I'm SHOCKED

And as tax revenues decrease, look for this and other methods like artificially/arbitrarily lowering speed limits to be on the rise. (I've seen this happening already. One well-traveled road near me now has a 15 mph (15 :cry: ing miles per hour!!!) speed limit down from 35 w/ no causation or explanation. Wouldn't want rural communities to be left out of the moneygrab, wouldya?) A little birdie told me that the state of CT and municipality police departments are getting funding for a new strain of radar systems.

If they can't wring any more blood from the corporate stone, govt will get the money somehow.

And as tax revenues decrease, look for this and other methods like artificially/arbitrarily lowering speed limits to be on the rise. (I've seen this happening already. One well-traveled road near me now has a 15 mph (15 :cry: ing miles per hour!!!) speed limit down from 35 w/ no causation or explanation. Wouldn't want rural communities to be left out of the moneygrab, wouldya?) A little birdie told me that the state of CT and municipality police departments are getting funding for a new strain of radar systems.

If they can't wring any more blood from the corporate stone, govt will get the money somehow.

A couple weeks ago I got a parking ticket for parking my car ON MY OWN !@#$ING GRASS. A few months ago, I got a ticket from a speeding camera for doing 35 in a 15mph school zone...at 10pm on a Sunday night, when school was out and the speed limit was 35.

They're trying very hard here to make up for lost revenue from fewer real estate transactions.

At the expensive of the citizens' safety? Gee, nothing.

:cry: I should not laugh. It is all about revenue. Economics rules the world. It is why there are so many speed traps. It is why NYC is fining businesses for having too many letters on their awning. It is why in CT they fine you if you have two drinks of alcohol in front of you(shot and beer or a beer with a couple sips left and a new beer), etc.

What's wrong with using creative ways to generate revenues in supporting the growth of local government?

You don't get it, do you? Let me help....

These measures are taken for the insurance companies. Your premiums will go sky high after a red light or 2. I would bet any amount of money that the mayors of these cities received big bucks from insurance companies for their campaigns.

Moral of the story? If you think that this was done to protect motorists, pedestrians, etc., you are naive.

Hope this helps.

You don't get it, do you? Let me help....

These measures are taken for the insurance companies. Your premiums will go sky high after a red light or 2. I would bet any amount of money that the mayors of these cities received big bucks from insurance companies for their campaigns.

Moral of the story? If you think that this was done to protect motorists, pedestrians, etc., you are naive.

Hope this helps.

Down here at least, citations from red light cameras are not reported to insurance companies. You get the citation in the mail, with a statement to the effect of "Pay the fine by mail and you're scott free, challenge this in court and we will !@#$ you up the ass." Because, among other reasons, it's simply easier to manage the revenue stream if the courts (and hence insurance companies) aren't involved.

Down here at least, citations from red light cameras are not reported to insurance companies. You get the citation in the mail, with a statement to the effect of "Pay the fine by mail and you're scott free, challenge this in court and we will !@#$ you up the ass." Because, among other reasons, it's simply easier to manage the revenue stream if the courts (and hence insurance companies) aren't involved.

Here in OC you just get yourself one of these get out of tickets for free license plates.

That is true, because there is no way to know who was driving the car.

In NYS, money is given to police departments for "red light overtime." A police officer (if he wanted to keep getting it) needed 15 or so red light summonses. Guys hated it, but did it if they really needed money.

Btw, I got one of those camera summonses a few years ago. It was accompanied by a picture which indicated that I was clearly through the marked crosswalk when the light was red.

I pled not guilty by mail, and of course lost.

A couple weeks ago I got a parking ticket for parking my car ON MY OWN !@#$ING GRASS. A few months ago, I got a ticket from a speeding camera for doing 35 in a 15mph school zone...at 10pm on a Sunday night, when school was out and the speed limit was 35.

They're trying very hard here to make up for lost revenue from fewer real estate transactions.

In Illinois they have on the signs (speed and turn on red):

On school days when children are present.

I take they soon will be removing that...

:P