facts of the previous two and a half hours, or the post three and a half hours. Which means, don't draw conclusions too early.

Don't you want to retract the thesis of your post? Just assuming he was a bad character for being out and drunk at 3:30 in the morning when he actually wasn't out and drunk at 3:30 in the morning even though the other players went out? Shouldn't you be commending his common sense and responsible behavior?

Not really. For one thing, the title was in question form. If Hardy and Lynch weren't involved at all, that is great for the team. Say what you will, but I want the Bills to win as much as anybody. Like yourself, I put my time and money where my mouth is. That said, I don't apologise for expecting history to repeat.

This is a time when all I want to be is wrong. Seriously.

So since a witness said he was drinking water when she saw him, we can now jump to the conclusion that he wasn't drinking at all, much less driving drunk. What's good for the goose...

This is the very reason that many posters were advocating restraint about jumping to conclusions until some facts came out. In the Buff News story today, it says that Hardy wasn't even out with the Bills players on Chippewa. Early in the night, Lynch and a few players were at Hardy's apartment getting their hair done. ;)

Getting their hair done? Not pounding booze all night and driving around recklessly???

That's it. The last straw! I was there for ML, and for JH, defending them both when half the folks on this board had already thrown 'em both 'under the bus' with no evidence whatsoever, but come on...

Getting their hair done????

Whatever happened to going to a real barber for a haircut and a shave?

I've had it with those Nancy-boys.

So since a witness said he was drinking water when she saw him, we can now jump to the conclusion that he wasn't drinking at all, much less driving drunk. What's good for the goose...

Of course you'd have to also ignore the multiple reports of his "hip flasking", plus the bars he's already reportedly been asked to leave because of his flippant attitude over the practice.

This guy is sounding- and providing credible evidence of it by his actions- more like a poor gamble on the part of our management.