Anyone know what the holdup is with re-signing Evans?

$$$$, Evans (does he want to stay?), and his agent....

My gut tells me he's readying himself to move on. I hope not, but that's what it looks like to me.

It's the draft. The Bills are readying for the draft and I doubt we'll see anything done until after the draft. He has another year on his contract and it may be training camp or after before we see anything.

My gut tells me he's readying himself to move on. I hope not, but that's what it looks like to me.

There is a downside risk for Lee in not getting a deal done now.

He's here for at least a couple more years under any scenario--this year and then the Bills put the franchise tag on him next. So lets say the Bills and Lee don't get an extension done before the draft and the Bills as expected draft a WR in round 1 or 2. Its not out of the realm of possibility that the drafted receiver emerges as the #1 toward the end of this year and through next year -- Evans is hosed and his stats won't justify the kind of money he could get today.

Its not a huge risk but one Evans and his agent need to consider. If the Bills draft a receiver at 11 -- the contract will be in the range of $3-4M a year average- for 5 years--Patrick Willis - last years #11 signed for 5 years at $16.7 Million -- this is what some teams are paying #2's and around what many of us thought Bryant Johnson was worth.

You're right - what is taking so long? These $50-60 million deals should take no more than what, a day or two?

I agree with you 100% nuttin. This deal should have been completed already, and the blame lies with our front office (who are a bunch of paper clip counters, not football people).

There is a downside risk for Lee in not getting a deal done now.

He's here for at least a couple more years under any scenario--this year and then the Bills put the franchise tag on him next. So lets say the Bills and Lee don't get an extension done before the draft and the Bills as expected draft a WR in round 1 or 2. Its not out of the realm of possibility that the drafted receiver emerges as the #1 toward the end of this year and through next year -- Evans is hosed and his stats won't justify the kind of money he could get today.

Its not a huge risk but one Evans and his agent need to consider. If the Bills draft a receiver at 11 -- the contract will be in the range of $3-4M a year average- for 5 years--Patrick Willis - last years #11 signed for 5 years at $16.7 Million -- this is what some teams are paying #2's and around what many of us thought Bryant Johnson was worth.

I partly agree with what you are saying. However, I do think there is ample scope to have two excellent receivers on the team. From that perspective, the front office should not be gun-shy with respect to signing Lee now. BTW, he is under contract for the next two years (not just this year as you mentioned).

I have to disagree with others who said that the front office is busy with draft preps. But the ones responsible for draft boards and those in charge of contracts should be different, no ? Even if they need to have the others' input, it seems logical to me that getting a contract done for one player while the scouts and coaches are strategizing for the draft, should be do-able. And I don't know where the 'one, two day' comment originates from but it has been a fairly long time since the season ended and a few weeks since we made the quick FA moves. There have been plenty of days to negotiate a contract. For all we know, both sides are working on the negotiations.

I hope not. Lee has 2 more years left on his contract and in the worst case scenario could be Franchise tagged for another year. So that gives us 3 years of his service.

However, it will be in the best interest for Lee to get a extension done now to get his security with the signing bonus which can be in the 10-12M range rather than wait another two years. An NFL player is a play away from being out of the league....

The bills will get it done after the draft is over. I am sure they have already exchanged proposals to see where they are.

I think it is voidable by Lee if he hits certain incentives...I am not sure what the incentives are ? Pro-Bowl ??

Well if it's multiple probowls, we won't have to worry about that. Seriously he's a good receiver, but we shouldn't break the bank on a good receiver. In my opinion, he is very replacable. I have said it in the past and say it again, he is just a better version of Peerless Price.

You're right - what is taking so long? These $50-60 million deals should take no more than what, a day or two?

I agree with this, but add one more caveat that I would think Lee and his agent are considering, and that is the CBA. I would think they might want to see how the wind blows on that. For sake of argument, lets say no extension for Lee this year, and he gets franchised next year. Lee refuses to report unless he is granted the dreaded promise to not tag again in 2010. So heading into 09, his numbers will average that of the top 5, which will then include Fitzgerald's contract that was just redone

Also, lets say the owners void the CBA, which looks like it MAY happen, and Lee is entering UFA in an uncapped year. Now that my friends is an agents wet dream. Not saying this is going to happen, but there is more to this than just saying get er done, at least to this simpletons mind.

So for those saying its all on the front office, takes two to tango.