Another spring... another impending lay off...

SDS

At least this one lasted 4 years...

Not sure if I'm going to stay in optics, too few opportunities w/ a few too many family disruptions. I did get my TS/SCI CI clearance and I'm considering getting into the software/networking/computer side of life (trying to leverage my clearance).

However, the guys at dice.com are suicidal about the state of IT and programming. Is it really that bad? Does anyone know if it is better here in MD? I'm I screwed if I don't have my B.S in C.S. and a litany of other certs?

Not sure if I'm going to stay in optics, too few opportunities w/ a few too many family disruptions. I did get my TS/SCI CI clearance and I'm considering getting into the software/networking/computer side of life (trying to leverage my clearance).

However, the guys at dice.com are suicidal about the state of IT and programming. Is it really that bad? Does anyone know if it is better here in MD? I'm I screwed if I don't have my B.S in C.S. and a litany of other certs?

It depends on what you mean by "that bad?" From an employment market point of view, it's so-so right now. It seems like there is a lot of hiring going on, but it's geared towards more senior guys that have been in the industry for 10 years or so. I get calls all of the time, but the more junior folks I work with have to settle for a lower salary and 'clean up work.' Still a lot of offshore outsourcing going on.

You're not screwed with regards to the BS in CS and the array of certifications. Most places care more about experience than they do about your degree or your vendor approved rubber stamp. The exception (unfortunately) seems to be in the government contracting sector, which I'm sure is huge up where you are. So, while you can probably get into the field, expect to make a much lower salary while you earn that coveted IT experience. Also, expect that first IT related job to have more of a private sector "startup" atmosphere.

Looking back, I should have learned to plaster. :ph34r: That, or civil service...

http://www.opcmia.org/

Dam Scott, I am not sure where your expertice lies, but having that clearance should be a big big advantage here in DC. If you want, I work with a ton of Gov. Contractors and can at leat get your resume into the right hands(well kinda. I sell HR stuff, so my contacts are all HR folks). PM me with any questions

My IT company just got bought out, so that's a great feeling. Has to get all the share holder and SEC approvals to become official, but in about 4 months anything can happen. I've been checking out all the online job sites and found that Buffalo really has a lot of opportunities in IT, you have to do some digging, but they are there. I haven't applied for another position in 10 years, so my interviewing skills are rusty. Hopefully, it won't come to that though. With the "suicidal" state of IT and programming, there is a great need for IT skills, because college kids are avoiding IT like the plague. With most companies offering ERO's, and IT graduates declining, it leaves a major hole in the IT industry...

I wouldn't really put too much stock in what people say on Dice or any other large job site....remember, the people there are all looking for jobs too, the ones who have jobs probably don't spend much time posting.

The problem with IT jobs is there are a ton of people trying to get them, but there is an absolutely enormous gap between people who have real talent and those who fill their resumes with all the right buzzwords. If somebody says "i've been looking for 4 years and been on 84 interviews, and I still don't have a job!"....its because they don't have the skills they think they have. I interview programmers on almost a daily basis, and I'd have a hard time believing that in any other industry there is such a large difference between qualified and unqualified people.

So, I think if you have real skills and real soft-skills, there will never be a shortage of work in IT. That should go double if you have clearance, because they can't outsource those jobs to other countries. The real key is getting your resume through the HR-android filter (which those people on Dice have probably mastered)...once you talk to a real technical person, you'll be in good shape if you know what you are doing.

So, I think if you have real skills and real soft-skills, there will never be a shortage of work in IT. That should go double if you have clearance, because they can't outsource those jobs to other countries. The real key is getting your resume through the HR-android filter (which those people on Dice have probably mastered)...once you talk to a real technical person, you'll be in good shape if you know what you are doing.

There has to be a better way to find employees than this. I hate the job descriptions that throw in stupid stuff like, "Must be a team player, must have good communication skills. Must be highly motivated."

Aren't those criteria for any job? Has anyone ever put on their resume stuff like, "Not highly motivated, terrible communication skills."?

Move to Texas.

Strong Job Gowth, Low Taxes. :blink:

I wouldn't really put too much stock in what people say on Dice or any other large job site....remember, the people there are all looking for jobs too, the ones who have jobs probably don't spend much time posting.

The problem with IT jobs is there are a ton of people trying to get them, but there is an absolutely enormous gap between people who have real talent and those who fill their resumes with all the right buzzwords. If somebody says "i've been looking for 4 years and been on 84 interviews, and I still don't have a job!"....its because they don't have the skills they think they have. I interview programmers on almost a daily basis, and I'd have a hard time believing that in any other industry there is such a large difference between qualified and unqualified people.

This reminds me... if you *do* heads towards the programmer realm, your interview process can be all over the place. I've had interviews where I've actually had to write software on an overhead in front of the group and I've had interviews where they've said 'if you say you know it, then you do.' I'm actually quite good at interviews (I do 'em every now and then to stay fresh).

That HR android is an issue. Throwing in the correct buzzwords helps (as long as you can back it up with solid knowledge).

Move to Texas.

Strong Job Gowth, Low Taxes. :blink:

I was watching COPS last night ( El Paso)and I can only assume that there is tremendous job growth in the Educational field trying to teach people English. That would drive me over the top!

Good for you for clearances are only thing preventing jobs from being shipped overseas and some are still trying to do that saying foreign workers can be cleared.

No unless you want to get paid well. Lots of positions I have been talked to about but rare to they want to pay for more than 5 or 6 years experience. The degree you have is not a big deal for many companies as long as you do have a degree. Just having a clearance can help get you a foot in a door. Send me a note if you are interested in working in Springfield else I'd look near Baltimore/Columbia where the other TS SCI/Poly (CI) jobs are. Also check http://www.TechExpoUSA.com for job fairs.

Master plumbers are getting to the point where they are naming their price and getting it. And as far as I know, people will still be shiitting in toilets for the foreseeable future. The majority of plumbers are nearing retirement age, and wages will continue to rise as shortages continue.

If you can look past the "stigma" of the job, and don't mind wrestling with a dirty thunderbox every once in a while, you can make some good cake. My friend lives in Charleston, SC and was in a pretty bad way about 5 years ago...Horrible debt, horrible overall situation...He went to trade school, is now a plumber (he is officially an apprentice working under a MP) and he's clearing about $70K a year. He thinks his MP is up in the $100K range, but the guy also works like a maniac and loves the weekend/emergency calls.

Dam Scott, I am not sure where your expertice lies, but having that clearance should be a big big advantage here in DC. If you want, I work with a ton of Gov. Contractors and can at leat get your resume into the right hands(well kinda. I sell HR stuff, so my contacts are all HR folks). PM me with any questions

I had an SCI clearance when I was in the Air Force. Needed it just to be able to get into the site I worked @. It took me months for my clearance to go through while I worked answering phones in our unit First Sgt's office. The badge looks okay on a resume, but it didn't get me any jobs once I got out of the military.

Master plumbers are getting to the point where they are naming their price and getting it. And as far as I know, people will still be shiitting in toilets for the foreseeable future. The majority of plumbers are nearing retirement age, and wages will continue to rise as shortages continue.

Heating and cooling technicians / engineers are at that point as well. Co that I work for actually "sponsors" grads out of tech school to work their way into a customer tech / eng position.

I had an SCI clearance when I was in the Air Force. Needed it just to be able to get into the site I worked @. It took me months for my clearance to go through while I worked answering phones in our unit First Sgt's office. The badge looks okay on a resume, but it didn't get me any jobs once I got out of the military.

were in the tech/programming arena? I work with the HR departments at a lot of the beltway bandits, and they are all looking for people pretty aggresively.