We're going to be a defensive team folks

Forget the high flying offense...Our team's success will be based on defense. With ALL the major pick ups being on the defensive side, and a most likely a defensive player in the draft, Buffalo will have a dominant D next year...Perhaps like the one we had in 1995

Forget thinking that any WR we draft this year will help us in 2008...I can see us getting a solid TE who will contribute and thats it.

Forget thinking that any WR we draft this year will help us in 2008...I can see us getting a solid TE who will contribute and thats it.

I just love comments like this. Thanks Nostradamus. Can't wait to revisit this thread after Sunday.

I just love comments like this. Thanks Nostradamus. Can't wait to revisit this thread after Sunday.

Not trying to nitpick, but actually I am. I think a better time to revisit this would be during the 2008 season.

i think we'll add some key talent to the O, but yeah we are clearly loading up on D.

we now have a high 1st in our secondary, a high second in our LB core along w two solid (and in crow's case very good) vets, and went out and signed a real stud DT and a guy who i think is gonna be great for us (spencer). along w that we have our pro bowl DE, and a fairly decent rotation.

if we add a 1st or 2nd rounder to our D I think it will be pretty friggen good. i expect us to be in the top 10 in sacks and to really frustrate opposing teams and grab a bunch of picks.

if we go trade down, wr, corner, q groves, te, oc, etc. then we will have some big time firepower on D.

ME LIKEY!!

Its hard to argue that the Bills will be anything but a defensive team. Their offense is miserable and they've made no upgrades to this point. They haven't finished better than 25th in total yardage in the last five years and have been in the bottom 23 teams in scoring four of the last five years. The best showing for the Bills passing game in that time has been 27th, a time during which they haven't broken 3,000 team passing yards once.

This first pick may be a defensive player, but on the balance, I fully expect this draft to lean toward offense. They can't win with the level of ineptitude we've seen on that side of the ball the last several years, no matter how well the defense plays.

Forget the high flying offense...Our team's success will be based on defense. With ALL the major pick ups being on the defensive side, and a most likely a defensive player in the draft, Buffalo will have a dominant D next year...Perhaps like the one we had in 1995

Of course, you are ignoring the fact that last year's offseason focused mainly on the offensive side of the ball (Dockery, Walker, Whittle, Lynch, Edwards, Wright, etc.). The year before was Tripplett and Bowen. That year the Bills used their first five draft picks on the defense: Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Simpson and Williams. Plus Ellison later on. I personally like alternating the focus each year as a team builds. That said, we also drafted Posluszny early in the 2nd last year, so even with a focus in one direction, there is room for the team to make improvements in the other. We need to come out of this draft with a 6-foot-plus WR and a pass catching TE.

Of course, you are ignoring the fact that last year's offseason focused mainly on the offensive side of the ball (Dockery, Walker, Whittle, Lynch, Edwards, Wright, etc.). The year before was Tripplett and Bowen. That year the Bills used their first five draft picks on the defense: Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Simpson and Williams. Plus Ellison later on. I personally like alternating the focus each year as a team builds. That said, we also drafted Posluszny early in the 2nd last year, so even with a focus in one direction, there is room for the team to make improvements in the other. We need to come out of this draft with a 6-foot-plus WR and a pass catching TE.

If you take a close look at what this staff has done in the last two years, they've addressed every unit on the team except the receiving corps. Given that fact (as well as how putrid their passing attack is), it seems logical to assume that the WRs and TEs will be next on the laundry list of things to upgrade.

I also think that the impact of Lee Evans' impending FA next year is being vastly underrated in all of this and will have a major influence in how they approach this draft.

This team's HC is defensive minded, almost to a fault. He exercised no control over the former OC who couldn't call plays for a Pop Warner team. DJ has immense say in who this team drafts, given that the COO isn't a personnel guy. Hopefully Modrak can remind Dick his offense was ranked near the bottom in almost every category save rushing.

It would not surprise me to see a CB in round 1, although with all the resources devoted to the defense in the off-season, it's hard to look at the offense and think that magically this team will improve.

I could accept a pass rusher, but a CB will be a disaster. Who's Trent going to throw to?

Dick Jauron, is that you?

I buy that. TE > WR as far as rookies production this year. I also think the TE solves a lot fo the problems that everyone thinks we need a big WR for.

I buy that. TE > WR as far as rookies production this year. I also think the TE solves a lot fo the problems that everyone thinks we need a big WR for.

You're right. You don't need a big talented reciver to catch a 3 yard pass and get squashed by a linebacker.

If you take a close look at what this staff has done in the last two years, they've addressed every unit on the team except the receiving corps. Given that fact (as well as how putrid their passing attack is), it seems logical to assume that the WRs and TEs will be next on the laundry list of things to upgrade.

I also think that the impact of Lee Evans' impending FA next year is being vastly underrated in all of this and will have a major influence in how they approach this draft.

Outstanding points. I certainly hope your predictions prove accurate.

This team's HC is defensive minded, almost to a fault. He exercised no control over the former OC who couldn't call plays for a Pop Warner team. DJ has immense say in who this team drafts, given that the COO isn't a personnel guy. Hopefully Modrak can remind Dick his offense was ranked near the bottom in almost every category save rushing.

It would not surprise me to see a CB in round 1, although with all the resources devoted to the defense in the off-season, it's hard to look at the offense and think that magically this team will improve.

I could accept a pass rusher, but a CB will be a disaster. Who's Trent going to throw to?

Why would it be a disaster to take a CB, but not a DE? Is the DE going to catch passes from Trent?

Upgrading at either is fine, if the team truely feels that they can get the best player to upgrade the offence the 2nd or move up and get them. So if they take a CB or DE in round 1, and then trade back up to get the best WR on their board, how is that a problem? If the team still gets their guy at WR, whats the problem when they pick them up?

Why? With essentially a rookie QB, it makes sense to keep the offense simple and play to your strengths on defense.

Even if they go WR in round 1, I don't expect the Bills to come out in K-gun passing attack mode in September.