Heard on Sirius radio that JP

I believe that Trent's mature demeanor would allow for him to handle a competition (granted, one tilted in his own favor) from JP for the starting job. So I wish people would stop whining about how a competition somehow compromises his position as a leader for this team. The Brady/Manning argument is just silly. Of course, these guys also have to play at their peak level to fend off competitors for their starting job. It's just that they are so good that no other competitor ever gets close.

JP has skills, but I just don't believe that he is ever going to be consistent enough over the long haul to be a good starting QB in the NFL. Obviously, there isn't a high demand for him around the league, and if he does leave, he won't be finding a starting gig elsewhere either. The sooner he comes to peace with his destiny, the sooner he will realize that there is a place for him with the Bills -- and that he can make plenty of money (some of the top backups are making $3 M per year now), keep his nice house -- and even become a fan favorite. After all, Frank Reich (and to a certain extent AVP) remain beloved figures in Buffalo.

Ya but JP has been hated ever since he got here. Dispite his attempts to win over the fan base ive never seen such negativity directed towards a more team player. Willis and Henry were understandable but people seem to have a vendetta against JP simply because he wasnt the QB everyone had hoped and/or expected

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, even if Losman outperforms Edwards in camp and the pre-season, Edwards should start? If JP sucks so bad, why should any QB competition matter? Edwards should easily beat him out, and will be going into the season as the undisputed starting QB of the Buffalo Bills. Why are some of you so adament about not having a QB competition between Losman (if he's still on the roster) and Edwards? You think Losman sucks. What's there to worry about?

Edwards outperformed JP in camp and pre-season last year, but JP was still the starter...

This is getting old...JP is a great kid, who has had moments of looking good. However, after three years of being in and out of the lineup, for whatever reasons, the one word that would best describe his performance is "inconsistant". I would love to keep him on the team, but I don't think he has done anything, after all this time, to prove that he is a better option than Edwards.

You just have to ask yourself, after 30 something starts, do you really think JP Losman gives the Bills a much better chance to win, than Trent Edwards? If you are being honest, I would think your answer would have to be "no", or "six of one, half dozen of another". This is not a bunch of praise for Trent Edwards, but a statement about JP Losman. Everyone acts as though Losman has not been given a fair chance to win the job! Christ, what else can the team do? He just can't seem to get a handle on things. Don't forget, JP was handed the starting job, in favor of a 12 year vetran, based solely on the thought that he would be better, because the other guy (Bledsoe) wasn't going to get the job done. How much time do we have to wait...at least Edwards has proven, after 9 starts, he is no worse than Losman....and maybe a little better....

there's a difference between having an opportunity to win the job and there being kind of an "open competition" for the starting job - Edwards is the starter, if JP lights it up and Edwards is struggling, then JP gets his shot. The alternative doesn't make any sense.

I'd have to agree with that. I don't think they meant open competition. Edwards is the starter and should be. I've seen enough of JP's inconsistent play.

Much, much more. That is just a stupid thing to say. What season of football did you watch buddy?

Now I think Trent did alot to be excited about, but give me a break, he didn't do "much, much" better than anyone in the league.

The guy seems to be poised and have a good head on his shoulders but he certainly has his downside -- mainly that he throws too many picks -- at bad times -- and he has major durability concerns. These aren't trends from last year either; look at his college stats at Stanford.

It's ignorant comments like the one you made that really fuel these silly arguments on the boards.

May the best captain man the helm!!

Too many picks at bad times is what almost ALL rookie QBs do. J.P. is a four year vet who I still cringe everytime he drops back to pass. I'm not a J.P. hater, nor am I going to put blinders on when it comes to Edwards, but come on J.P. is an R.J. clone.

Because if Losman starts and plays how he has the last 3 years (inconsistent to be nice), then we wasted another year on the JP project. Edwards needs to be the clear cut starter for his sake and his teammates' confidence. Losman has no choice but to give his all this offseason and preseason if he ever wants to get a shot in this league (and a decent contract). Seriously, I can't handle another 1-4 start while JP is "learning" on the job.

Have you seen the '08 schedule? Get ready for 1-4 again.

JP was all against competition when he was the designated starter but now he feels differently. No surprise with athletes.

Way to pull sh-- completely out of your ass. Losman beat out Holcomb and Nall 2 years ago in a competition. But keep making sh-- up if it helps you sleep at night.

I'm all for competition in training camp and pre-season, because trent did little for me to instill a great confidence in him. But, whoever starts the season needs to start the entire season (barring injury). The QB cant keep looking over his shoulder during the season.

However, if i was a betting man, i'd say the safe money is on another season of musical QBs. Jauron needs to win and win now to save his job, so i dont think he'll hesitate to yank them in and out of the lineup to "provide a spark."

Its really too bad Bledsoe blew up so bad..Its really that deal that has put us in a quandry..If he wouldve panned out we wouldve had our qb catastrophe's averted....

Way to pull sh-- completely out of your ass. Losman beat out Holcomb and Nall 2 years ago in a competition. But keep making sh-- up if it helps you sleep at night.

That was no competition that was survival of the worst..LOL..Nall got hurt and was no competition and Holcombe was a joke..Lets be a little realistic..If they wanted competition they wouldve gone out and picked up Kitna and rolled the bones