Professional Sports on the Rise and Fall

blah, blah, blah. The field fairies have been saying this for 30+ years. If it was gaining so much popularity, football, baseball, and all other sports would have been out of business long ago. Soccer is just a brutal sport to sit and watch either on tv or even live. Sure it's great for your saturday morning kid thing to help your child stay in shape, but please, the pro and even higher level amateur levels are just boring.

lots of people disagree with you :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of people disagree with you :)

And they're wrong. But hey that's okay. If people really think an influx of 10 million illegal hispanics is going to make the soccer game grow nationally good for them. It's not like they can play on county run teams, since they won't have legal status. It's also not like they'll have lots of money to spend 50 per ticket watching in a stadium week in and week out.

I am SO tired of reading "Americans don't like to watch soccer because they don't understand it." Bullschitt. There's really not a whole lot to understand. I also don't enjoy watching a televised chess match -- and it ain't because I don't understand chess or don't like to play. I played soccer from the time I was six until I went to college. I know the sport. It doesn't matter. It's just not an interesting game on TV when there are so many other options. Listen -- I LIKE the sport and it's still about the last thing I'd tune to unless it's the World Cup (and nothing else is on).

When will the kickball faithful just suck it up and realize soccer is "the world's most popular sport" for one reason and one reason only -- anyone (and particularly, the impoverished) can play because all you need is a ball and a field. It's that simple. It's not the greatest game ever invented -- it's the most accessible game to most of the world.

Are people really suggesting that a rise in the US Latino population will drive soccer popularity in this country? To the contrary, I believe those Latinos will be converted to our more popular sports as they see how much more entertaining they are to watch.

Soccer already IS popular in the US -- just not on TV, and it never will be. Fun to play, boring to watch (for most). Period.

I disagree...I never watched golf because I thought it was silly, until I started playing. Then I realized how difficult it was and now can enjoy watching golf. Prior to this, I thought it was the most boring TV sport around. Same with Soccer, you think passing the ball around and controlling the ball is easy, but if you don't play, you don't have an understanding of how difficult it is. Just like how I thought that 20 yard chip shot was easy prior to playing golf!

The vast majority of the world would stongly disagree. Soccer is the world's game- and it is a beautiful game at that. The ADD, hot pocket, instant gratification segment of America will never get the game. Those that have ever played it will respect and admire the nuances of the game and the skill level required. Soccer players are some of the best athletes in the world. Don 't believe me? Try playing midfield- then get back to me. Soccer will never catch on to the closed minded and there will always be haters. But there is over 300 million Americans, and our hispanic population is on the rise- there is a large segment of America that really loves soccer and the numbers are only gonna increase

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think it's unfair to say that Americans do not like soccer because they are close-minded. Cultures just grow up with different spectator sports and they naturally prefer the ones that they like. While I think soccer can increase in popularity here, youth soccer has long been popular and it has not translated into large number of fans when they are adults. As the Hispanic population grows and as there as professional soccer becomes more established, then yes soccer popularity will grow, but playing a sport does not clearly translate into wanting to watch the sport.

We cannot say that Americans do not like soccer because they are close-minded and then complain when other countries do not like our sports like football. Do you want people to say that Europeans do not like American football b/c it is too complicated for them?

Heard this on the Dan Patrick show the other day, and it got me thinking. What sports do you think are in a slow decline in terms of popularity and interest? Which are becoming more popular?

Here's my own preliminary list of each (with some help from Dan Patrick).

On the Decline:

Hockey (though not in Buffalo!)

Boxing

Indy Car Racing

Horse Racing

Bike Racing (after the Tour de France debacles)

On the Rise:

Nascar

Soccer

Football (can it get more popular in the USA? But it seems to be expanding internationally)

You forgot Mixed Martial Arts/UFC on your "rise" list. Hockey is pretty much were it's always been.

PTR

I disagree...I never watched golf because I thought it was silly, until I started playing. Then I realized how difficult it was and now can enjoy watching golf. Prior to this, I thought it was the most boring TV sport around. Same with Soccer, you think passing the ball around and controlling the ball is easy, but if you don't play, you don't have an understanding of how difficult it is. Just like how I thought that 20 yard chip shot was easy prior to playing golf!

You completely missed my point. I'm glad you now enjoy watching golf after learning to play, but my point was that even those who understand and "get" soccer (like myself) would still rather watch something else on TV.

The myth that soccer is the "most popular" sport in the world because of its "beauty," strategy, or entertainment value needs to be exposed. It's popular worldwide because it's accessible. That point can not be overstated.

I'm watching Game 5 of Pens/Rangers right now (2-2 in OT) and can't imagine preferring to watch ANY soccer game.

And they're wrong. But hey that's okay. If people really think an influx of 10 million illegal hispanics is going to make the soccer game grow nationally good for them. It's not like they can play on county run teams, since they won't have legal status. It's also not like they'll have lots of money to spend 50 per ticket watching in a stadium week in and week out.

pretty arrogant to say they are wrong for having an opinion. you have an opinion don't say they are wrong. you are wrong my friend this thread is going nowhere i'm out.

You completely missed my point. I'm glad you now enjoy watching golf after learning to play, but my point was that even those who understand and "get" soccer (like myself) would still rather watch something else on TV.

The myth that soccer is the "most popular" sport in the world because of its "beauty," strategy, or entertainment value needs to be exposed. It's popular worldwide because it's accessible. That point can not be overstated.

I'm watching Game 5 of Pens/Rangers right now (2-2 in OT) and can't imagine preferring to watch ANY soccer game.

Have you ever played soccer? At what level? You are very very wrong about it being popular because it accessible. It is very difficult to watch soccer in North America. It is not accessible. I watch it for exactly the reason's you mentioned....beauty, strategy and entertainment.

I grew up playing Hockey, still play. Can't sit through 10 minutes of hockey.

It is a different world now. I agree soccer will most likely never surpass football in my lifetime. But I feel soccer will grow in popularity from here on out most every year.

Soccer may continue to grow in popularity in the US, but I think worldwide it will decline. Soccer is to the world what baseball was to the US fifty years ago. As the standard of living rises for much of the rest of the planet, a good deal of those people will become bored with soccer and more interested in sports with more action, violence and variety of skill(like using hands, for instance).

I think the REAL issue is that hockey fans have an inferiority complex, cause every time a soccer discussion starts up, the hockey fans feel the need to start peeing on fire hydrants. :lol:

I actually think you missed Hardy's point....you may understand and "get" soccer, but that's a whole lot different than appreciating it. I had the same experience as he did with golf...once I started playing it I began watching it more on television and enjoying it more.

As for the "myth" thing, the fact that soccer is the most accessible sport on earth is a GREAT thing! You know what's even more accessible than soccer? Hop scotch. By your theory, something like hop scotch should be the most popular sport in the world simply because it's more accessible. Soccer is a great game because it's a great game. The fact that anyone can do it, and from a very young age, is awesome for the health of the sport. But the accessibility thing alone is not why it's so huge.

Soccer takes a lot of talent to actually be somewhat good at. I would love for the US to win a World Cup but its a long shot. The best players in America would struggle to play Premiership soccer. Once the NHL gets of VS and back onto networks that people actually watch, it should start to pick up some more in terms of popularity. If Indy Car was during Nascar season, I'm sure the Nascar fans would watch it.

Hockey, Football, and Soccer are probably the 3 sports that take the most talent and best athletes IMO.

Have you ever played soccer? At what level? You are very very wrong about it being popular because it accessible. It is very difficult to watch soccer in North America. It is not accessible. I watch it for exactly the reason's you mentioned....beauty, strategy and entertainment.

Come on, man...if you're going to debate me, at least have the courtesy to read my posts.

1. the part Americans don;t understand about the game is the futility caused by lack of scoring and scoring chances. What mis-understood rules do you think would change someone's outlook on the game?

2 & 3 pretty tough to argue that soccer will become common place in America when the only "good" soccer is played by a few selective teams 2000 miles away. If good soccer and good soccer plays can only be made by the superstar elite, soccer does not have much chance of overtaking the NFL and NCAA football in the US.

so what are these misunderstood rules ruining my appreciation of the game?

other than the ones that limit goal scoring to less than 2 and scoring chances to a handful - for 90 minutes of play.

so what are these misunderstood rules ruining my appreciation of the game?

other than the ones that limit goal scoring to less than 2 and scoring chances to a handful - for 90 minutes of play.

Are you talking to yourself?

I think the REAL issue is that hockey fans have an inferiority complex, cause every time a soccer discussion starts up, the hockey fans feel the need to start peeing on fire hydrants. :lol:

Nah...I was just in the middle of watching an exciting game and used it to help clarify my point. I watch what I like, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I actually think you missed Hardy's point....you may understand and "get" soccer, but that's a whole lot different than appreciating it. I had the same experience as he did with golf...once I started playing it I began watching it more on television and enjoying it more.

Hardy's point was personal to Hardy, and I took it as just that. Every time someone criticizes soccer on TV, though, you guys crawl out of the woodwork to tell us we don't appreciate the "beauty" of the sport, which is really all a bunch of hogwash.

As for the "myth" thing, the fact that soccer is the most accessible sport on earth is a GREAT thing! You know what's even more accessible than soccer? Hop scotch. By your theory, something like hop scotch should be the most popular sport in the world simply because it's more accessible. Soccer is a great game because it's a great game. The fact that anyone can do it, and from a very young age, is awesome for the health of the sport. But the accessibility thing alone is not why it's so huge.

In the realm of team sports (so we can move past your ridiculous hopscotch comparison) soccer serves a number of purposes that have fueled its worldwide popularity --

(1) It occupies 22 people at a time;

(2) The only equipment you need is a ball;

(3) You don't really "need" a referee; and

(4) The basic rules are pretty simple -- score a goal using anything but your hands.

These, by the way, are the same reasons soccer has gained so much popularity as a youth sport in the US over the past 25 years. Cheap and easy.

I'm not debating, I hope you realize, that soccer is a great game and many wonderful athletes play it at a high level. As I indicated in my first post in this thread, I played soccer for a period of 10-12 years and was actually quite good at it. I'm merely responding to the notion continually thrust upon Americans that we should be embracing the sport on TV at a level equal to that of football, basketball, baseball, and yes, even hockey. It just ain't gonna happen.

Nah...I was just in the middle of watching an exciting game and used it to help clarify my point. I watch what I like, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Hardy's point was personal to Hardy, and I took it as just that. Every time someone criticizes soccer on TV, though, you guys crawl out of the woodwork to tell us we don't appreciate the "beauty" of the sport, which is really all a bunch of hogwash.

In the realm of team sports (so we can move past your ridiculous hopscotch comparison) soccer serves a number of purposes that have fueled its worldwide popularity --

(1) It occupies 22 people at a time;

(2) The only equipment you need is a ball;

(3) You don't really "need" a referee; and

(4) The basic rules are pretty simple -- score a goal using anything but your hands.

These, by the way, are the same reasons soccer has gained so much popularity as a youth sport in the US over the past 25 years. Cheap and easy.

I'm not debating, I hope you realize, that soccer is a great game and many wonderful athletes play it at a high level. As I indicated in my first post in this thread, I played soccer for a period of 10-12 years and was actually quite good at it. I'm merely responding to the notion continually thrust upon Americans that we should be embracing the sport on TV at a level equal to that of football, basketball, baseball, and yes, even hockey. It just ain't gonna happen.

They don't have team hopscotch? :D

Most of the time when we have a soccer thread, the soccer fans keep it to themselves...then someone comes in and starts busting balls (which I think is great when something is actually brought to the table and not lame), and then we're put in the position of talking about why soccer is such an awesome sport. I don't think soccer folks are thrusting the notion you cited on anyone...most of us are pretty content being a niche sport with some potential for growth, and appreciate having a bit more access to the matches - both here and abroad. I just think that saying the "cheap and easy" thing is WHY soccer is as popular as it is is way oversimplistic, and it takes away from those aspects of the game that we all love. And I hate to tell you, but soccer ratings are already better than the NHL and the NBA at certain times. That doesn't mean I expect soccer players to be getting commercials and have the same visibility in this country as some of more marketable players in those two leagues, but I remember articles from 2006 citing the world cup ratings in America as being higher than both the NBA and NHL finals. If it never got any bigger than it is now, I'd be pretty happy with that.

As for hockey, I've never played it other than in gym class, but now that it's in HD I find myself watching it much more often. As with the NBA, I love when it comes down to the playoffs and finals...especially when my Sixers and Flyers are in the mix as the both were and are this season. I don't just love one sport, and I think there's room for all of the sports we love on the national stage :lol:

They don't have team hopscotch? :D

Most of the time when we have a soccer thread, the soccer fans keep it to themselves...then someone comes in and starts busting balls (which I think is great when something is actually brought to the table and not lame), and then we're put in the position of talking about why soccer is such an awesome sport. I don't think soccer folks are thrusting the notion you cited on anyone...most of us are pretty content being a niche sport with some potential for growth, and appreciate having a bit more access to the matches - both here and abroad. I just think that saying the "cheap and easy" thing is WHY soccer is as popular as it is is way oversimplistic, and it takes away from those aspects of the game that we all love. And I hate to tell you, but soccer ratings are already better than the NHL and the NBA at certain times. That doesn't mean I expect soccer players to be getting commercials and have the same visibility in this country as some of more marketable players in those two leagues, but I remember articles from 2006 citing the world cup ratings in America as being higher than both the NBA and NHL finals. If it never got any bigger than it is now, I'd be pretty happy with that.

As for hockey, I've never played it other than in gym class, but now that it's in HD I find myself watching it much more often. As with the NBA, I love when it comes down to the playoffs and finals...especially when my Sixers and Flyers are in the mix as the both were and are this season. I don't just love one sport, and I think there's room for all of the sports we love on the national stage :lol:

Being played only once every four years has something to do with that, don't you think? There's certainly a "novelty" about the World Cup because it is so infrequent -- just like the Olympics. I never watch track and field, but every four years I find myself watching a freaking hammer throw because it's the Olympics.

Being played only once every four years has something to do with that, don't you think? There's certainly a "novelty" about the World Cup because it is so infrequent -- just like the Olympics. I never watch track and field, but every four years I find myself watching a freaking hammer throw because it's the Olympics.

I'm sure it has something to do with it, though I don't think the last few Olympics have exactly been ratings champs.

blah, blah, blah. The field fairies have been saying this for 30+ years. If it was gaining so much popularity, football, baseball, and all other sports would have been out of business long ago. Soccer is just a brutal sport to sit and watch either on tv or even live. Sure it's great for your saturday morning kid thing to help your child stay in shape, but please, the pro and even higher level amateur levels are just boring.

I disagree10,000% is the boring statement. If you watch a game with passion fans or even better attend one with the fanatics then you get hooked. Back at the 94' world cup, sitting with the Dutch fans in DC hooked me. Those people were insane. My buddy and I were the only people in the entire section not wearing orange and they created such a fun atmosphere, singing and drinking and yelling.

Soccer will never be one of the big 4, but it is growing in popularity and it offers a nice secondary option, for those of us you think the NBA is as exciting as folding socks. Could anyone actually hit a open 15 foot jumpo shot? Sorry can't practice that skill, it won't be on sportscenter.

Soccer will never be one of the big 4, but it is growing in popularity and it offers a nice secondary option, for those of us you think the NBA is as exciting as folding socks. Could anyone actually hit a open 15 foot jumpo shot? Sorry can't practice that skill, it won't be on sportscenter.

My problem with the NBA is that fouling is a part of the damn game plan. Ever since the advent of the "hack-a-shack", I've gradually lost interest in the game. The fact that you can basically have one of your players dedicated to fouling the hell out of the other team's best player is asinine to me. I also think there are too many teams that make the playoffs, to the point where you have teams with losing records in there from time to time. Regular season games in the NBA are almost meaningless. At least in baseball you only have four teams from each league making the post-season, so every one of the 162 games can be viewed as important.

I purchase the 600 range on DTV -all the nations' 'Empire' type local sports. There are always 4-5 soccer games on at any time. Not that I watch any of them. If you really like the sport, it's available. -Also on many Mexican/Latino networks.

I purchase the 600 range on DTV -all the nations' 'Empire' type local sports. There are always 4-5 soccer games on at any time. Not that I watch any of them. If you really like the sport, it's available. -Also on many Mexican/Latino networks.

Yep, you could watch soccer all damn day on DTV if you were so inclined....DTV rocks!

Blah blah blah to your argument. The fact of the matter is soccer is bigger here than it was 30 years ago, it's bigger than it was five years ago and it will be even bigger five years from now. If you don't think so, you're just being ignorant. Now that doesn't mean soccer will continue to grow at the expense of other sports. It doesn't have to be a Top 4 sport to be successful. Some might say it's already being successful.

The problem with soccer in the past was what I'll call the Americanizing of soccer. It's already a beautiful game but people here tried to tinker with it and its rules to appease the American masses. It failed big time because they only alienated the sport's real fans ... which by the way marketing companies now say are one of the best groups, along with hockey fans, to spend advertising dollars on.

Thankfully, the MLS and US Soccer Federation are doing things the right way now. It has been an uphill battle but since starting the league post World Cup 94, the league is just inches away from profitability. In fact, I believe just about every team with a soccer specific stadium turned profits last year. Within the next two seasons, I believe every team in the league will have their own dedicated stadium which helps financially and on TV.

I could go on and on with all the great things that happened to soccer in the USA over the past 10 years. Like I said before, it doesn't have to be a Top 4 sport to be widely successful here, although I imagine one day it might be considered a Top 5 sport.

I've been hearing how soccer is on the rise in the states for 25 years. The fact is it will never reach anywhere close to the popularityit has in Europe. It's a sport that is played by millions of kids in the states throughout school but that's where it ends. Baseball has been on the decline for years and now hockey's having problems but I still love it.

I don't know about TV ratings, but attendance figures point to baseball's growth, not decline. With the exception of two recession years in '02 and '03 attendance has been steadily climbing from the 90s to today(see chart halfway down page); they set an attendance record last year and are on pace to break that record again this year. Minor league baseball has set attendance records in each of the last four years.

Like I said before, it doesn't have to be a Top 4 sport to be widely successful here, although I imagine one day it might be considered a Top 5 sport.

If the NHL--the #4 pro sport (discounting NASCAR, for the moment)--gets a 1% share of national TV viewers, would something south of that for soccer be considered a success?

Promo, I agree with your inclusion of lacross in the increasing popularity category.

Sadly, I'd put golf in the decreasing category, as the number of people playing the game is declining from the intitial wave of Tiger-mania. In a high speed world, the time contraints of a 'good walk, spoiled' are getting harder to justify, both in terms of playing and viewing.

Soccer is stupid. The only reason our kiddies are playing it is because- with the exception of a kick in the shins- it's safe and with such a big field, it tires the little heathens out. Any activity that strickly bans the use of our fabulously dexterious fingers is ridiculous.

Boring as hell. Doesn't transfer well to TV.

Will never suceed in America.

I couldn't agree more! ;)

I am SO tired of reading "Americans don't like to watch soccer because they don't understand it." Bullschitt. There's really not a whole lot to understand. I also don't enjoy watching a televised chess match -- and it ain't because I don't understand chess or don't like to play. I played soccer from the time I was six until I went to college. I know the sport. It doesn't matter. It's just not an interesting game on TV when there are so many other options. Listen -- I LIKE the sport and it's still about the last thing I'd tune to unless it's the World Cup (and nothing else is on).

When will the kickball faithful just suck it up and realize soccer is "the world's most popular sport" for one reason and one reason only -- anyone (and particularly, the impoverished) can play because all you need is a ball and a field. It's that simple. It's not the greatest game ever invented -- it's the most accessible game to most of the world.

Are people really suggesting that a rise in the US Latino population will drive soccer popularity in this country? To the contrary, I believe those Latinos will be converted to our more popular sports as they see how much more entertaining they are to watch.

Soccer already IS popular in the US -- just not on TV, and it never will be. Fun to play, boring to watch (for most). Period.

Good post! I agree. Soccer may be fun to play, especially as a kid. But on TV, I'd rather watch golf and even that makes me fall asleep.

;):ph34r::wallbash:

Passion?? More like a drunken insane asylum run completely amok. That make Yankee Stadium of the '70s look like a pre-school class.

Someone made the point that the rising Hispanic population will increase soccer popularity in the US. True of course for that segment of the country, but in English speaking America, soccer will never be more than a third tier sport. It's popular with parents because it's easy for all the kids to play and the equipment is cheap.

Hockey sadly, will continue to decline. The best thing for the NHL would be to ship all the southern teams to Canada. It's a regional sport and it was foolish to try to force it on the 2/3 of the US that doesn't care.

MMA overtaking boxing? Very sad but probably true. I for one miss the glory days of the Sweet Science.

soccer is a niche sport in the usa.

it is popular overall because little kids and girls play it. the us women's team is one of the best in the world -- this is because girls don't bother to play sports in most the places where soccer is popular.

it might be growing, but it's not the explosive growth MMA is experiencing world wide.

soccer is a simple game that doesn't possess any of the traits that we tend to love in our sports. no size strength or extreme speed. no hand eye co-ordination at all, no power and explosiveness. it is very low on strategy compared to the big 4 teams sports.

soccer is a simple little poor person game that has sort of reached its limit. it is exactly the game you see in the UEFA championships and so on, very few chances to score, skilled players without much opportunity to make a large impact on the game, and there is no where for the game to change.

football is an example of the highest level of sports. it requires immense strategy, officiating and complicated rules, specialized positions and important compliments of individual player skills with one another. it also requires more dedication than any other team sport to be played on a high level. pain, injury, suffering, intimidation, speed, explosiveness, power, determination, strategy, teamwork, dedication -- these are the attributes that football and football players live by. the nfl and other levels of football have had subtle but significant changes in rules over the years. the nfl is a great mix of tradition and change.

hockey is down and kinda going sideways. it had a hot period but the nhl pissed away a good opportunity. imo with HD hockey could be really good on tv if they put in some of the great cameras the nfl has worked with, but it is too small potatos right now.

baseball has strong regional support but is fairly tapped out wrt growth.

basketball (while the nba has been suffering lately) is a growth sport particularly in asia.

soccer really is a novelty in america -- it is interesting that millions of brazillians and unwashed eurotrash get worked up over a kickball game where skinny androgynous men pass about a little ball with little or no scoring while the ref arbitrarily determines how much time the game should be played for.

soccer really is a novelty in america -- it is interesting that millions of brazillians and unwashed eurotrash get worked up over a kickball game where skinny androgynous men pass about a little ball with little or no scoring while the ref arbitrarily determines how much time the game should be played for.

I think this should be Darin's new signature. ;)

;):ph34r::wallbash:

that sir, is !@#$ing brilliant!

Why is Hockey on the decline? I just don't get it. I love the sport. I love watching it on TV and I love going to any games.

Minor AHL, ECHL, NHL... I love the action.

I hate that ESPN does not give Hockey hardly any attention. I just don't get why Hockey is in the decline.

BTW... Soccer sucks.. the only reason why I think it is on the rise is all those soccer mom's signing up thier kids to play the stupid game.

Why is Hockey on the decline? I just don't get it. I love the sport. I love watching it on TV and I love going to any games.

Minor AHL, ECHL, NHL... I love the action.

I hate that ESPN does not give Hockey hardly any attention. I just don't get why Hockey is in the decline.

I'm not sure hockey is on the decline. I think it's doing very well at the college level.

Exhibit 1-A: The University of North Dakota. I've been there. It's the biggest sport in the state, and they play in an arena that's better than several NHL buildings. The Ralph Englestad Arena in Grand Forks is a palace. I haven't been to the arena, but they were building it when I was there (my father spent nine years of his childhood in Grand Forks, so I know a lot about the town and school).

They regularly draw 11,000 for Fighting Sioux games. And the program has several national titles to boot.

One big reason why soccer does not catch on is that the MLS, our highest level of soccer in North America, would be a sub-minor league anywhere else. There are English pub teams that could beat MLS teams. Every other pro sport in the USA represents the highest level of that game: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL. You won't find these sports played at a high level anywhere. But soccer? Fuggetaboutit!

Rather than the MLS, I'd rather see 3-4 soccer teams in the USA, in New York, L.A., maybe Miami or Boston too, and have these teams play European or Latin American competition. Play the best teams, be competitive, and people will care. Otherwise your beating your meat.

PTR

One big reason why soccer does not catch on is that the MLS, our highest level of soccer in North America, would be a sub-minor league anywhere else. There are English pub teams that could beat MLS teams. Every other pro sport in the USA represents the highest level of that game: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL. You won't find these sports played at a high level anywhere. But soccer? Fuggetaboutit!

Rather than the MLS, I'd rather see 3-4 soccer teams in the USA, in New York, L.A., maybe Miami or Boston too, and have these teams play European or Latin American competition. Play the best teams, be competitive, and people will care. Otherwise your beating your meat.

PTR

No breaks in the action = no commercials = very little tv coverage = very little opportunity to inculcate the masses about how vital soccer is to them = no trinket sales = no demands for picking the pockets of non-fans to build free places of businesses with public funds to the benefit of owners of teams and the vicarious satisfaction of the fans who want innocents to fund their personal yucks.

In no particular order...;)