What's a good price for weekly yard cutting

eball

Hey man, that's why I asked. You don't know the whole story, though. They're not just cutting my lawn; there are several other homeowners in my neighborhood who use them, so they've got economics of scale working for them. They are also full scale landscapers and they install sprinkler systems; they don't pay the bills by cutting lawns.

They came once a week in May and when I got the bill for $175 (5 visits because of how the calendar fell) I kind of flipped. My wife had set up the arrangement and we were both shocked. Now, if they only come twice a month it's $70, so I might continue with them, but that's why I started the thread -- to get some opinions.

Make sure whatever contract you sign it billed Monthly. that's why you got whacked for the buck seventy five.. Here in Florida it can range from 50 a month on up depending what you want/need done. Your lot sounds small, you should be able to get 60 to 80 a month. Good Luck.

For the amount of lawn that's being cut, and the fact they're in the neighborhood anyways, it's a bit high. Get some other estimates for comparison. Any teens in the area who'd do it? I pay my son $5 to cut the front and back of our house.

For the amount of lawn that's being cut, and the fact they're in the neighborhood anyways, it's a bit high. Get some other estimates for comparison. Any teens in the area who'd do it? I pay my son $5 to cut the front and back of our house.

When can your son be over?

Hey man, that's why I asked. You don't know the whole story, though. They're not just cutting my lawn; there are several other homeowners in my neighborhood who use them, so they've got economics of scale working for them. They are also full scale landscapers and they install sprinkler systems; they don't pay the bills by cutting lawns.

They came once a week in May and when I got the bill for $175 (5 visits because of how the calendar fell) I kind of flipped. My wife had set up the arrangement and we were both shocked. Now, if they only come twice a month it's $70, so I might continue with them, but that's why I started the thread -- to get some opinions.

You should buy a goat - they'll take care of the lawn for free, plus you'll get plenty of cheese and milk too.

I'll give a big second on this one. I just visited my eye surgeon yesterday and he told me he has two new patients in the last month that suffered serious eye injuries from lawn mower debris.

I have a Toro 6.5 HP recycler mower. Last week I was mowing, and hit a rock (which always makes me question, where was this rock last time I mowed? Are people throwing rocks into my yard?). It was one of those situations where I saw the rock RIGHT at the last second, and didn't avoid it. My mower sparked to high hell, sounded like a frigging bomb hit it, and shot out, and STUCK THROUGH a plank in my stockade fence. If that SOB had hit my leg (and of course I was being EXTRA safe by mowing in shorts and flip flops) I'm fairly certain I would have been down and out.

But, what are ya going do? Canadians won't mow for pennies.

We have a relatively small yard (1/3 acre lot), and the back portion of our backyard is natural area. I'm allergic as hell to grass turpines so I can't cut it, and I'm not going to ask my wife to do it (although she has offered).

The guys we had doing it last month charged $35 a pop, and that seems ridiculously high to me. They're done in less than 30 minutes.

What's reasonable?

Suburb of Chicago - I pay $22 per week for cutting, trimming and clean-up after the cut.

I have a Toro 6.5 HP recycler mower. Last week I was mowing, and hit a rock (which always makes me question, where was this rock last time I mowed? Are people throwing rocks into my yard?). It was one of those situations where I saw the rock RIGHT at the last second, and didn't avoid it. My mower sparked to high hell, sounded like a frigging bomb hit it, and shot out, and STUCK THROUGH a plank in my stockade fence. If that SOB had hit my leg (and of course I was being EXTRA safe by mowing in shorts and flip flops) I'm fairly certain I would have been down and out.

Reminded me of a time my father was cutting along the property line (there's a house there now). He hears something like a bullet whizzing by and shuts off the mower. he finds a bullet shell casing (was small- maybe a .22). He looks and sees a bullet hole in his pant leg near his ankle. It went through the pants and missed his leg by a fraction of an inch! That area was overgrown and could have been there for decades. The blade just hit it right to make it fire.

Suburb of Chicago - I pay $22 per week for cutting, trimming and clean-up after the cut.

Ok, but how much do you pay to have your lawn serviced?

Reminded me of a time my father was cutting along the property line (there's a house there now). He hears something like a bullet whizzing by and shuts off the mower. he finds a bullet shell casing (was small- maybe a .22). He looks and sees a bullet hole in his pant leg near his ankle. It went through the pants and missed his leg by a fraction of an inch! That area was overgrown and could have been there for decades. The blade just hit it right to make it fire.

How do you know someone wasn't trying to pop a cap in his ass! :lol:

LOL, hopefully no butts while you were mowing...but I digress.

E, your bill sounds awful cheap to me if it includes the trimming. Raleigh-Richmond pretty comparable. When I looked into services for my 1/2 acre lot, bout $350/month was cheap, $400 average, but that included full service likie mulching/ aeration/overseeding/trimming both grass and prunning shrubs etc. Only thng it did not include was leaf removal.

I thought you didn't have a lawn!

F#$@ing liar! :lol:

When my parents were missionaries in Africa they could get a guy to cut the lawn in their entire compound (1/4 of an acre) for $2. The kicker was he would grab a pair of shears and do it by hand.

Ok, but how much do you pay to have your lawn serviced?

How do you know someone wasn't trying to pop a cap in his ass! :lol:

It was back in like the early to mid 1960s. I don't think anyone was trying pop a cap in anyone's ass in Cheektowaga back then. :lol: