Matt Jones could get cut by the Jags

According to Rotoworld.com.

"Matt Jones has not been running among the Jaguars' top four wide receivers during Organized Team Activities. Troy Williamson is a fourth receiver at the moment and will be pushed by Mike Walker, who recently got healthy. Jags.com writer Vic Ketchman expects the team to keep five receivers. It doesn't look like Jones will be one of them."

For the most part, Jones has been pretty underwhelming. Only showing off his true potential just about once a year. Week 17 2007 8-138 1TD, Week 13 2006 6-128 1TD, Week 10 2005 5-117 1TD.

If he gets released, anyone think we should give him a look as our 5th receiver? You know, the whole "new team, new chance" cliche.

At 6-6, 232 and still only 25 years old, he would create even greater mismatches with Hardy in the red zone. And a 4 WR set of Evens, Hardy, Parrish and Jones would create speed and size mismatches all over the field.

Just a thought.

Who wants to be the first one to write the obligitory "I've heard of him" reply?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Rotoworld.com.

"Matt Jones has not been running among the Jaguars' top four wide receivers during Organized Team Activities. Troy Williamson is a fourth receiver at the moment and will be pushed by Mike Walker, who recently got healthy. Jags.com writer Vic Ketchman expects the team to keep five receivers. It doesn't look like Jones will be one of them."

For the most part, Jones has been pretty underwhelming. Only showing off his true potential just about once a year. Week 17 2007 8-138 1TD, Week 13 2006 6-128 1TD, Week 10 2005 5-117 1TD.

If he gets released, anyone think we should give him a look as our 5th receiver? You know, the whole "new team, new chance" cliche.

At 6-6, 232 and still only 25 years old, he would create even greater mismatches with Hardy in the red zone. And a 4 WR set of Evens, Hardy, Parrish and Jones would create speed and size mismatches all over the field.

Just a thought.

Who wants to be the first one to write the obligitory "I've heard of him" reply?

He is tall, only problem is that he sucks at Wide Receiver.

Sure, that sounds great. But, why aren't the Jags interested in him any more? It sounds like he simply isn't playing like a multi-million-dollar receiver. This is the paradox of the NFL. There is no doubt he belongs in the NFL, but apparently the Jags are overpaying him. But it is unheard of for them to simply make him take a pay-cut and stay on the team. If the team decides he has to be working for less, they are pretty much obliged to cut him all together, throwing away money already paid and the talent that he is. Then another team gets to give him that pay cut and take the Jag's talent. It's great.

For the most part, Jones has been pretty underwhelming. Only showing off his true potential just about once a year.

If he gets released, anyone think we should give him a look as our 5th receiver?

I think you answered your own question.

There are a lot of tall people in the world, but not many of they can play football. Being tall or fast or whatever doesnt always translate to football ability.

Consitering the rest of the jags recievers, getting cut from that group definatly doesnt look to good.

I would definitely love to see the Bills to take a chance on Jones. Consider that it takes most receivers about 3 years to adjust to the NFL game. Moulds was thought of as a bust at one time. Jones has never played receiver in his life and still put some decent numbers on a run-first team. I'd be all over Jones if he was available.

why not bring him in for a look? What could we lose? Jones is an athletic freak. DelRio has many in his doghouse- I am not sure why Matt is there. Funny, Wilford was in DelRio's doghouse and many were clamoring for us to sign him- and Jones has more upside. The rumor I heard was Jones was soft- which I loathe in a football player. But why not see first hand what he can bring to the team?

why not bring him in for a look? What could we lose? Jones is an athletic freak. DelRio has many in his doghouse- I am not sure why Matt is there. Funny, Wilford was in DelRio's doghouse and many were clamoring for us to sign him- and Jones has more upside. The rumor I heard was Jones was soft- which I loathe in a football player. But why not see first hand what he can bring to the team?

^^^ What he said. You never know how a guy might react to a change in scenery, a new coaching staff, a different group of guys in the locker room and different expectations. I can't see how it could hurt to bring him in for a look and see if he's worth adding as another big red-zone target and special teams player.

Poor word choice. Anyone who has seen him play would know that Matt Jones and the word "hands" should never be used together.

He would not crack our top 4.

And if you're not one of those 4, you'd better be an excellent ST player as the 5th guy... Matt is not that either. I'd rather have a guy to play special teams like Jenkins than Jones, who wouldn't see the field anyway.

Why stop there? If 30 lbs makes him a TE, which we have a bunch of average ones already, we could have him add 45 and be the backup LT! We need more line depth, right?

Hey, he went to college with Jason Peters, therefore, he's probably exactly like him. I say put some weight on him, convert him to TE, add some more, have him play occasionally DT on special teams, and then top him off and send him over to right tackle.

He is tall, only problem is that he sucks at Wide Receiver.

He doesn't suck, he just isn't worth the first round pick invested in him. I laughed when they took him at that spot. If his asking price isn't high, he does merit a look