Statistical expectations from Trent Edwards this season

Ramius

Cut it with the losman sh--. this thread is about edwards. no one wants you polluting a good thread with your crap. Dont you have DBs or the 06 to draft to B word about? its been almost 2 whole hours since you've done so.

Is insulting him in this thread OK? Just checking.

Btw, I think that if healthy, he will reach or surpass your expectations.

Oh....don't lose your sense of humor. :rolleyes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you have a hard on for Edwards, threads about him or Losman will almost always be connected with the other guy not in the subject area. The fact is that a decent amount of Bills fans still favor Losman, so quit whining everytime his name comes up until Edwards leads us to the playoffs.

How does asking what statistical expectations you have for trent edwards have anything to do with JP Losman? Its a simplequestion that requires a relatively simple answer.

How does asking what statistical expectations you have for trent edwards have anything to do with JP Losman? Its a simplequestion that requires a relatively simple answer.

Just because it requires a simple answer in your mind doesn't mean that when some people want to expand on the topic to include the "other" quarterback it's ludicrous. Have more of an open mind, some people think Losman sucks and maybe they're right. Others may think Edwards sucks and maybe they're right. Neither guys has proved anything yet IMO so don't just discount people's views on either guy.

I think that a realistic expectation for Trent next year is 3,000 yards, 20TDs and 18 INTs. Let's not get ahead of ourselves Trent throws alot of picks -- and that's not based on last year. Look at the kid's college career. Now I'm on board with Trent as the right QB for us now, but that doesn't mean we need to turn him into something he's not at this point. Anyone who is saying anything in the ball-park of 32+ TDs and 12 or fewer picks is either ignorant or completely dilusional.

All that being said, those are projections based on Trent remaining healthy for the entire season -- something his college career and this past season would indicate is difficult for him to do.

Just because it requires a simple answer in your mind doesn't mean that when some people want to expand on the topic to include the "other" quarterback it's ludicrous. Have more of an open mind, some people think Losman sucks and maybe they're right. Others may think Edwards sucks and maybe they're right. Neither guys has proved anything yet IMO so don't just discount people's views on either guy.

The issue is not discounting other people's views. The issue is bringing up JP when the topic was purely about individual expectations from TE. Bringing up JP in a round about way circumvents a basic subject which is not logically open for an expansion in that direction. The OP is no way opened the door for Trent's brilliance or suckiness so why even bother to go in that direction. Doing so implicitly speaks to a few who are obsessed with JP in one way or the other. Calling that out is correct.

We all realize that JP is done as starter and that topic is passe. Please let it go. Let us have a clean thread when discussing TE who is now the Bills starter.

The issue is not discounting other people's views. The issue is bringing up JP when the topic was purely about individual expectations from TE. Bringing up JP in a round about way circumvents a basic subject which is not logically open for an expansion in that direction. The OP is no way opened the door for Trent's brilliance or suckiness so why even bother to go in that direction. Doing so implicitly speaks to a few who are obsessed with JP in one way or the other. Calling that out is correct.

We all realize that JP is done as starter and that topic is passe. Please let it go. Let us have a clean thread when discussing TE who is now the Bills starter.

What do you think if the next two years Edwards rotates starting job with Hamden.Lets say coach goes with hot hand .How do you think this will effeck Edwards confendense in himself?Do you think it will make him a better Qb?Good chance this could happen,I hope not but could happen.

For me, i'm expecting a season of around 62% completion, 3200 yds, 19 TD, and 14 INTs. That would be a good season by my standards. If he can hit those benchmarks, i will have a lot of confidence in him heading into 2009. Anything better than that is gravy. My minimum benchmarks that i feel he must reach this season are (again, this is projecting across 16 starts) are 2500 yds, 60% completion, 17 TDs, and 16 INTs. If he cant reach those numbers, i will have some serious reservations about his future.

Is this a joke?

Why would you put up JP's #'s from 2006?

2006 3051 yards 19 TD's 14 INT's 85 QB Rating 62.5 comp% 11th rated passer

Is this a joke?

Why would you put up JP's #'s from 2006?

2006 3051 yards 19 TD's 14 INT's 85 QB Rating 62.5 comp% 11th rated passer

I think I can answer that.....

1. Hoping that Trent can at least get the Bills back to where they were in terms of QB production. Hoping not to take a step backward.

2. Hoping to see what kind of reaction that generates on this board. Many fans feel it wasn't good enough that JP put up those numbers, but possibly many fans here hold Trent to a lesser standard. After all, he's nearly a rookie, only spent a 3rd rounder on him so he gets a pass from many.

3. These numbers would be a big improvement for Trent, a good step in the right direction.

4. Failure to at least do that well would be cause for concern for both Trent and Captain Conservative (Dick Jauron). Jauron should be generating plenty of concern by Bills fans already.

I think I can answer that.....

1. Hoping that Trent can at least get the Bills back to where they were in terms of QB production. Hoping not to take a step backward.

2. Hoping to see what kind of reaction that generates on this board. Many fans feel it wasn't good enough that JP put up those numbers, but possibly many fans here hold Trent to a lesser standard. After all, he's nearly a rookie, only spent a 3rd rounder on him so he gets a pass from many.

3. These numbers would be a big improvement for Trent, a good step in the right direction.

4. Failure to at least do that well would be cause for concern for both Trent and Captain Conservative (Dick Jauron). Jauron should be generating plenty of concern by Bills fans already.

So you are saying that the OP WAS about JP after all? :):rolleyes: There's a shock! :thumbsup:

Also, as far as number 1, Trent didn't get the job because, numbers notwithstanding, he isn't as good or better than JP. Many don't want to face this, but it is true. Besides, I posted JP's second year numbers in post 20.

WRT Jauron I agree. I am plenty concerned.

Since there are a number of people who arent completely sold on Trent as a legit NFL QB, I simply want to know what are your own personal expectations of Trent Edwards for this upcoming season. No excuses, no ifs, no ands, no buts. I dont want to put win expectations on him, because so much depends on the rest of the team, and i'd like to avoid stats like sacks, because a lot of that depends on blocking. I just want to know what passing numbers you would like to see from Trent at the end of the 2008 season that would make you satisfied and or happy with his progress. Also, feel free to note any minimum benchmarks that you feel he *must* reach. I'm also going under the assumption that trent plays the entire season.

For me, i'm expecting a season of around 62% completion, 3200 yds, 19 TD, and 14 INTs. That would be a good season by my standards. If he can hit those benchmarks, i will have a lot of confidence in him heading into 2009. Anything better than that is gravy. My minimum benchmarks that i feel he must reach this season are (again, this is projecting across 16 starts) are 2500 yds, 60% completion, 17 TDs, and 16 INTs. If he cant reach those numbers, i will have some serious reservations about his future.

I'm once again struck by the seeming contradiction in one of your posts. You don't want any excuses and you correctly indicate that sacks have to do with blocking (they have to do with several other factors as well, but I digress). But you seem to hold his pure passing stats as having to be excuse free when the success of the passing game ALSO requires the proper execution of all assigments so I don't know how you can imply that his passing stats are all on Edwards. Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement?

As for your question: ANY completion percentage approaching 60% or above is fine. ANY TD/INT ratio of 3/1 is outstanding, I don't care about the actual numbers. The BIGGEST stats for me aren't the ones that show up to the casual observer. I want to see MANAGEABLE down & distance situations on 2nd and third. QB has the most to do with that. Of course that leads to more 1st down conversions and more opportunities. TE accomplishes that and we will be in position to win more often than not, at least from an offensive perspective.

GO BILLS!!!

It won't surprise me in the slightest if he has more ints. than tds. It happens to A LOT of rookies.

He's not a rookie anymore. :rolleyes:

And to anwser the original question:

He needs to score points and win games.

Stats are for fantasy football.

What do you think if the next two years Edwards rotates starting job with Hamden.Lets say coach goes with hot hand .How do you think this will effeck Edwards confendense in himself?Do you think it will make him a better Qb?Good chance this could happen,I hope not but could happen.

Again, the questions you pose are not part of the original post so I will refrain from answering.

I'm once again struck by the seeming contradiction in one of your posts. You don't want any excuses and you correctly indicate that sacks have to do with blocking (they have to do with several other factors as well, but I digress). But you seem to hold his pure passing stats as having to be excuse free when the success of the passing game ALSO requires the proper execution of all assigments so I don't know how you can imply that his passing stats are all on Edwards. Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement?

As for your question: ANY completion percentage approaching 60% or above is fine. ANY TD/INT ration of 3/1 is outstanding, I don't care about the actual numbers. The BIGGEST stats for me aren't the ones that show up to the casual observer. I want to see MANAGEABLE down & distance situations on 2nd and third. QB has the most to do with that. Of course that leads to more 1st down conversions and more opportunities. TE accomplishes that and we will be in position to win more often than not, at least from an offensive perspective.

GO BILLS!!!

you are reading too much into it. I meant this topic as a gauge to see what kind of statistical expectations people had for trent as a QB. I know there are 6 million factors that go into being a good QB, so thats why i limited my question to simply statistical numbers.

And for the posters that noticed i used JP's 2006 stats, its because i considered that a good season for a young QB. I will be satisfied if Trent puts up similar numbers. Those are the expectations i have for young QBs. About 200 yds per game, a little over a TD per game, and a little under an INT per game.

As for your question: ANY completion percentage approaching 60% or above is fine. ANY TD/INT ration of 3/1 is outstanding, I don't care about the actual numbers. The BIGGEST stats for me aren't the ones that show up to the casual observer. I want to see MANAGEABLE down & distance situations on 2nd and third. QB has the most to do with that. Of course that leads to more 1st down conversions and more opportunities. TE accomplishes that and we will be in position to win more often than not, at least from an offensive perspective.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, I'd say that play calling is a huge component of any 1st down offense. An offense that is self-limiting on 1st and 10 is a moribund offense.

Actually, I'd say that play calling is a huge component of any 1st down offense. An offense that is self-limiting on 1st and 10 is a moribund offense.

Couldn't agree more. I would hope that 1st down playcalling this year includes the option for a QB to call a different play if he sees something he likes better from the defense. There was VERY little of that as far as I could tell last year.

GO BILLS!!!