This Off-season

Kirk Chambers is an undrafted free agent who spends his time as a revolving door at LT.

Look at his play in 2007 and how Edwards was running for his life.

Why they could not have drafted someone in the middle rounds who they could have groomed at LT highlights the continuing short sightedness of this front office as it relates to the OL. Even if they had drafted a bona fide G they could have moved Butler to LT in an emergency.

Taking a project in the 7th round who may be ready in 2010 does not deal with the problem in 2008.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

First of all, not too many teams have an excellent backup LT, and it's usually game over if a starting LT goes down. Second of all, how many games did you see Kirk Chambers play? He came in for Jason Peters about a 1/3 of the way into the Giants game and surrendered 1 sack and no QB hurries to Umenyiora, who had 13 sacks on the season. Then he started the following weekend and went against Trent Cole, who had 12.5 sacks, and didn't give up a sack or QB hurry. Hardly a lot of playing time, I would say, but enough to say he wasn't a total basket case considering he didn't get undressed by 2 of the better RDE's in the game. Third of all, the Bills drafted Demetrius Bell to develop at LT. Sure it's not "the middle rounds," but the kid looks like a worthwhile developmental prospect and has more raw tools than you'd find in a mid-round LT.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also that our draft picks for offensive lineman haven't panned out. I think it was perfectly fine for them to sign free agents on the offensive line since it takes time for offensive lineman to develop, a lot more than any position than quarterback. The only reason that Chambers was the backup LT was because Whittle was injured.

Also, who on this board really considered offensive lineman a high priority in this draft. It was weak for centers. I think they should have drafted Steve Justice in the sixth. There are only so many holes that can be filled in the draft, and most players in the sixth round don't become contributors so I doubt it will make much of a difference anyway.

how you can not have find a bonafide backup LT and C on your list of improvements bafflers me.

Even with A+ on your list, if Peters goes down, the season is over. pretty much the same with Fowler, and that's with him as a liability in the run game when he does play

The Bills re-signed Whittle, who has played center and guard in this league. He is a very solid backup.

And for those dogging Chambers, he and the entire o-line didn't allow a sack against the Eagles (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?game_id=29444&displayPage=tab_box_score&season=2007&week=REG17&override=true) , who finished 9th in sacks. Additionally, Lynch had over 100 yards against a unit that finished 10th in total yards against. So maybe, just maybe, Chambers is a decent backup (and I know this is completely crazy), the coaches like him as a backup.

First of all, not too many teams have an excellent backup LT, and it's usually game over if a starting LT goes down. Second of all, how many games did you see Kirk Chambers play? He came in for Jason Peters about a 1/3 of the way into the Giants game and surrendered 1 sack and no QB hurries to Umenyiora, who had 13 sacks on the season. Then he started the following weekend and went against Trent Cole, who had 12.5 sacks, and didn't give up a sack or QB hurry. Hardly a lot of playing time, I would say, but enough to say he wasn't a total basket case considering he didn't get undressed by 2 of the better RDE's in the game. Third of all, the Bills drafted Demetrius Bell to develop at LT. Sure it's not "the middle rounds," but the kid looks like a worthwhile developmental prospect and has more raw tools than you'd find in a mid-round LT.

Good first post. :lol:

Welcome to the board. We're glad you're hear and we appreciate your thoughtful post.

The fact that you elevated how much obie wan looks like a doof is duly noted.

Welcome to the board. We're glad you're hear and we appreciate your thoughtful post.

The fact that you elevated how much obie wan looks like a doof is duly noted.

Despite lurking, I've gotten the distinct impression that "obie_wan" (shouldn't that be "obi-wan?" or is it supposed to be "obie" as in that weird-looking stress toy that you squeeze and the eyeballs and ears pop-out? But I digress...) doesn't like the Bills too much. I guess it's just frustration from years of them missing the playoffs.

And this is what has caused us to lose time and again for the better part of 12 years my friend. Yet, Jauron is still chasing defensive backs. He took it to a new level of idiocy by even drafting one whose name is actually Corner. Only a Bills Fan can relate to this kind of insanity. :D

Come up for the Raiders game this year Bro. :lol:

I heard a stat that the Colts have spend a 4th or lower pick on offensive linemen for 10 out of the last 12 they selected. Additionally, they routinely draft defensive backs in the first 2 rounds. But what does Bill Polian know???

You can never have too many linemen. But this crusade to have the Bills draft them high is outdated. This is a different league. Teams let pro bowl o-lineman walk. This is a passing league. I don't know if you remember this, but there's a quarterback in NE who had a couple of decent games against us. Something like 9 tds and 0 ints. Defensive back went from one of our weaknesses to a strength.

They finally overspend big time on 2 players - who signficantly underperformed their huge contracts

I think if you look at our line play last year compared to the year before without those two players, its absurd to come to your conclusion...i believe they gave up the least amount of sacks in team history, in thier FIRST year together as a unit and im sure the run blocking will improve as year two progresses

I think if you look at our line play last year compared to the year before without those two players, its absurd to come to your conclusion...i believe they gave up the least amount of sacks in team history, in thier FIRST year together as a unit and im sure the run blocking will improve as year two progresses

Yep, and our RB also faced a lot of 8 and 9 man fronts because we had a rook QB and an O-coordinator who had an audible-phobia. Things should be improved in Trent's second year...hopefully.

:lol: Nice first post! There are lots of sub-par posters here- it is nice to have a new guy who knows logic and football!

I heard a stat that the Colts have spend a 4th or lower pick on offensive linemen for 10 out of the last 12 they selected. Additionally, they routinely draft defensive backs in the first 2 rounds. But what does Bill Polian know???

You can never have too many linemen. But this crusade to have the Bills draft them high is outdated. This is a different league. Teams let pro bowl o-lineman walk. This is a passing league. I don't know if you remember this, but there's a quarterback in NE who had a couple of decent games against us. Something like 9 tds and 0 ints. Defensive back went from one of our weaknesses to a strength.

This is an interesting concept. I respectfully disagree to a large extent, but the assertion that running matters less than before is an interesting thought.

You bring up Indy/Polian in terms of building a team. OK, but remember, Indy brought in Marvin Harrison and Ken Dilger (an exceptional player before he was injured) in 95/96. In 1997, they used their 1st and 2nd picks on OTs (Glenn and Meadows), then they drafted Manning.

When they lost Tarik Glenn to a very sudden retirement, Tony Ugoh (2nd round/pick 10) was waiting in the wings. This year, they actually drafted 3 Centers. Were there a lot of early DBs along the way? Sure, but I remind you that Indy plays at least half of their games in a dome, and was all set at QB, RB, WR, TE, and they had Freeney locked up at DE. Even at that, they didn't ignore blocking as you would suggest.

As for the "different league" thing, I would bet that you have stats to back this up. Still, I remind you yet again that the Bills play many games in inclement weather where passing is less important, and sometimes barely possible. The Bills have pretty good starters on the OL, yet they failed WAY too often in terms of converting on 3rd and short. Can we at least agree on this?

My views might be dated as you suggest. I don't know, but imo there is no substitute, especially in cold weather, for running the football, and stopping the other team from doing so. My thinking is that once a football team does this, other great things will follow.

This leaves us with the hope that Stroud and Poz can make a difference. I think they can and will, but it will be for naught if Duke Preston is lining up next to Fowler. NFL teams exploit this type of weakness. In other words, we better stay healthy up front, because we don't seem to have young, talented players on the bench to come in and block. But, we do have a bevy of corners.

Jmo.

In addition to the OT project they drafted, the Bills also picked up a projected 5th round OG as an UDFA - Felton is his name. I think he may make the team.

I'm of the opinion that you fill your starting needs before you search for backups, even at key positions like LT. Our secondary was repeatedly toasted by Tom Brady, and was one of the main reasons we lost the Dallas game. Obviously it was a glaring weakness that needed to be addressed. The Bills did it by taking the top ranked CB on their board, and they were still able to address their biggest need in round 2 with Hardy.

In addition to the OT project they drafted, the Bills also picked up a projected 5th round OG as an UDFA - Felton is his name. I think he may make the team.

I'm of the opinion that you fill your starting needs before you search for backups, even at key positions like LT. Our secondary was repeatedly toasted by Tom Brady, and was one of the main reasons we lost the Dallas game. Obviously it was a glaring weakness that needed to be addressed. The Bills did it by taking the top ranked CB on their board, and they were still able to address their biggest need in round 2 with Hardy.

I'm fine with that.

why not take a OL to develop in round 3 - 5 that might actually have some talent?

If Felton is so good, why did 32 teams forget to draft him?

Picking up scraps and hoping you catch lightning in a bottle is not a real high percetnage way to build and maintain your OL. After lucking out with Peters, the Bills are even more convinced they can find undrafted players to become functional OL. Theyu will be back in the market signing Bennie Anerson's and Tuten Reyes after their latest crop of undrafted and 7th round porjeucts washes out.

I'm fine with that.

why not take a OL to develop in round 3 - 5 that might actually have some talent?

If Felton is so good, why did 32 teams forget to draft him?

Picking up scraps and hoping you catch lightning in a bottle is not a real high percetnage way to build and maintain your OL. After lucking out with Peters, the Bills are even more convinced they can find undrafted players to become functional OL. Theyu will be back in the market signing Bennie Anerson's and Tuten Reyes after their latest crop of undrafted and 7th round porjeucts washes out.

You know J.Peters was an UDFA, right?

Despite lurking, I've gotten the distinct impression that "obie_wan" (shouldn't that be "obi-wan?" or is it supposed to be "obie" as in that weird-looking stress toy that you squeeze and the eyeballs and ears pop-out? But I digress...) doesn't like the Bills too much. I guess it's just frustration from years of them missing the playoffs.

They have missed the playoffs for the last 10 years because they have ignored drafting and developing the OL over the same time frame.

They have missed the playoffs for the last 10 years because they have ignored drafting and developing the OL over the same time frame.

yes, this is the ONE AND ONLY reason... obviously. it is the only thing that has single-handedly kept us from the playoffs. if only we had drafted a guard instead of McGahee, we'd be in the Super Bowl. :lol:

the reason we have so much money tied up in the OL is that we failed to build the OL thru the draft for 10 years - and we continue to do ignore it.l

They finally overspend big time on 2 players - who signficantly underperformed their huge contracts - so this means we can go back to ignoring the OL in the draft for the next 10 years?

It's not asking for much to spend 1 out of 10 draft picks above the 7th round on the most important group on the team.

jesus dude. you and bill should start watching team sumo instead of football, you just want to watch fat guys slap bellies.

you guys B word about not getting a new back up LT with draft picks?!?!?! wtf?!?!?! the oline let up the fewest sacks in team history.

we let ne throw for 9TDs on us, but you want to improve our blocking?

how many stars do the giants have on their o line? zero, they are all scrubs. they won because ther are 17 other starters on the team and the oline isn't everything.

yes we have done a bad job drafting o line. all that matters is who is on your team, we have a stud LT (best in afc, pro bowler) a good RT and a very good LG. our young RG is decent too. thin at center, but otherwise we have a very good line.

saying we should have addressed back ups over our dbs or drafting corner is idiotic really is silly.

our corners were bad last year, we are upgrading. there's more to football that big fat guys.