Why the fascination with Owen Schmitt?

I have read through most of the posts about the players we took yesterday and today, and it seems that in every single thread, there are 2 or 3 people who say "should have taken Schmitt". I really have to laugh at all of these people who think a marginally talented fullback will transfrom this offense into the second coming of the K-Gun.....Yeah, I know the guy is "blue collar"...lol.....and btw.....love all of the "wallers" who literally come out of the woodwork for the draft and have nothing but dismal posts for every pick we made! :bag:

I have read through most of the posts about the players we took yesterday and today, and it seems that in every single thread, there are 2 or 3 people who say "should have taken Schmitt". I really have to laugh at all of these people who think a marginally talented fullback will transfrom this offense into the second coming of the K-Gun.....Yeah, I know the guy is "blue collar"...lol.....and btw.....love all of the "wallers" who literally come out of the woodwork for the draft and have nothing but dismal posts for every pick we made! :bag:

I wanted to draft him for the following reasons:

1. We could have gotten a starter for a fifth round pick, and he seemed to be the best FB in the draft.

2. He has a mohawk and breaks facemasks. Seriously, that's just f---in cool.

1. We could have gotten a starter for a fifth round pick, and he seemed to be the best FB in the draft.

Isn't he the guy who was banging his helmet on his head during an ESPN Thursday night game last year? Man, that's all I need to know....what a warrior.

:bag:

Pro Football Weekly said he got manhandled (their words not mine) at the Senior Bowl when he tried to block LB's in a traditional scheme (ie not the spread they ran at WVU). Said he was too often the "nail not the hammer". Guess we will see.

Seems like a good character guy and a leader -- but if you can't play -- you can't play. The Seahawks obviously think he was worth a pick...

Isn't he the guy who was banging his helmet on his head during an ESPN Thursday night game last year? Man, that's all I need to know....what a warrior.

Yeah that was him, but he also cracked 6 (I think) of his facemasks while blocking. That guy just seemed badass.

Pro Football Weekly said he got manhandled (their words not mine) at the Senior Bowl when he tried to block LB's in a traditional scheme (ie not the spread they ran at WVU). Said he was too often the "nail not the hammer". Guess we will see.

Seems like a good character guy and a leader -- but if you can't play -- you can't play. The Seahawks obviously think he was worth a pick...

that's true - Keith Rivers destroyed him on at least one play. It's possible though that an adjustment in blocking technique could change that. Athletically he actually is better than people seem to give him credit for.

Said he was too often the "nail not the hammer".

I have no idea why, but I damn near pissed myself when I read this.

Didn't we sign like fifteen fullbacks so far this offseason anyway?

I thought I had read somewhere that we were going to be incorporating a fullback a lot more in our offense......

But Barnes would do nicely for that as well....and I think the RB we took today could convert to Fullback

I keep reading that and don't understand. Did you watch his videos? They were mostly of his people chasing him from behind while he scampered on a long TD run. I watched many videos Omon and not once did I see him block. What makes people think he is gonna switch to FB? And I have read nothing that says he is a good blocker. Quite the opposite-

Shows raw pass-blocking technique; is only productive when cut blocking defenders.

I think Fine is our HB and we will not use a traditional FB.

I never got the whole Schmitt thing, either. Not only do I just not like the idea of taking a FB until the last couple of rounds (and I have no idea where he actually went), we've yet to see exactly how the Bills intend to use a FB in this offense. They may not use one enough to even warrant a draft pick at the position.

I never got the whole Schmitt thing, either. Not only do I just not like the idea of taking a FB until the last couple of rounds (and I have no idea where he actually went), we've yet to see exactly how the Bills intend to use a FB in this offense. They may not use one enough to even warrant a draft pick at the position.

Touche...looks like this guy from Army we signed is a bruiser as well....and we didn't even have to draft him

Yeah that was him, but he also cracked 6 (I think) of his facemasks while blocking. That guy just seemed badass.

I'm glad the Bills didn't draft him; it sounds as though he has terrible technique.

I have read through most of the posts about the players we took yesterday and today, and it seems that in every single thread, there are 2 or 3 people who say "should have taken Schmitt". I really have to laugh at all of these people who think a marginally talented fullback will transfrom this offense into the second coming of the K-Gun.....Yeah, I know the guy is "blue collar"...lol.....and btw.....love all of the "wallers" who literally come out of the woodwork for the draft and have nothing but dismal posts for every pick we made! :beer:

Agreede. Besides, as I stated in another thread, Corner will be a more impact player than Schmitt.

He didn't even play at the Senior Bowl because of a knee injury.

We definitely got a starter for the STs.....After all we lost several key starters in ST this FA.

:beer:

Then you will love the guy we picked in FA from Army!

I have read through most of the posts about the players we took yesterday and today, and it seems that in every single thread, there are 2 or 3 people who say "should have taken Schmitt". I really have to laugh at all of these people who think a marginally talented fullback will transfrom this offense into the second coming of the K-Gun.....Yeah, I know the guy is "blue collar"...lol.....and btw.....love all of the "wallers" who literally come out of the woodwork for the draft and have nothing but dismal posts for every pick we made! :beer:

It very much reminded me of all the man love for Nugent a couple of years ago. I seem to remember a whole lot of people upset we didn't pick a KICKER in the 2nd round