Trent Edwards College Recruitment

I was wondering.. why did Trent Edwards back coming out of high school, as one of the best quarterbacks in the country, decide to go to Stanford? I mean.. look at these schools that recruited him.

Standford (LOI)

Tennessee

UCLA

Washington

California

Florida

Michigan

He must have wanted an education or he thought it was the best place to play, liked the coach who knows. It could be any one of thee factors or something we cant even speculate on

He's smart. He didn't want a "basket weaving" degree I'd be willing to bet.

A friend of mine went to Geneseo and one of the players on their hockey team had a textbook with a chapter entitled; "Recognizing Ideas." As another friend put it; "I guess they take hockey very seriously down in Geneseo."

Trent is not a guy that picked a school based on his football aspirations. I've read he would retire early just to pursue humanitarian efforts. The school he picked was relevant to his ambitions, and future goals. Retiring early is something people might laugh at given his youth, but most articles point to him having greater importance in people, and those who are less fortunate then football. This isn't a guy who got in the spotlight and decided to make a difference. He decided to make a difference as a teenager and his current job just gives him that much more ability to do so. I know in my life I've met few men of such character. I'm glad we have a person like that whose just as dedicated to the game as he is to those less fortunate then us.

I have to think location was a factor, too. Trent grew up in Los Gatos, CA. The Stanford campus is less than 20 miles from there. So he gets the opportunity to go to one of the top academic schools in the world, become the starting quarterback for an above-average D1 program (granted, they sucked last year, but they have had their share of greatness over the years; John Elway, anyone?), and stay close to his family (we know from Chris Brown's reports that he's extremely close with his family, especially his sister).

Maybe it's just that I've lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 20 years and have been brainwashed about how excellent Stanford is, but I can't fault Trent one bit for his choice. Certainly didn't seem to hurt his chances of playing in the NFL!

Trent is not a guy that picked a school based on his football aspirations. I've read he would retire early just to pursue humanitarian efforts. The school he picked was relevant to his ambitions, and future goals. Retiring early is something people might laugh at given his youth, but most articles point to him having greater importance in people, and those who are less fortunate then football. This isn't a guy who got in the spotlight and decided to make a difference. He decided to make a difference as a teenager and his current job just gives him that much more ability to do so. I know in my life I've met few men of such character. I'm glad we have a person like that whose just as dedicated to the game as he is to those less fortunate then us.

Yeah but does he give a damn about beautifying Buffalo? :cry:

Trent wanted to go to a school where there'd be low expectations and so he wouldnt have to compete with anyone.

[/tards]

:cry: Trent got served!

Wasn't that why JP transfered from UCLA?

:lol: JP got served right back!

Awwww snap, it's on

I have to think location was a factor, too. Trent grew up in Los Gatos, CA. The Stanford campus is less than 20 miles from there. So he gets the opportunity to go to one of the top academic schools in the world, become the starting quarterback for an above-average D1 program (granted, they sucked last year, but they have had their share of greatness over the years; John Elway, anyone?), and stay close to his family (we know from Chris Brown's reports that he's extremely close with his family, especially his sister).

Maybe it's just that I've lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 20 years and have been brainwashed about how excellent Stanford is, but I can't fault Trent one bit for his choice. Certainly didn't seem to hurt his chances of playing in the NFL!

Your post just about sums it up. I'd also like to add:

Standford (LOI)

Tennessee - Inbreds sipping moonshine before the game sucks.

UCLA - Everything about SoCal sucks.

Washington - The weather sucks.

California - Hippies and whackjobs suck.

Florida - Humidity and bugs suck.

Michigan - Weather and ice fishing suck.

sarcasm my friend.

And to answer your question, no it wasnt.

When he spoke to the campers at Jim Kelly Football Camp, JP told them he transferred from UCLA to TU-lane (yes, that's how he says it. Huge emphasis on TU) because he wanted to get away from his family a little bit to give himself the chance to mature. With UCLA being so close to his home, it was like he didn't have to grow up if he didn't want to. He could have went and slept in his own bed any night, etc.

When he spoke to the campers at Jim Kelly Football Camp, JP told them he transferred from UCLA to TU-lane (yes, that's how he says it. Huge emphasis on TU) because he wanted to get away from his family a little bit to give himself the chance to mature. With UCLA being so close to his home, it was like he didn't have to grow up if he didn't want to. He could have went and slept in his own bed any night, etc.

Not the version I heard. He was unhappy that the coaches made him compete for the starting job after they told him they would not sign another QB. Supposedly, there more to it but I really dont want to delve.

Not the version I heard. He was unhappy that the coaches made him compete for the starting job after they told him they would not sign another QB. Supposedly, there more to it but I really dont want to delve.

Are you implying that Saint Losman would lie to hundreds of children? :cry:

I wonder if JP ever made up north to the TU-lare Antique Farm Equipment Show... He's a SoCal kid, so I highly doubt he's made the trek up north. That's too bad for him because it's a kick in the pants weekend.

Clearly because education is important. Not all football players think that.

I was wondering.. why did Trent Edwards back coming out of high school, as one of the best quarterbacks in the country, decide to go to Stanford? I mean.. look at these schools that recruited him.

Standford (LOI)

Tennessee

UCLA

Washington

California

Florida

Michigan

I can think of nine good reasons why Trent chose Stanford.

1. NFL. Stanford is a pipeline to the NFL. In the last 10 years Stanford has had 35 players drafted by the NFL -- second most in the Pac-10 behind USC. Since 2002, Trent's freshman red-shirt season, they have had 26 players drafted.

2. Academics. Stanford is the finest academic institution in the United States. This is not a four year decision. It is a forty year decision.

3. Quarterback U. Stanford has a storied football tradition, producing quarterbacks such as John Elway, Jim Plunkett and John Brodie. An article in 2005 addressing this topic declared that Stanford has produced more pro-quality quarterbacks since 1960 than any other school in the country (Notre Dame, USC, LSU and Florida State rounded out the top five).

4. Location. The Stanford campus is gorgeous and the weather in Palo Alto is sunny and warm nearly year round. It is also only 40 minutes from San Francisco and a few miles from the beach.

5. Coeds. The Stanford women’s volleyball team and swim team. Trust me on this one.

6. Athletics. Overall the Stanford athletic department is dominant, winning the Director’s Cup as the nation’s top Division I athletic program 13 years in a row (and leading again this year).

7. Conference. Stanford plays in the Pac-10, an excellent football conference that is quarterback friendly.

8. Recent History. When Trent was being recruited, Stanford had been to bowl games six of the previous ten seasons (including the Rose Bowl in 1999, Stanford’s twelfth Rose Bowl appearance).

9. Extra Guidance. In addition to the coaching staff, at Stanford Trent could and did seek guidance from Bill Walsh.

Mama's boy. He didn't want to be far from home.