Lee was just on Sirius

Heitz

Nice long interview with Lee! The highlights:

- Contract: There is a contract offer on the table, they're going to work from there. Lee said it would be ideal to have a deal done before training camp!!

- On Edwards: wants to see him grow as a leader this year. He did a good job, but in his second year Lee wants to see him step up and really control the huddle and team

- On JP: He's just getting himself as ready as he can so he can take advantage should an opportunity present itself

- On Hardy: thinks he'll be a good one, needs to step up to NFL level

- On Turk: likes that he's had big game experience, expects him to bring good things to the O

- On the Pats: we need to learn to win the close ones, then we can compete with anyone

- On Toronto: thinks it'll be good for season ticket holders in that area, should be good for him and the players (more exposure in a bigger market)

- On the D: Doesn't know much about McKelvin, thinks that the Stroud pick-up should really help the entire D (Schein said our D line could be "dominant")

- On the labor agreement: wasn't surprised owners opted out. Feels there needs to be some new payment system for rookies

- On his contract: Basing his value off of Fitz, Moss, Berrian

All in all it was great to hear Lee on for so long talking about the season. Sounds like we're going to do what we can to lock him up! Schein thinks the Bills are going to be a special team this year!

- Contract: There is a contract offer on the table, they're going to work from there. Lee said it would be ideal to have a deal done before training camp!!

- On Edwards: wants to see him grow as a leader this year. He did a good job, but in his second year Lee wants to see him step up and really control the huddle and team

- On JP: He's just getting himself as ready as he can so he can take advantage should an opportunity present itself

- On Turk: likes that he's had big game experience, expects him to bring good things to the O

- On the Pats: we need to learn to win the close ones, then we can compete with anyone

- On Toronto: thinks it'll be good for season ticket holders in that area, should be good for him and the players (more exposure in a bigger market)

- On the D: Doesn't know much about McKelvin, thinks that the Stroud pick-up should really help the entire D (Schein said our D line could be "dominant")

- On the labor agreement: wasn't surprised owners opted out. Feels there needs to be some new payment system for rookies

All in all it was great to hear Lee on for so long talking about the season. Sounds like we're going to do what we can to lock him up! Schein thinks the Bills are going to be a special team this year!

Sounds good, thanks for the recap. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: thanks for the report!

thanks. nice recap.

Fitz is getting 10 mil per, berrian 7 mil per, and moss 9 mil per. I say offer him 5 yrs 43 mil, with 22 guaranteed.

That's a good offer. I'd say maybe a little lower is where they are now, but it'll end up something in the 5yr/$40MM-$45MM range. I'd say that typically you wouldn't want to give up that much guaranteed, but with Lee Evans, I could see it happening. I think they want to make him a career player for the Bills, and rightfully so.

thanks. nice recap.

Fitz is getting 10 mil per, berrian 7 mil per, and moss 9 mil per. I say offer him 5 yrs 43 mil, with 22 guaranteed.

Sounds about right. Might need to be a tad more than 22 though -- in the 25 range? Fitzgerald has better numbers than Evans, but I think they're pretty comparable in terms of talent/value.

Great stuff! Thanks!

If the NFLPA represents their players wishes there will be a solid contract structure for every draft pick and it won't be able to be deviated from. The first pick in the draft will get a lot less than they are getting now. I can't think of a single reason why even one player in the NFL right now wouldn't want that? It means a bigger slice of the pie for the veterans. The only people who won't like it at all are the draft picks who come in after the agreement and they can't do a thing about it. I don't think agents will really care that much because they'll make their money off of the vets bigger contracts and the negotiating process will be completely gone saving them and the NFL GM's a lot of time.

Great stuff! Thanks!

If the NFLPA represents their players wishes there will be a solid contract structure for every draft pick and it won't be able to be deviated from. The first pick in the draft will get a lot less than they are getting now. I can't think of a single reason why even one player in the NFL right now wouldn't want that? It means a bigger slice of the pie for the veterans. The only people who won't like it at all are the draft picks who come in after the agreement and they can't do a thing about it. I don't think agents will really care that much because they'll make their money off of the vets bigger contracts and the negotiating process will be completely gone saving them and the NFL GM's a lot of time.

If the negotiation process is completely gone, why do they need an agent?

Schein is a tool. Is there anyone with a cheesier radio voice?

Adam Schein here on Sirius NFL RadioOOOooooo...

He's really grown on me - I love the Sirius NFL channel, if only it were all Buffalo Bills 24/7 :lol:

Is it possible that the agents would demand a higher cut if they didn't have the automatic 1st round windfall, and are using that to keep Upshaw advocating for the current system?

The majority of the union are guys that are just passing through for a 1-3 year career. Who speaks for these players? They aren't around long enough or know enough about the business to have a voice of their own, so it is the agents who do their talking for them. And, from the agents perspective, the current system is great. You sign up a kid, boost his draft stock, and in a few short months are skimming a couple of million in cream off the top knowing full well the kid's career might never happen and he may never see another contract.