Hypothetical Question

He has been a very good football player and would give us another pass rusher, again, if committed. I just have visions of us going into that last game 9-6 and getting waxed again by NE* because we let Brady sit in the pocket all day.

I think you just resolved the debate all on your own. If the reason to trade a #1 to the Fish for Taylor is so the Bills can end up 10-6 and squeak into the playoffs, the answer is a resounding "no."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is funny that some people think we could get a high draft pick for J.P. Losman, but you would only give up a 4th rounder for one of the top defensive ends in the NFL, when you wanted to spend the #11 pick on Derrick Harvey?

I would trade Losman for a 4th, and trade a 2nd for Taylor.

I think it is funny that some people think we could get a high draft pick for J.P. Losman, but you would only give up a 4th rounder for one of the top defensive ends in the NFL, when you wanted to spend the #11 pick on Derrick Harvey?

I would trade Losman for a 4th, and trade a 2nd for Taylor.

You'd give up a 2nd for a guy who's 34 years old?! And you'd do that as GM of a team that is not one player away from a serious Super Bowl run?!

Just for the record, look at the 2nd round picks for the New England NFL franchise.

2001: Matt Light, T

2002: Deion Branch, WR

2003: Eugene Wilson, FS

2004: Marquise Hill, DE (bust)

2005: no 2nd round pick

Out of four guys taken in the 2nd round, two are still with the team, and another got traded away for a 1st round pick. Do you honestly believe New England would have been better off losing out on the entire career of a Matt Light or a Eugene Wilson, in order to get a year or two out of a washed up DE?

The Pats might not be the best choice. Yeah, they robbed Seattle blind for Deion Branch, but he was really just a guy. David Givens and Patten looked good with Brady, too. Light is a star, Hill is a bust, and Eugene Wilson is a Buc. And if you move up to 2006, you get Chad Jackson. I'm not sure he's seen the field yet. They also drafted Bethel Johnson in the 2nd round in 2003. So that's three second round receivers, only one of whom starts anywhere. Other than light, if any of THOSE guys were on the roster, I'd give them up for Taylor.

But I do agree with your main point, just not the team.

Would you do it? Taylor can still bring it and would instantly provide some solid veteran leadership to our D. He's unhappy with Parcells, Parcells would have no hesitation about a division trade...he just wants more picks. What do you think?

I'd go for it.

Article that got me thinking about this

LOL..you must be joking. The guy is ancient.For a 1st????????????

no way in hell. We are building up a nice young, up and coming team. We have a nice core, a nice chemistry and we do not need no prima donna stinking Dolphin wrecking our salary cap with an $8 million cap hit, and we want our #1 pick next year. Who knows, maybe there are cap benefits for the Fins if they cut Taylor after June 1st. He might be able to be had for free. I am really against trading away picks. Build through the draft!

Some of you make me laugh....draft picks are gold and every one is the next pro bowl whatever right? How many 1st rounders do we have from the last 8 years who will start for us this year? 3...Whitner, Lynch and Evans.

How many times has Jason Taylor beaten the Pats* in the last 8 years....how many times have we?

We have 4 DEs...right, we may have one in Schobel. The others are solid players, not difference makers. Taylor won the Defensive MVP of the league two years ago. Who was the last Bill to get individual league-wide honors?

Taylor, yeah, he wants a career in Hollywood. If he gets the Bills to the playoffs and takes down Brady on national TV, he'd raise his profile a lot right?

You'd get 2 good years out of him and one mediocre. Thats more good years than any of the 1st round picks we made this decade (save Lynch or Whitner, too young to tell on either). Think about that.

I'd be all for offering Miami our #2, but if it took the #1...go for it.

I think perhaps you are a bit optimistic. Schobel is definitely a player and his numbers show that he is a solid DE. Even last year, with no DT push in the middle, and with Double Teams every play, he still had 6.5 sacks. Not bad for 2 on 1 every down. Chris Ellis is going to be very good in the rotation and Kelsay will play better with the increased play in the middle from Stroud, McCargo and Johnson.

Taylor is not going to last three more seasons. Where was he last year? Their defense was so bad a pee-wee squad could still have put up 21 pts per game, and Taylor was no where to be seen. As for how many times he's beaten the Pats* over the past few seasons, IIRC, Miami hasn't beaten them in their last eight tries. So to say that because Taylor got a sack on Brady once or twice, doesn't mean the FO should be dumb and waste 8 mil on a guy who is approaching washed up at an extremely high rate of speed. I'd rather they spent that money on resigning Lee Evans, who is now reaching the prime of his career and could be a real difference maker for this club.

If Buffalo went after every old-timer with a name, we'd be the New York Knicks of the football world. All the old time talent with none of their old time skill. Just cuz the guy was good once, don't mean he's good now. Just pass on Taylor and let someone else get ripped off by the Dolphins.

OK...3rd and goal, 9-6 BUF leading 10-5 NE 20-16 with :35 seconds to play...Brady has the ball at our 7, who do you want rushing him Kelsey/McCargo/Johnston/Schobel or Taylor/McCargo/Johnston/Schobel?

... to play LE or RE?

You'd give up a 2nd for a guy who's 34 years old?! And you'd do that as GM of a team that is not one player away from a serious Super Bowl run?!

Just for the record, look at the 2nd round picks for the New England NFL franchise.

2001: Matt Light, T

2002: Deion Branch, WR

2003: Eugene Wilson, FS

2004: Marquise Hill, DE (bust)

2005: no 2nd round pick

Out of four guys taken in the 2nd round, two are still with the team, and another got traded away for a 1st round pick. Do you honestly believe New England would have been better off losing out on the entire career of a Matt Light or a Eugene Wilson, in order to get a year or two out of a washed up DE?

I would trade Eugene Wilson for Jason Taylor. I would trade Matt Light for Jason Taylor. I would trade Deion Branch for Jason Taylor. And I would also trade Marquise Hill for Jason Taylor. They also drafted Bethel Johnson in the 2nd round, and I would also trade him for Jason Taylor.

And who is to say we are not a player or 2 away from a Super Bowl run? Did you see the Steelers, Bears and Giants the last few years? Going into training camp, I dont think anybody would have said they were on their way to the Super Bowl that year. Our defense is on the rise and adding a player with the caliber of Jason Taylor, would not be a bad thing. You give up a 2nd round draft pick for him and see what he does, on AND off the field (in the locker room) and watch how he helps develop our younger defensive linemen. Ellis, Johnson, McCargo, Jefferson and McCray would ALL be better off learning from one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL, even Schobel and Kelsay could learn a few things.

Then to make up for that 2nd rounder, the Bills could trade a package with JP Losman/Fred Jackson/and another young player on the rise, or something along those lines. I think Jason Taylor still has 5 years left in him to play at a high level. His production did not drop off much from last year, when he won defensive player of the year honors, to this year, when he played on a horrible defense.

This is just my opinion and everybody deserves a chance to express their opinion. I think the Bills would gain from adding Jason Taylor.

I would trade Eugene Wilson for Jason Taylor. I would trade Matt Light for Jason Taylor. I would trade Deion Branch for Jason Taylor. And I would also trade Marquise Hill for Jason Taylor. They also drafted Bethel Johnson in the 2nd round, and I would also trade him for Jason Taylor.

And who is to say we are not a player or 2 away from a Super Bowl run? Did you see the Steelers, Bears and Giants the last few years? Going into training camp, I dont think anybody would have said they were on their way to the Super Bowl that year. Our defense is on the rise and adding a player with the caliber of Jason Taylor, would not be a bad thing. You give up a 2nd round draft pick for him and see what he does, on AND off the field (in the locker room) and watch how he helps develop our younger defensive linemen. Ellis, Johnson, McCargo, Jefferson and McCray would ALL be better off learning from one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL, even Schobel and Kelsay could learn a few things.

Then to make up for that 2nd rounder, the Bills could trade a package with JP Losman/Fred Jackson/and another young player on the rise, or something along those lines. I think Jason Taylor still has 5 years left in him to play at a high level. His production did not drop off much from last year, when he won defensive player of the year honors, to this year, when he played on a horrible defense.

This is just my opinion and everybody deserves a chance to express their opinion. I think the Bills would gain from adding Jason Taylor.

Hes 34, you know that right? if you think he can play at a high level until hes 39 years old, pass the pipe that must be some good sh--

Taylor is an awesome player, and might be for the next 1 - 2 years. He would help the Bills.

But not for a friggin 1st round pick! That's just silly. Maybe a 4th. A 1st round pick isn't worth only 2 - 3 years of production.

Would you do it? Taylor can still bring it and would instantly provide some solid veteran leadership to our D. He's unhappy with Parcells, Parcells would have no hesitation about a division trade...he just wants more picks. What do you think?

I'd go for it.

Article that got me thinking about this

I'd go for it.

:lol::D:lol::(:angry::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

What a ridiculous idea . . .

I didn't even read the entire thread. Why in God's name would you trade away a 1st round choice for a guy who is 33, on the downside of his career, has MAYBE 2 good years left and can't stop a running play?

Thank heavens you're not the GM at OBD . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna start a new thread, but this one suits me just fine...

WTF is going on in Miami? First Ricky quits football to become a zen master and supreme pothead, the team drafts a punt returner in the first round, and now Jason Taylor goes on to ESPN and says the following:

“In 10 years from now, when I’m 43 years old, I’m hoping that people are talking more about the things I’ve done in the film business than what I did in football or dancing.”

:blink:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content...de_the_dolphins

This recent era of Dolphins football is just too precious to even deserve to be considered a rival for the Bills. :)

I was gonna start a new thread, but this one suits me just fine...

WTF is going on in Miami? First Ricky quits football to become a zen master and supreme pothead, the team drafts a punt returner in the first round, and now Jason Taylor goes on to ESPN and says the following:

“In 10 years from now, when I’m 43 years old, I’m hoping that people are talking more about the things I’ve done in the film business than what I did in football or dancing.”

:)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content...de_the_dolphins

This recent era of Dolphins football is just too precious to even deserve to be considered a rival for the Bills. :D

and yet they have a better record than the Bills over the last 10 years and have been to the playoffs more recently than Buffalo. :blink: