I'm talking glory here. Buffalo will get their Bills paid

Am I talking Super Bowl? It's possible maybe just not probable but I'm talking play-offs, deep play-offs. The biggest competition comes not only from our conference but from our division. Splitting the season with the Patriots will be huge for our playoff and division aspirations. Having some kind of homefield advantage in the play-offs would also make a difference in our post season success. The top contenders are New England, San Diego, Indiapolis, and Jacksonville. There are plenty more in the conference that could be mentioned but at this point of the off season but they would have to be considered dark horses just like us. If we are able to wrestle the division title away from the Patriots then the other three teams that I mentioned are either warm weather teams or a indoor team. Having a play-off game in Buffalo late in the year could prove to be huge, especially if it's inclement weather.

We have much of our nucleus in place for a serious run at success. There is not one area on our team that is lacking dramaticly. Each area is just one or two players from being just average to great.

QB- Edwards is going to be everything that we hope for as long as he stays healthy. He has a great release, extremely accurate and processes with what's going on the field very quickly. Having a year under his belt will only propel his results more. What is needed is an adequate back-up, whethern if it's a veteran of if Hamdan is capable of stepping up.

OL- They were really coming into their own as the season progressed. Here is where we need a player, possibly two. I would really like to see an upgrade at the C position and at least a player who could fill in for Jason Peters in the event of injury.

WR- Believe it or not we have very good receivers. Granted, we need a big possession type receiver for the #2 position. It's going to happen in the draft, first day actually.

TE- How important is the TE position? It's important but mostly for blocking. It's easy to get frustrated when you watch the likes of Gonzalez, Witten, Gates, and others but grabbing a servicable one for pass catching could and should be addressed in the mid rds (3-5). I seen a lot of effort from Royal in some of these games last year and while he may not be the answer to what we are looking for he does solidfy one of the two TE positions. Think of Denver with Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler. We need a Scheffler. I think that Jacob Tamme is that kind of TE and he can be available in the 4th of 5th rd.

RB- C'mon, do we need to go there? We are more than adequate and this is not an area of concern at this time.

DL- We have GOOD DEs. Adding a blue chip DE would most certainly make this position a force. At DT was resolved in free agency and this finally looks to be a solid position for us.

Secondary- Another position that we'll add to in the draft but it's not an eyesore. We have dealt with more than our share of injuries and at this position in particular.

LB- We have good, young starters but we can stand to fortify this position even more by the draft and/or June 1st cuts. Injuries of course changes the complexion of any of the above by I'm counting on the law of average for our success.

STs- We have one of the best in the league even with the losses we had this off season. Between RB and STs these are the two areas where we have some comfort level.

I look at our positions on our team and I'm alot more optimistic than discouraged. This was just a brief general overview but I feel that it's more accurate than not. I'm expecting big results in this year's draft and team.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. Very positive with a lot of good info, ideas and facts. I especially agree with your view of using the June 1st cuts to shore up the team. It seems like a lot of people are forgetting that there is often a lot of quality depth players available.

I just don't know about "deep" in the playoffs. We're young and getting better, but I think it'll be another year before we're beating the likes of the Pats, Jags, Steelers, Colts, etc... in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

I once dissed u for posting dumb thoughts. I retract and apologize, you are dead on here

Thank you and no offense taken.

IMO it will all hinge on Edwards.

GO TRENT!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with you Mr. Dibs.

Nice post. Very positive with a lot of good info, ideas and facts. I especially agree with your view of using the June 1st cuts to shore up the team. It seems like a lot of people are forgetting that there is often a lot of quality depth players available.

I just don't know about "deep" in the playoffs. We're young and getting better, but I think it'll be another year before we're beating the likes of the Pats, Jags, Steelers, Colts, etc... in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

How deep we got into the play-offs would of course hinge on a few very important factors. Those being splitting with the Patriots and having a good division record, a strong conference record and playing at home against the rights team(s) in inclement weather. Playing home against the likes of Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Denver definitely dilutes the advantage of playing against warm weather/indoor teams.

Am I talking Super Bowl? It's possible maybe just not probable but I'm talking play-offs, deep play-offs. The biggest competition comes not only from our conference but from our division. Splitting the season with the Patriots will be huge for our playoff and division aspirations. Having some kind of homefield advantage in the play-offs would also make a difference in our post season success. The top contenders are New England, San Diego, Indiapolis, and Jacksonville. There are plenty more in the conference that could be mentioned but at this point of the off season but they would have to be considered dark horses just like us. If we are able to wrestle the division title away from the Patriots then the other three teams that I mentioned are either warm weather teams or a indoor team. Having a play-off game in Buffalo late in the year could prove to be huge, especially if it's inclement weather.

We have much of our nucleus in place for a serious run at success. There is not one area on our team that is lacking dramaticly. Each area is just one or two players from being just average to great.

Wow. I wish I had your optimism, but I just do not see it. The facts are, this team was putrid last year, in literally every aspect of the game. At this point, I see no real improvement from that abortion the Bills called an offense. Yes, we go rid of Fairchild, but we replaced him with The Turk, a coach who has never been an OC before until now. And he has to answer to one of the more incompetent head coaches in the league.

QB- Edwards is going to be everything that we hope for as long as he stays healthy. He has a great release, extremely accurate and processes with what's going on the field very quickly. Having a year under his belt will only propel his results more. What is needed is an adequate back-up, whethern if it's a veteran of if Hamdan is capable of stepping up.

We can only hope Edwards turns out to be everything we hope to be. But the reality is, he got worse as the year progressed, and 2008 will be only his second year in the league. Does that mean he will suck next year? Of course not. But combing a second year QB with a 'rookie' OC does not have me jumping for joy.

And maybe it is just me, but I cannot shake the feeling we Bills fans are not looking at the next 'Joe Montana', but we are looking at Shaun King v2.0.

OL- They were really coming into their own as the season progressed. Here is where we need a player, possibly two. I would really like to see an upgrade at the C position and at least a player who could fill in for Jason Peters in the event of injury.

WR- Believe it or not we have very good receivers. Granted, we need a big possession type receiver for the #2 position. It's going to happen in the draft, first day actually.

TE- How important is the TE position? It's important but mostly for blocking. It's easy to get frustrated when you watch the likes of Gonzalez, Witten, Gates, and others but grabbing a servicable one for pass catching could and should be addressed in the mid rds (3-5). I seen a lot of effort from Royal in some of these games last year and while he may not be the answer to what we are looking for he does solidfy one of the two TE positions. Think of Denver with Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler. We need a Scheffler. I think that Jacob Tamme is that kind of TE and he can be available in the 4th of 5th rd.

RB- C'mon, do we need to go there? We are more than adequate and this is not an area of concern at this time.

DL- We have GOOD DEs. Adding a blue chip DE would most certainly make this position a force. At DT was resolved in free agency and this finally looks to be a solid position for us.

Secondary- Another position that we'll add to in the draft but it's not an eyesore. We have dealt with more than our share of injuries and at this position in particular.

LB- We have good, young starters but we can stand to fortify this position even more by the draft and/or June 1st cuts. Injuries of course changes the complexion of any of the above by I'm counting on the law of average for our success.

STs- We have one of the best in the league even with the losses we had this off season. Between RB and STs these are the two areas where we have some comfort level.

I look at our positions on our team and I'm alot more optimistic than discouraged. This was just a brief general overview but I feel that it's more accurate than not. I'm expecting big results in this year's draft and team.

Wow. I wish I had your optimism, but I just do not see it. The facts are, this team was putrid last year, in literally every aspect of the game. At this point, I see no real improvement from that abortion the Bills called an offense. Yes, we go rid of Fairchild, but we replaced him with The Turk, a coach who has never been an OC before until now. And he has to answer to one of the more incompetent head coaches in the league.

We can only hope Edwards turns out to be everything we hope to be. But the reality is, he got worse as the year progressed, and 2008 will be only his second year in the league. Does that mean he will suck next year? Of course not. But combing a second year QB with a 'rookie' OC does not have me jumping for joy.

And maybe it is just me, but I cannot shake the feeling we Bills fans are not looking at the next 'Joe Montana', but we are looking at Shaun King v2.0.

Yet we still managed 7 wins.

I agree with your assessment about OC. It may spell little improvement.....though it may well show just how bad the OC was last season & how much talent we actually have on O. I know most think we are devoid of talent but as I said earlier, it will hinge on Edwards. If he can show solid QB play.....we have a potential top 10 WR.....Probowl LT.....good overall talent on OL(sans C).....good #3/4 WRs.....and a budding star at RB(how good could he be with a better gameplan & being allowed to use his natural receiving skills?). A #2 WR &/or TE is all that may be needed for this O to be very good.....along with Edwards improving of course......and a professional game plan by the OC.

Teams having more game tapes on Edwards is partly responsible for him degressing. In all fairness to Fairchild had he not scaled back our offense Edwards' growth would have been stunted before he was ever allowed to grow. The guy was a rookie and early on I believe that the administration realized that there was a much bigger difference between him and Losman than they ever expected.

I know that one game doesn't tell everything but I watched that Buffalo/Dallas game again last night and Edwards was darn right great on most of his decisions and delivery of the ball. This guy is way ahead of the curve for a rookie QB. I realize that he did make some mistakes in that game but minor ones that can be easily corrected. Our offense didn't help either. I am more concerned with our OL and Lynch not providing more help than they did. Having such big linemen we should have been blowing people off the line and getting Lynch the opportunity for a good game. I hold Lynch accountable to a certain degree also for not being able to provide better production. In both cases though we have a newly formed OL that is learning to play with each other and a rookie RB. It doesn't help our cause either that we were playing against a very good DL that has been playing together a little longer than our OL has. These aren't excuses but reality. I think that in our second year we'll be seeing a quantum leap in our progress, especially if we make the proper aqusitions that are needed to fortify our roster.

Yet we still managed 7 wins.

Against some of the crappiest teams in the league. Is it any coincidence 6 of those wins came against teams that were below .500? Historically speaking, no.

Jauron coached teams typically can only beat the crappier teams.

And when one looks at the 2007 results, 4 of those wins came against the Jets and the Dolphins. Luckily for us, the Dolphins ended being the worst team in the league, and the Jets were just as bad, if not worse, than the Bills.

I agree with your assessment about OC. It may spell little improvement.....though it may well show just how bad the OC was last season & how much talent we actually have on O. I know most think we are devoid of talent but as I said earlier, it will hinge on Edwards. If he can show solid QB play.....we have a potential top 10 WR.....Probowl LT.....good overall talent on OL(sans C).....good #3/4 WRs.....and a budding star at RB(how good could he be with a better gameplan & being allowed to use his natural receiving skills?). A #2 WR &/or TE is all that may be needed for this O to be very good.....along with Edwards improving of course......and a professional game plan by the OC.

I agree, the offense was so bad last year we really have no idea what kind of talent we do have. It will take watching this offense playing under a real game plan just to asses the strengths and weaknesses. And you can count me among those that think the Tight End situation is not nearly as bad as others may claim. Better play calling (hopefully) will allow us to see better utilization of the TE. Does that mean Royal will become the next Crumpler? No. But I will settle for a Pete Metzelaars type. A guy that can exploit the seams underneath, has decent hands, and is more of a complement to the WRs than a primary/secondary focal point of the passing game.

And yes, Edwards is the key. And that is part of my issue. Everybody seems to be counting banking on Edwards making a 'quantum' improvement over last year. I can see him improving, but enough to carry this team to the playoffs? That may be to much to ask of a second year QB being directed by a 'rookie' OC.

Jason Garrett was never an OC before last year. In fact the year before, he was the QBs coach for the Fins and worked "miracles with Culpepper and Harrington.

And quick, tell me the last time the Bills hired a coach who was Coach of the year and a runner up in another year? Because that's on Jauron's resume.

Or Edwards played in 2 of the worst weather games in Bills' history? Without context, it looks like Edwards was terrible. However when you look at the big picture, he outperformed the Super Bowl MVP (Manning) and was basically even with a Pro Bowl QB (Anderson). All this with the worst #2 receiver in football (Reed is a solid 3 but a horrible #2).

As for your silly King comparison, it's all in how you look at things. But for your effort to diss Edwards by comparing him to King, King did help take Tampa to the NFC title game. Personally, I'd take that.

Am I talking Super Bowl?

I certainly am - and I expect the Bills to do their part on February 1, 2009 (The Senator's 50th Natal Anniversary!)

Great overview, and great attitude - another excellent draft, a healthy Poz (et al), and strong sophomore seasons from Trent and Marshawn and we can shock the league!

I expect this to be a great team, and a great season...

19 and 0 baby!!! :cry:

GO BILLSSS!!!!!

Posluszny!!!!! :w00t:

I do think we need a lot more in a TE than another blocker, but otherwise I hope your optimism is prophetic to the 2008 season and beyond! :w00t:

Teams having more game tapes on Edwards is partly responsible for him degressing. In all fairness to Fairchild had he not scaled back our offense Edwards' growth would have been stunted before he was ever allowed to grow. The guy was a rookie and early on I believe that the administration realized that there was a much bigger difference between him and Losman than they ever expected.

Only 'partly' responsible? What was the rest? Coaching? Surrounding talent? Edward's ability? And just so I understand part of your position, are you saying the Bills coaches 'scaled back' the offense to accommodate Edwards? If so, and you now think Edwards will so greatly improve in one off season that he will lead the Bills to the playoffs. Edwards should improve, no doubt, but I just do not see it to the extent you see it.

I know that one game doesn't tell everything but I watched that Buffalo/Dallas game again last night and Edwards was darn right great on most of his decisions and delivery of the ball. This guy is way ahead of the curve for a rookie QB. I realize that he did make some mistakes in that game but minor ones that can be easily corrected. Our offense didn't help either. I am more concerned with our OL and Lynch not providing more help than they did. Having such big linemen we should have been blowing people off the line and getting Lynch the opportunity for a good game. I hold Lynch accountable to a certain degree also for not being able to provide better production. In both cases though we have a newly formed OL that is learning to play with each other and a rookie RB. It doesn't help our cause either that we were playing against a very good DL that has been playing together a little longer than our OL has. These aren't excuses but reality. I think that in our second year we'll be seeing a quantum leap in our progress, especially if we make the proper aqusitions that are needed to fortify our roster.

Your are right, one game does not tell the whole story. While he may have looked good in the Dallas game, Edwards looked befuddled in the second Jets game. He had no clue on how to deal with CB blitz the Jets were running against him. At this point, teams are still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work against Edwards. As more game film is generated, Edwards habits and tendencies will become more pronounced, forcing the Bills coaches to work on correcting or minimizing the negative ones.

And that's why I expect another year of growing pains for Edwards, and not some great leap in improvement.

How can you be a Bills fan and not slit your wrists? :w00t:

I see that there's no mention of head coach Dick Jauron in your overview. Unless this guy has a major change of attitude in offensive philosophy, there's still much to be discouraged about if you're a Bills fan. Jauron is a career loser as a head coach and last season he received many "gimmie" type games against the NFL most putrid teams. I see Jauron as a guy who coaches like he's just happy to be sitting on the merrygoround, not someone who's going to risk falling off by trying to grab the brass ring. He refuses to attack teams or even at the very least be an unpredictable team. This is Dick Jauron. He's a guy that is averse to risk in any form or fashion. That will get you between a 7-9 and 9-7 record every year in the NFL, but what it won't get you is being a contender for the NFL championship. I hope this guy sees the light because I don't want to go through anymore changes. This guy WILL be gone if he pulls out the play-not-to-lose method and we're 7-9 again. Not a big fan of Jauron and hope this losing leopard can change his spots and grow a pair. The JP Losman excuse is gone, the Steve Fairchild excuse is gone. Thankfully, it will finally be his dumb play-it-safe ass on the hot seat (as it should be) in 2008.

Good stuff.

We're a young team. Talented too.

We just have a few holes to fill, but it's looking good.

I'm excited about the new season.

I'm jacked for it. I smell a wildcard.

[sigh] It's too bad I say this every year. One of these days I'll be right.